Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS-Optics AZT6. Very nearly brilliant

I got this mount as I wanted to fit scope (Tak 76), mount, tripod (Gitzo traveller) and accessories all into carry on luggage. My Manfrotto video fluid head is just slightly too big and an awkward shape. The TS-Optics is very small, less than £100 and made fitting everything in easy with room for T-shirts and other essentials :)

It's very portable and takes the 76DC easily. Not too much vibration. It moves in altitude very easily and smoothly and the alt tension knob works very well.

The problem for me is the azimuth motion. It's not smooth but a bit jerky and hard to control when viewing under higher powers. There just seems to be too much friction, even with the azi tension knob slackened right off.

It does what I need it to and is small enough to allow all my kit to fit into a flight carry on bag but the rough azimuth movement lets down what would otherwise be a perfect mount.

Malcolm 

IMG_20220708_214036598.thumb.jpg.65da8b112b2556400a1f916ae2783c78.jpg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

There just seems to be too much friction, even with the azi tension knob slackened right off.

Might be balancing issue.

Altitude is well balanced since scope itself balances it, but azimuth is not. Adding counterweight shaft and CW could do the trick - but would probably defeat portability side of things.

This mount is on my "want" list.

• Thanks 1

I have this mount, though mainly using as a stand at present. It works better with the counterweight bar and moves very smoothly.

If you use a bar make sure the thread does not interfere with the locking/release of the azimuth.

• Thanks 1

I have this mount and it is my main visual mount. It is outside now with a C6 and a (mandatory, in my opinion) counterweight bar.  It doesn't have to be anything expensive, a long M12 bolt with a nut to lock it (you can't screw it all the way in or it will lock the Alt axis). I use the cheap Explore Scientific dob counterweights. They're yellow, but they're cheap.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Gitzo traveller

How do you find the Gitzo traveller - and is it Version 1 or 2?

Seems like it aholds the 76DC pretty well, how about at higher powers? I have a Gitzo 5 and it's incredible, so strongly considering the traveller as an airline friendly option. 

• Like 1

Thanks @vlaiv @StevieDvd @Ags

Sounds like the lack of counterweight is my problem. When I get back I'll look into fixing something up. I had originally wanted the Starwave mini az (which comes with the counterweight bar) but couldn't find it in stock. Having said that, the bar and counterweight would have probably blown the weight limit. I was right on the limit!

Malcolm 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, badhex said:

How do you find the Gitzo traveller - and is it Version 1 or 2?

Seems like it aholds the 76DC pretty well, how about at higher powers? I have a Gitzo 5 and it's incredible, so strongly considering the traveller as an airline friendly option. 

I have the Gitzo GT0545T Series 0 Traveler. It's brilliant. Very compact when folded down. Extends to a good height. Very stable for its size and weight. Takes the 76 no problem. I usually use a Manfrotto fluid head with the gitzo and 76 and high powers are no problem though I would try not raising the center column and if possible not extending the legs fully.

I'm envious of your Gitzo 5. I have the Innorel equivalent and while I like it, I feel the Gitzo would be much more stable.

Malcolm 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

I have the Gitzo GT0545T Series 0 Traveler. It's brilliant. Very compact when folded down. Extends to a good height. Very stable for its size and weight. Takes the 76 no problem. I usually use a Manfrotto fluid head with the gitzo and 76 and high powers are no problem though I would try not raising the center column and if possible not extending the legs fully.

I'm envious of your Gitzo 5. I have the Innorel equivalent and while I like it, I feel the Gitzo would be much more stable.

Malcolm 

Thanks, good to know. I think the Series 2 which I'm looking at is a bit bigger that the Series 0, but not a drastic difference in payload (12kg vs 10kg). I already have a small CF tripod for travelling which I use with an AZ-GTi and ZS73. It's okay, but owning the Gitzo 5 has kinda spoilt it for me. 

The Gitzo 5 has been worth absolutely every penny, but obviously too big for travelling really. 

Edited by badhex

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Thanks, good to know. I think the Series 2 which I'm looking at is a bit bigger that the Series 0, but not a drastic difference in payload (12kg vs 10kg). I already have a small CF tripod for travelling which I use with an AZ-GTi and ZS73. It's okay, but owning the Gitzo 5 has kinda spoilt it for me. 

The Gitzo 5 has been worth absolutely every penny, but obviously too big for travelling really. 

You're making me think I need to get a Series 5 Gitzo! Every time you think you have all you need or want something else appears :)

Malcolm 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

You're making me think I need to get a Series 5 Gitzo! Every time you think you have all you need or want something else appears :)

Malcolm 

Haha sorry! It's true, there is always something else on the list 🙂

• Haha 1

I’ve used the same mount with my Tak FS 76DCU and a photo  tripod as a travel scope. I found it worked pretty well. As others have said, a c/weight will help, but adds more bulk and weight. I’m toying with the idea of using my ScopeTech Zero instead as it’s probably not much heavier/ bulkier. And it has SLO mo’s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I’ve used the same mount with my Tak FS 76DCU and a photo  tripod as a travel scope. I found it worked pretty well. As others have said, a c/weight will help, but adds more bulk and weight. I’m toying with the idea of using my ScopeTech Zero instead as it’s probably not much heavier/ bulkier. And it has SLO mo’s.

Yet another potential purchase, almost sorry I started this thread :) they do look very nice and seem to get very good reviews!

Malcolm 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Actually, I tried out my scopetech on my existing CF travel tripod ahead of my holiday later this year, and it didn't work out. I suspect because it's ~half a kilo more than the AZ-GTi and necessarily means a lot more touching the mount and therefore vibrations. That's what made me start down the Gitzo Traveller line of thinking! 

• Like 2

I have one of these I use with small scopes as a portable mount with a light tripod. My main struggle is vibes from the tripod I use which is super light, I've had no issues with the AZ T6.  I have a counterweight bar but in practice I never use it as it adds weight, size, and hassle and I'd rather travel lighter.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I have the Altair version with the counterweight, for use with my skymax 90. It now lives abroad, with the scope and first horizon tripod to save from transporting it each time. The scope, mount and eyepieces easily fit into a rucksack for hand luggage, but with little room for anything else, still well under the weight limit though. I did try it without the CW but it is much better with it, even though the skymax is a tiddler of a scope.

This setup is so convenient that I am slowly replicating it for UK use.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Just to be fair, I have now used this with a counterweight and as others have said, the counterweight makes a big difference. It is now very smooth in azimuth.

The marketing suggests it can take 4kg without Counterweights and whereas this may be possible, I have found even a 2.5kg scope really needs a Counterweight in order to make the azimuth smooth. 

But with the counterweight, it is an excellent mount, albeit more bits and weight to fit into carryon luggage.

Malcolm 

• Like 4

I have an AZT6 which I use with an 70mm ED F/6 refractor which weighs 2.2kg. The mount seems to work well with that scope without a counterweight. Alt-az mounts can be very sensitive though and sometimes a relatively small increase in the length / weight of an OTA or it's balance can upset the smooth motions. The 70mm F/6 is the only scope I use with the AZT6. With the tripod the whole setup weighs just under 5kg which is really very portable.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, John said:

I have an AZT6 which I use with an 70mm ED F/6 refractor which weighs 2.2kg. The mount seems to work well with that scope without a counterweight. Alt-az mounts can be very sensitive though and sometimes a relatively small increase in the length / weight of an OTA or it's balance can upset the smooth motions. The 70mm F/6 is the only scope I use with the AZT6. With the tripod the whole setup weighs just under 5kg which is really very portable.

I must try the mount with a 60CB without a counterweight and see if that runs smooth. OTA plus prism plus cradle plus eyepiece would be approximately 1.9kg

Malcolm 

• Like 3

I've had a limited play with the AZT6 and a tiny Evoguide 50ED which I converted for visual use, and it's pretty good for that use case. It also works pretty well with my ZS73, although the Scopetech Zero is a much better and not much heavier choice there. I think the AZT6 is heavier than the 50ED though! 

• Like 2