Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In a haze of Hydrogen, M57 Ultra Deep field

peter shah

In a haze of Hydrogen, M57 Ultra deep field showing it's layers of extended shell and background. Imaged remotely from Spain with the 12inch ASA Newtonian and ASI2600MM pro. Exposure times were 2hrs in RGB all 60s subs, 6hrs of OIII, 180s subs, and 23and a half hrs of H-alpha all 180s subs.

Its worth zooming in to see the layers in the shell, I was quite surprised at the colour pallet that the OIII and Ha gave. Trying to pull out core detail in this is generally difficult on M57 due to its apparent size  even more so on such wide field so rather than just do the ring itself I set out to see if there was any background H-alpha....

Thanks for looking
Peter Shah

M57 Face book.jpg

• Like 22

23 minutes ago, glafnazur said:

Another great image Peter, and you're right about zooming in 👍

Thank you....I was nicely surprised with the colour that came out when I processed the O3 and Ha mix...wasnt expecting that

30 minutes ago, Chris said:

Well done Peter, I've never seen a Ring nebula image like this one before. 

Thank you....amazing how things have moved on here is a comparison from my very first CCD image taken with a borrowed Meade LX 2180 from the Birmingham Astronomical Society and my very first CCD camera  MX5 from nearly 30years ago...

M57 with extended Ha Comparison.jpg

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Craig a said:

Absolutely superb Peter deep is an understatement 

Thank you Craig

18 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I rather think you've put the Ring nebula to bed with this one, Peter!  It has everything.

Olly

I will still probably go back to it with a different scope next year... To be honest its been many years since I imaged M57, avoiding it as I never really saw it as a wide field object.... What actually was most surprising to me was the colour tones in the shell as I processed the Ha and OIII. It showed the delicate yellows with a slight hint of blue.

• Like 1