SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How does one go about creating a star party?

I don’t think there’s a set of rules, so much depends on circumstances.

A few points to consider-

Safety must be a priority. Ideally a place as free from light pollution as possible, secure beyond a locked gate with land owners permission.  A bunch of like minded people aware of using as few lights as possible. Someone to organise and make the arrangements and give a go/no go according to forecasts.

The above and lots more.  It’s actually quite tough to find somewhere ideal.

All the best in your endeavours.

• Like 2

You have to find a venue that will allow it and have enough pitches, you can say to people that everything on site is at their own risk thus not paying for liability insurance. (In case of accidents or damage) 

Then advertise it here on SGL making sure that either you are booking for them or getting them to book straight through the venue.

Have a great time and pray pray pray for clear skies.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Taraobservatory said:

Hello, 

Thanks for the information :) Need to look into this. Is it normal for people to travel to other countries for this ? 

Clear skies 

A local clubmate of mine once traveled from the UK to the Texas Star Party……and he was fortunate enough to get clear skies👍

• Like 1

I think you need to consider things like Electric Hookup as many people are imagers nowadays. Also amentities like toilets/showers if it will be a multi day event. It will be useful to liase with the owners of any campsite about whether they will turn off any lights.  Whether you allows pets/children may also be an issue.  It may also depend on the country. Here in the UK the astronomy population is aging so most have caravans/camper vans, very few now camp. Often best to work with an established site rather than trying a local farmers field.  People do travel to star parties abroad if they think they will get good skies. I myself have been to TSP a number of times as well as the WSP in the US. Unfortunately I doubt that Norway will have the requsite good skies 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, icpn said:

I think you need to consider things like Electric Hookup as many people are imagers nowadays. Also amentities like toilets/showers if it will be a multi day event. It will be useful to liase with the owners of any campsite about whether they will turn off any lights.  Whether you allows pets/children may also be an issue.  It may also depend on the country. Here in the UK the astronomy population is aging so most have caravans/camper vans, very few now camp. Often best to work with an established site rather than trying a local farmers field.  People do travel to star parties abroad if they think they will get good skies. I myself have been to TSP a number of times as well as the WSP in the US. Unfortunately I doubt that Norway will have the requsite good skies 🙂

I'm 57 and still camp my good friend is 70 and he still camps the last one I arranged was just before covid I think I am right to say the 4 that turned up all camped and were all over 50.

There are plenty out there that camp it would be nice have a camper van but I am not that rich😀

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I'm 57 and still camp my good friend is 70 and he still camps the last one I arranged was just before covid I think I am right to say the 4 that turned up all camped and were all over 50.

There are plenty out there that camp it would be nice have a camper van but I am not that rich😀

The Peaks camp was the first time camping for years.  Another pastime astronomy rekindled... Now I'm quite the regular despite my aging out of shape bod and creaking bones. There's nowt quite like the smell of slightly damp burnt sausages in the mornings! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's difficult to make suggestions as it can depend on what you are classing as a star party.  This could be half a dozen  friends  meeting up for a few days or a public event such as the SGL events, Both will have differing requirements.  A public event will need some third party public liability insurance.  It's not just cover should someone trip over a tripod and end up in A&E, it also covers damage to the equipment and any thefts etc.  Also the venue for a public event should have access to toilets and have suitable car parking, ideally away from the area people are viewing from.    

Naturally if you want to hold an event for one night only then three is little need to worry about where people will sleep.  If its an event spread over three days or more then location may dictate what facilities are offered.  A commercial camp site will have pitches with hook ups for power, water and even toilets so those with camper vans can just hook up and have all the home from home conveniences.   Also there is options for catering, such as inviting burger vans or pig roasts, and if so the cost will need to be covered by those attending...

Maybe PM one of the SGL moderators who organise the SGL parties.  They should be able to provide you with answers to most of your questions. 

• Like 1