NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

B&W Cat

I see WO have brought out a limited edition black and white version of the RedCat 51. Whatever next.....tabby cat perhaps? A dog range maybe? A chihuahua 50 at one end and a Great Dane 156 at the other. Personally I would go for something in the middle like Retriever 81 (in gold).

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Radman40 said:

I see WO have brought out a limited edition black and white version of the RedCat 51. Whatever next.....tabby cat perhaps? A dog range maybe? A chihuahua 50 at one end and a Great Dane 156 at the other. Personally I would go for something in the middle like Retriever 81 (in gold).

Do you have a picture of it? Love my Redcat been thinking about getting a second for dual rig!

2 hours ago, saac said:

Now that is nice looking. I've been thinking about a Red Cat for a while now; I'm not a huge fan of the bling Red but I do like that. Christmas list amended :) 

Jim 

I'm not a fan of the bright colours either - I bought a ZS61 in space grey - I'd have bought a different scope had the choice only been gold or red. I suppose it makes them stand out, but they are just a bit too garish for me.

• Like 1

On 21/09/2022 at 22:11, saac said:

That image is very Space 1999 Martin Landau and Barbera Bain engaged in an encounter with an other world entity with soft lighting and ethereal incidental music bright....

On 22/09/2022 at 06:19, Simon Pepper said:

Thanks! I like my colours bold unlike the guys here I got a Redcat so I think I would get red again but that’s just me 😂

I have an iOptron RC6, which is red. It would not have been my first choice of colour, I would have preferred blue, but that is what it was available in. Now I quite like it. Not sure about mixing it with my blue anodised mount and Skywatcher finder with green anodised focusser, but I'm not going to paint it all black! 😀

Edited by Mandy D
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, licho52 said:

This scheme clashes with AsiAir and the whole ZWO kit.  It only would look good on some ioptron mounts and qhy/dslr cameras and no AsiAir.   Big miss for me.

I really don't understand what a colour scheme has to do with astronomy and the end results?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, licho52 said:

Why are you quoting me?  Did I say it has anything to do with either of these things?

If I read correctly you say the white and black of the new red cat would clash with the ZWO colour scheme and would be more suited with an ioptron mount and this would be a problem for you?.. so yes I quoted you and replied that I dont see how this really matters.  I would happy buy a white telescope and place a red camera on it

Well it arrived as promised (delivered by DPD from FLO).  First impressions out of the box, it screams quality certainly from the mechanical point of view. Very well built  focuser and  camera rotator are nice and tight (no play) and really smooth.  I'm on holiday over the next two weeks so I'll get it mated up to a camera and see what it is like optically;  it sits well on my AZGti . Really pleased, it is a beautiful little scope and I've been hankering after this over the past year or so. 

Jim

BW Red Cat .jpg

• Like 3

On 29/09/2022 at 13:52, DaveS said:

But the biggest question is: Will it be delivered by Postman Pat?

I just spotted that, very good Dave, made me laugh. As far as I'm aware it was Kevin from DPD lol. I was in the shower when it arrived, maybe Jess was in the van :)  Hey William Optics are missing a promotional tag line here !

Jim 

• Like 2

On 09/10/2022 at 21:43, 900SL said:

I only just bought a Redcat! I wish I'd have known, it would be perfect camouflage in the Finnish landscape in winter. Matches the car too!

Scotland's last patch of snow known as the "Sphinx" in the Cairngorms was reported as having just melted a few days ago. This is the forth year in a row!  Apparently it's only ever melted 9 times in the past 300 years, so my White Cat may need to have a winter and summer camouflage just like the Ptarmigan on Cairngorm :)   Here it is all finally mounted up finder scope and cameras. Now come on weather, please play nicely :) 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-63184780

Jim 

Red Cat Setup.jpg

Red Cat Setup 2.jpg

Edited by saac

I'm not overly impressed with the sturdiness of the AZ GTi wedge.  The William Optics alternative looks a lot more substantial but a tad expensive - anybody know of other alternatives?  The RedCat was an early Christmas present so I don't think I can push it any further at the moment - restraint is the order of the day lol.  I think I'll look to replace it next year and maybe look to update the tripod as well but other than that I'm really please with the quality of this little telescope. 

Jim