Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nagler - still rated ?

21 minutes ago, TheycallmeRiver said:

The only Nagler I've used so far is the 16mm, and I absolutely love it.

I bought the 3-6 zoom earlier this week but I haven't used it yet, and I'm hopefully picking up a used 31mm T5 tomorrow morning for £400.  Really excited.  Should complete my eyepiece collection. 

The 3-6 mm Nagler zoom is great for high power planetary viewing depending on your scope (it worked great on Mars in 2020 with my Esprit 150), at 4mm it was as good as, if not better than my Vixen 4mm SLV, and gave a wider field of view.

John 

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, johnturley said:

The 3-6 mm Nagler is great for high power planetary viewing depending on your scope (it worked great on Mars in 2020 with my Esprit 150), at 4mm it was as good as, if not better than my Vixen 4mm SLV, and gave a wider field of view.

John 

I'm mainly intending on using it with my WO FLT 132, I think it might be too much power for my other scopes.  Really can't wait to get going with it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/08/2022 at 04:54, Cjg said:

The 9mm is my second most used eyepiece, after the 24mm Panoptic .  It’s a few years old now, but the views are just superb. 

Same. My 9mm nagler is great for DSO targets. Just got a 19mm pan to compliment the wider views and the star hopping hunt. Great eyepieces. Nice and compact on medium to high mag end, good for balancing and for a travel setup if you have one. 

I use the N22T4 with my 16" dob and is a very comfortable eyepiece.

With my 12" dob, 4" and 2.4" refractors, I regularly use the Nagler T6 13mm, 9mm and 7mm. They are parfocal with the 24 Pan and they all fit in my pouch.

• Like 1

On 27/08/2022 at 19:19, johnturley said:

The 3-6 mm Nagler zoom is great for high power planetary viewing depending on your scope (it worked great on Mars in 2020 with my Esprit 150), at 4mm it was as good as, if not better than my Vixen 4mm SLV, and gave a wider field of view.

John 

The 3-6mm definitely is a planet killer when used with my TeleVue Ranger. :thumbsup:

I purchased mine a few months after their release, via Venturescope or Venturescopes...
[the TeleVue dealer that was run by Ninian Boyle].

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, rwilkey said:

I stick by my Naglers, tried 100º, but didn't like them, the T6's and the T5's are unequalled in my view:

DSC00716_small.jpg

What a lovely set 👍👍 think I will explore the 17 and 22mm again at some point.

• Like 3

It's good to see that so many still have a soft spot for these eyepieces and given the price of them now I'm pleased I bought them when I did a number of years ago.

I've thought of selling them every now and then but eyepiece technology doesn't move that quick so they are unlikely to go out of date or become obsolete.  I think the 82degree FOV is a real sweet spot too , having looked through ethos and couldn't really see the added value  the wider field would bring ... but that's just personal opinion.

I know there are some who think that dobs get over promoted , and I agree that everyone has their own reason for using a particular scope. For me though, I am purely visual  , enjoy deep sky , and the combination of a big mirror and a nice eyepiece is something I enjoy. I don't tend to have the time though these days but one thing I can be certain is that when I do get out with the scope this combination of mirror and eyepiece never seems to get old !

Cheers

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, graham56 said:

still got some naglers in my boxes type1 9mm, type1 7mm  , type 2 20mm, type 4 17mm, type 5 31mm and a 3-6mm zoom

all great eyepieces  the 9mm super sharp

The 7t1 is a little gem, super sharp and small.  I wish I’d kept mine, I now have a 7t6, a bit more eyerelief but I never had problems with the 7t1.  Only Nagler I didn’t get on with was the 4.8t1.   I could cope with the shorter eyerelief, but because my eye was so close to the glass, it was forever fogging up.  Apart from that, it was excellent.

• Like 2

I have all the current range (other than the 31mm) and a few discontinued models.  Until quite recently, the type 6s cost only a little more than the Delites, and having done a side by side comparison, I'd say the Naglers were clearly ahead. The 1.25" models are also quite compact.  BTW the Delites are excellent, I'm not knocking them.   However, if you need to wear glasses for viewing (typically because of moderate to severe astigmatism), then the shorter focal length Naglers won't be suitable. 

I also love the 2" Naglers, but they are significantly more pricey now.

Fortunately, if you want them, they still appear quite frequently on the second hand market.

• Like 2