NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter Saturn 11th July

neil phillips

Quick process. Seeing not as good as yesterday, a bit more  fluctuating. Some cloud kept killing my trans too. But improved later on Jupiter. Overall still pretty good seeing over recent times

Orion 245mm Newtonian QHY 462C UV IR CUT FILTER ZWO ADC Baader Q barlow SW EQ5 PRO both RGBs 

july 11th sg.png

july 11th.png 88.png r.png 2.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 17

9 minutes ago, si@nite said:

Another couple of good captures Neil, love the Jupiter lots of detail showing also very nicely processed!

Weather map showed cloud killing my location. But it was just trouble early on with Saturn. Was surprised to have had a astro session tbh. Good seeing wont hang around forever thats for sure. Low pressure will be pushing in soon. 

Cheers Simon. 

3 hours ago, Kon said:

Beautiful images. I love the defined coloured bands on Saturn. It's good you are making the best of the seeing. My body needed a break.

I know how you feel its been a bit of a ride the last few days. still going through the data. I need a break too I think. With perfect seeing I reckon I can still do better. But not awful for straight RGBs Thanks for the comments Kon

Edited by neil phillips

Your Saturn image is exceptional Neil. The orion 245mm as pulled out that little bit more resolution for you as you new it would. The cassini is clean and clearly visible at the front. The banding is very well defined and the colour is spot on too. Jupiter is looking very good aswell. Well done mate Top draw stuff.

2 hours ago, morimarty said:

Your Saturn image is exceptional Neil. The orion 245mm as pulled out that little bit more resolution for you as you new it would. The cassini is clean and clearly visible at the front. The banding is very well defined and the colour is spot on too. Jupiter is looking very good aswell. Well done mate Top draw stuff.

Cheers Martyn. I now know all the problems i had recently were seeing related. ( i started to wonder ) it gets you like that sometimes. Especially as my Jupiter images seemed to be coming out at a higher level than my Saturn. Again Jupiter is less dependent overall on seeing than a more faint delicate Saturn is. Jupiter easier to focus i find. And later was climbing higher. So its all starting to make sense. I also think under the right conditions i could pull out a better RGB Saturn  But conditions would have to be perfect. Seeing. transparency no cloud or wind. Problem is those conditions dont come along a lot here. Had one night with the CC out as you know. wished I had chose the Orion. The other problem I have is before Saturn reaches full height it hits the opposing house roof. And there is no where I can get around that unfortunately . So not only is its height not quite full elevation. But my time spent on it is cut very short, seriously hampering my ability to get some quality runs.

In a nutshell I dont get long. Before its lost. Still I will attempt to get a better run from this year. I may not But its called lucky imaging for a reason ( as Simon said recently ) I actually feel quite relieved I started to think a factory had opened in Lowestoft town or something ? Or the scope was acting odd. Its been a learning experience. But its all down to seeing. ( I shouldn't doubt myself or my scope)I I am doing nothing different and my scope is tuned as always. Its just nice to have that confirmed to me sure you understand what I mean. Luckily i have a feeling Jupiter is going to fair good this year. Its really going in the right direction already. ( And it clears the roof that Saturn does not )  I still have a few runs from the 11th to go through some looking quite good actually. Working on some tonight. Its hard to keep up with it. just ordered a 15 terabyte hdd for storage. Should last a couple of days lol. £350 for storage damn. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, callisto said:

Ditto on the 245mm Neil... your pulling out some detail with it :thumbsup:

Mark.

As per the discussion, seeing is everything. Once the art of planetary imaging is learned. Appreciate the comments Mark much appreciated 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Superb again Neil, got too make the most of these conditions 🙂 

Glad you said that. it takes it out of me. But over the years when I look back at any images I was glad I snatched. Its nearly always been the same knock yourself out mini good seeing run that happens every blue moon In the UK.. Buts its been fun especially Jupiter as i sit here and play with them

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1