Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Black holes...

I recently read a short account of a theory regarding black holes, which seemed plausible to me as an Engineer :)

If I recall correctly, the theory proposed that black holes don't actually collapse to a singularity. Instead, the internal collapse inside the event horizon is subject to increasing time dilation due to the increase in gravity which results in an apparent stasis to us as external observers, or something like that. Kind of like a supernova collapse but in ever increasing slow motion

To the Physicists here, have I understood the basics here and is this a plausible conjecture?

You have to separate two things:

- singularity

- event horizon and us as external observers

Singularity is mathematical concept that arises when you project some lines in curved space time and is beyond event horizon. For all intents and purposes - it does not exists, it is just artifact of our math.

With collapse itself - it will happen very quickly for star itself, but we will see it slowly fading out of view as time dilates and light shifts towards lower frequencies due to gravitational red shift.

• Like 1

As far as we know - there is no process that would lead to something like that, and even if there were - we simply could not see anything now, or in eternity as no light comes from beyond event horizon.

Only thing that we so far know can happen is black hole evaporation.

12 hours ago, Ratlet said:

The singularity in a black hole is basically called that because physicists don't like writing TBC on a model.  It tends to be bad for grants 😂

No, I think it's a bit more settled than that.  To be honest, I don't think there's much academic interest in the singularity as such.  

In that not many people are asking "what's the point?"  - which could be taken as a joke.  

• Haha 4

• 4 weeks later...

I would suggest that the "singularity" idea is more to keep the maths simple or sensible.

Years ago in what was likely my final exam in my degree I answered a semiconductor problem. I had learnt to maths translation parrot fashion, basically how to get from Eq1 to Eq2 looked like some sort of fiddle.

When actually sitting the exam I realised that the fundimental equation which consisted of 2 parts, that the second part was much smaller the the first, say 1/10,000 the concentration. In effect it was fairly insignificant. In effect (1 + 1/10000) is so close to 1 that you can forget the second part (=0).

I strong suspect that the idea of the black hole size = 0 is something along these lines. It simplifies everything if size = 0 is used in whatever calculations are used.

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, 900SL said:

Does dark matter form dark holes? 

Oh good question.  I guess you would need to have a mechanism for the dark matter to collapse and I'm thinking here that the only known mechanism for this is a star collapsing. So, would we need a star made from dark matter!  Now dark matter does not interact with ordinary matter or the em spectrum. Could such a star exist, what would it emit.  What would the fusion process be like, what would be fusing? Is dark matter like anti matter in that there exists dark protons, neutrons, electrons !  I have no idea what current thinking is on that, and of course dark matter itself is still speculative. 

Jim 

Edited by saac
  • Like 1

I found a great article which considered this in depth.. the summary being that because dark matter doesn't interact apart from on a gravitational basis, it doesn't tend to collapse down like normal matter does. Instead it remains dispersed in a halo and  its angular velocity is pretty much preserved. 

So no dark matter stars or holes..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I found a great article which considered this in depth.. the summary being that because dark matter doesn't interact apart from on a gravitational basis, it doesn't tend to collapse down like normal matter does. Instead it remains dispersed in a halo and  its angular velocity is pretty much preserved. 

Yes, it would seem unlikely, fantastically exotic matter. As exotic as the degenerate matter inside a black hole whatever that may be. 

Jim 

3 hours ago, 900SL said:

However, any dark matter particles that are on a trajectory that passes through the cross section of the Black Hole will be absorbed into it, so the mass of the BH will increase over time, should there be a steady stream of DM impacting on it. 

There is a suggestion that although DM particles don't interact with Standard Model matter, they may interact with each other - and this modifies the distribution of DM particles around galaxies (the observed distribution doesn't seem to follow what would be expected if there was NO self interaction, so it proposed that there is SOME interaction, albeit not one one that is understood).

Now throw in a hypothetical quintessence particle (dark energy quantum field 'particle' which could be considered having long range anti-gravity properties)  or even a rare magnetic-monopole ( supposed to exist but hidden by inflation) so that the hole has a net magnetic charge

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 900SL said:

I do enjoy that series,.although it does confirm that I am an idiot

it’s great value- I find i can watch them over and over again and it’s like a new episode each time :) I have a vain hope that something will rub off along the way 🤞

• Haha 2

Best black hole video - the rotating Kerr black hole , extended ring singularity, repulsive gravity, 2 event horizons, escape through future white hole, super luminal speed , time travel to the past and multiverse (providing you don't get cooked by the inner horizon)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/10/2022 at 23:57, 900SL said:

Does dark matter form dark holes? 

I should keep my mouth shut because I'm not a physicist but I suspect dark matter is a math error, not real. This video popped up in my feed the other day which I find interesting. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...