Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter & Mars 12-08-2022

U Cyg

Some of the best seeing I have ever had for Jupiter, marred a bit by (I think) high thin cloud that affected the histogram, and gave a few fuzzy frames. Anyway, I am really pleased with the outcome.  Minimal processing in Registax 6.

Jupiter 12-08-2022-0332ut

Jup_12082022-0332ut.png?raw=1

After Jupiter I decided to take my first look of the season at Mars. The seeing was terrible, Mars was bouncing around all over the chip and looked like a fuzzy ball most of the time with clear seconds every now and then. 

Very disappointing after Jupiter. I made one capture and was quite surprised at what Registax managed to make of it.

Mars 12-08-2022-0435ut. Over-processed, I know!

Mars-12082022-0435ut.png?raw=1

8SE ota, Basic EQ5 mount, ADC, 2x barlow, ASI224

Angie

• Like 12

Both quality captures. You pulled as much detail out on Mars as what I did. when my seeing was quite reasonable. And that was your 8 " reflector if I am not mistaken ?  The Jupiter capture speaks for itself. Lots of fine detail. And very nice processing Angie. Good to see you posting some quality planetary images. 

Thank you Neil.

The scope is the Nexstar 8SE SCT, on the EQ5 mount.  I knew when I typed in  the equipment list that it didn't look right, but couldn't think why!

I also forgot to mention that the Mars image was resized to 120% in Registax.

Angie

They are both very impressive images Angie. As Laurence said the Jupiter shot as a certain depth to it and Mars well the only way I could describe trying to capture it was like looking at a bouncing atom under a microscope. Very well done indeed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, U Cyg said:

Thank you Neil.

The scope is the Nexstar 8SE SCT, on the EQ5 mount.  I knew when I typed in  the equipment list that it didn't look right, but couldn't think why!

I also forgot to mention that the Mars image was resized to 120% in Registax.

Angie

Apologies my memory isn't what it used to be. For a 8" scope the detail is right to the limit of its performance under UK skies. You cant really ask for more. 

• Like 1

Many thanks for the comments: Martyn, Neil, Chris & Dragon_Astro.

Dragon_Astro: 

My answer to your question is 'with great difficulty these days'!
Actually the way I do it now is using the out of focus donut.  I first centre Jupiter in the finder scope, and confirm that it is centred in a 25mm eyepiece. I then add a 2x barlow and centre the donut again. This way when I put the camera in  place Jupiter is pretty well focused already.
Obviously it fails sometimes, usually when I can't get on my feet fast enough to get the camera in the focuser. LOL

I don't know how this method came about because I always used to focus on Jupiter in the eyepiece/barlow to get the donut on screen.  Anyway it works for me at the moment so I am sticking with it!

Angie