NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

so, Artemis test flight AKA Should Launch Someday, 16-Nov-2022

DaveL59

On 18/11/2022 at 15:56, DaveL59 said:

was hoping others might chip in tbh. We're bound to be able to think up some more once it gets to the moon 😉 

What moon? You mean that hologram in the sky? :)  The one that comes up every night and glitches sometimes so that it comes up in the day?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dark Adaptation said:

What moon? You mean that hologram in the sky? :)  The one that comes up every night and glitches sometimes so that it comes up in the day?

we're all living on a huge stage set I tell you, all roads lead back to here. Truman show on a large scale 😉 

Just now, DaveL59 said:

we're all living on a huge stage set I tell you, all roads lead back to here. Truman show on a large scale 😉 

That's a good one for the flat-earthers! 😂😂

"All roads lead to Rome". They weren't wrong. Just walk for long enough, starting from Rome, and you'll get back to the same spot.

On 18/11/2022 at 11:14, DaveL59 said:

hehe yeah, I think a lot of the problem is no WDR, or at least it can't handle the very bright close surface so it's washing out. Lower shutter/exposure but enough to grab Terra in the background wouldn't be long enough to show any stars etc. Getting stars of course, longer exposure, total burn out of the ship in the image and likely flare across a big chunk of the pic too.

Smartphone cameras have built in HDR modes.  You'd think they'd have it in "space" cameras by now.  It's not rocket science (it's imaging science) to quickly take multiple images at multiple exposure levels and then use a bit of processing software to quickly combine them into an HDR image.

• Like 1

On 17/11/2022 at 11:17, DaveL59 said:

some IBM thing up in Scotland that we remotely accessed

I was on one of the last IBM mainframe CPU design teams in Poughkeepsie, NY, that worked in ECL logic in the late 80s/early 90s.  That was some fun stuff to design in compared to CMOS.  15-way OR dotting combined with 8-way AND blocks allowed for very shallow but very wide decoder/selector circuits.  Also, emitter-follower drive capabilities allowed for enormous fanout, negating the need for buffers.  Switching to CMOS was a shock as it required relearning gate-level circuit design.  You couldn't get nearly as much logic done in a single clock cycle, so you had to increase your logic's pipeline depth quite a bit leading to increased latency.  You also had to add a lot of buffering due to terrible on-chip CMOS gate drive capabilities, further increasing pipeline depth.  It took about a decade for IBM flagship CMOS mainframes to surpass their bipolar counterparts in sheer performance.  Of course, they also shrank from ~12 enclosures to 1, with a commensurate drop in power consumption and cooling needs.

• Like 3

On 17/11/2022 at 22:56, Dark Adaptation said:

Ooh, that's nice...does the Earth look a bit distorted to anyone else?

It’s not distorted! Everyone knows it is flat! 
The reason things seem round is because of the camera lense. 
If they made oblong camera lenses then all would appear correct and we could all throw away our coma correctors.

Marv

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Louis D said:

I was on one of the last IBM mainframe CPU design teams in Poughkeepsie, NY, that worked in ECL logic in the late 80s/early 90s.  That was some fun stuff to design in compared to CMOS.  15-way OR dotting combined with 8-way AND blocks allowed for very shallow but very wide decoder/selector circuits.  Also, emitter-follower drive capabilities allowed for enormous fanout, negating the need for buffers.  Switching to CMOS was a shock as it required relearning gate-level circuit design.  You couldn't get nearly as much logic done in a single clock cycle, so you had to increase your logic's pipeline depth quite a bit leading to increased latency.  You also had to add a lot of buffering due to terrible on-chip CMOS gate drive capabilities, further increasing pipeline depth.  It took about a decade for IBM flagship CMOS mainframes to surpass their bipolar counterparts in sheer performance.  Of course, they also shrank from ~12 enclosures to 1, with a commensurate drop in power consumption and cooling needs.

Incredible.  I recognise and understand every individual word but have no idea what you are talking about lol.

Waaaaay too advanced for my crease-less brain.

• Like 1

On 18/11/2022 at 21:48, Dark Adaptation said:

Not a bad idea. Got any other Artemis conspiracy theories

Artemis never happened. They obviously recycled the Apollo footage, which was also fake by the way 🤣

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Louis D said:

Wow. Now *that* is a job I would have loved. Very jealous. I've worked in IT all of my life but have always felt that I missed some of the most interesting eras of computing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

Smartphone cameras have built in HDR modes.  You'd think they'd have it in "space" cameras by now.  It's not rocket science (it's imaging science) to quickly take multiple images at multiple exposure levels and then use a bit of processing software to quickly combine them into an HDR image.

I expect tho that part of the problem in a scene as that one is that the close extra bright body of the ship is too extreme in the range for them to handle so be able to also pick out the marble. Same for the stars as the marble is too bright. Anything's possible tho but depends how much they could spend on the sensor and processor tech and fit the image into a small data stream. Not too bad an image tho given its limitations, hopefully they'll get better as the mission progresses.

On 20/11/2022 at 08:40, Ags said:

Artemis never happened. They obviously recycled the Apollo footage, which was also fake by the way 🤣

Of course. That was why they spent so much effort remastering the Apollo pics ... they knew that 21st century conspiracy theorists would expect much more detail than their 1960s forebears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Ags said:

They didn't do a very good job - the rockets don't even look the same!

The old ones sure looked more polished didn't they?

These new ones look like they're covered in rust, screams of kwaliti innit 😉 

6 minutes ago, Dark Adaptation said:

What's that grey thing beside the capsule? :) 

Looks like one of my old mouse mats from 20 years back. That was grey and fabric covered, looked just like that after lots of use as it started to wear. Someone must've been dumpster diving and saved it just for a staged pic 😉 

Edited by DaveL59