Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hotech SCA laser collimator

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they make an adapter that centers both the drawtube and anything inserted into it?

What I mean is, I have a laser collimator and want to be sure it is central to the draw tube. So I insert an adapter that self-centeres in the draw tube, then insert my laser collimator, and then self-centres as well.

Yes, I know they do a SC collimator, but the above would be useful for other things too I suspect....

No, not that I am aware. A focuser with an SCA type mechanism, rather than a simple thumbscrew or compression-ring, would be excellent.

For imaging, used together with a SCA T-Ring the Hotech system is great! For visual, whilst the laser is precisely centred your eyepiece probably won't be. If that bothers you you could use your focuser's clamping action; you won't have the self-centering-action but you will have one of the very best lasers available.

Hotech lasers are selling well here at FLO with zero returns and all feedback has been positive. In particular their SCA system offers a high level of consistency and repeatability.

We have noticed though that collimation tools and techniques can polarize opinion and generate discussions similar to 'what is a true APO' where people dance on the head of a pin. All methods and systems have pros and cons, we are simply bringing to market those that we consider most valuable and noteworthy. With that in mind we will be announcing another premium range of collimators here on SGL soon .... :)

From what I know, mostly anything, clever design in both the laser and the centre mechanism means that once your SCT etc is collimated, you put this in, mark off the return point, and then Bobs yer uncle

If it works...it's going to save me lots of time

It works very well with a Newtonian. Granted it is technically possible for the secondary to be twisted in such a way that it returns the cross-hair without it being in collimation but this is rare and once it has been aligned it normally never needs readjustment.

Nick is right, when used with an SCT it doesn't collimate it but returns it to a known collimation. So, having collimated your SCT on a star (the best method) you pop the laser in then mark on its screen where the laser returns. Then, at any time, day or night, you can pop the laser back in and adjust the SCT's collimation screws until the laser hits the mark. Job done :D It is the accuracy of Hotech's laser (Hotech actually manufacture lasers, they don't use regular off-the-shelf laser-pointers the way most others do) and their SCA mechanism that makes this method possible.

As for other designs, if they are collimatable with a laser then the Hotech system will work.

HTH

• 1 year later...
No, but the Hotech laser is not one of the off-the-shelf 'pointer' lasers used by most competitors. Hotech are an opto-electronics company with over a decade of experience designing and manufacturing laser modules for various industries. The laser used in their collimator has been specifically designed with a narrow beam radius and is precisely centred during manufacture. It will not be necessary to re-collimate the laser collimater.

HTH

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but while unpacking and inspecting my SCA this morning I found two screws for collimating the laser. They're located under the angled part half way down the body, which unscrews to reveal two tiny grub screws. Just thought I'd better point this out, as thinking it didn't have these almost put me off buying.

It's a nice bit of kit. Expensive, but IMO if it does the job well, which it does, it's worth it.

... I found two screws for collimating the laser. They're located under the angled part half way down the body, which unscrews to reveal two tiny grub screws.

Anybody reading this, please 'do not' attempt to adjust your Hotech laser collimator.

We have had problems in the past where people have experienced focuser movement, flexure and the like and assumed it must be that their Hotech needs realignment. It is highly unlikely to be the Hotech and most owners do not have the facilities to align the laser to the same accuracy as Hotech.

Some dealers selling cheap suspect lasers will try to persuade you that realigning the laser is normal practice. It isn't!

If at any time you do feel your Hotech needs realigning, please contact us.

HTH,

Steve :)

Agreed, it should be bang-on from new and should never need doing. Just thought I'd point it out :)

Still liking it though, Steve. Great bit of kit that gives consistent alignment, as long as you use it as per Hotech's instructions. My only beef is that the laser is a bit bright. A brightness adjustment would finish it off nicely.

• 6 months later...
I just ordered a Hotech for $145.00. Read nothing but good reviews on it so hopefully they are all what they seem to be

The only one I've ever used and pleased with it. Comes in a nice box with a decent set of instructions.. although they don't mention refractors in there. Which is why I got mine. :D However, easy to use and certainly sorted out my focuser and lens cell alignment problems. I think you'll be happy with it.

• 1 year later...

Just purchased the Ho-tec laser collimator for my 12" SkyWatcher Skyliner Synscan, can't wait til arrives and I can get a true collimation of my scope as the 1 that came with it is completly useless as the diode shifts all over the place when you twist the collimator.

Cheers Roy

• 3 months later...

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys..

So here it goes.. This thing is amazingly accurate, The patented SCA(Self centreing adapter) enables a precise repeatable

collimation everytime... It removes the need for thumb screws to tighten the collimator to your focuser equating to a perfect

collimation everytime..

So to sum up:

PROS:(a) Perfect collimation everytime you use it.

(B) The patented SCA mechanisim make life so simple.

CONS: ZERO, There are none.

Cheers Roy,

Galway Astronomy Club, Ireland

www.galwayastronomyclub.ie

Archived