Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturn 25th May

59 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Nice!

They have to climb a little higher to clear some trees I'm fond of. 

I'm anxiously waiting now that I have a proper mount.

Hi yes its very early days. I too was waiting for it to clear the roofs. What scope will you be using ? How high does it get in Florida this year.

Its a ice breaker for me, Jupiter soon too. In fact ive already caught a few frames. Blurry though.

5 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Hi yes its very early days. I too was waiting for it to clear the roofs. What scope will you be using ? How high does it get in Florida this year.

Its a ice breaker for me, Jupiter soon too. In fact ive already caught a few frames. Blurry though.

Right now it is not more than 35° or maybe 40° above the horizon by sunrise. I have some 25' trees that block them from the observatory. 

Last season when they are close to the zenith they are close to 50°+ but there are no trees to obstruct my view.

I'll be using my 8" F4.9 reflector on an eq6r.

I haven't been able to image Saturn since 2014, as my old house was to the South of my observatory, blocking everything below 25 degrees above the horizon. For a long time, Saturn has been very low in the UK sky. I moved house last year and I'm busy building my new observatory now. Even before it's complete, I hope to have the mounts fitted to the piers, so I can at least do some imaging again. My new Southern horizon is about 9 degrees altitude, so I can't wait for Jupiter and Saturn to present themselves at a sensible time of the night ( I can stay up all night, but I'm not a morning person! ).

41 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

Right now it is not more than 35° or maybe 40° above the horizon by sunrise. I have some 25' trees that block them from the observatory. 

Last season when they are close to the zenith they are close to 50°+ but there are no trees to obstruct my view.

I'll be using my 8" F4.9 reflector on an eq6r.

You should do well, this was effectively a 7.3" scope at 15 degrees elevation. 

24 minutes ago, ArmyAirForce said:

I haven't been able to image Saturn since 2014, as my old house was to the South of my observatory, blocking everything below 25 degrees above the horizon. For a long time, Saturn has been very low in the UK sky. I moved house last year and I'm busy building my new observatory now. Even before it's complete, I hope to have the mounts fitted to the piers, so I can at least do some imaging again. My new Southern horizon is about 9 degrees altitude, so I can't wait for Jupiter and Saturn to present themselves at a sensible time of the night ( I can stay up all night, but I'm not a morning person! ).

As time moves on and Saturn presents a lot earlier, it will also get higher. So certainly better for a imaging run to wait.

56 minutes ago, morimarty said:

Well done Neil on your first saturn of the season. The stella lyra is looking very promising for such a early capture.

Cheers Martyn yes its really in the 7" Mak ballpark. So will be limited in resolution. Saturn is a tough target for smaller optics. But i dont mind that, as i can switch here and there to the 245 Newt. I suspect The CC will fair better on Jupiter. Its all just a way of having a slightly easier life moving scopes around and setting up. A main easier workhorse. But of course as you say its early days. When Saturn reaches 22 degrees in darkness. Its certainly going to perform better than here. 

On 31/05/2022 at 20:12, si@nite said:

A nice early shot Neil, promising result with the new scope!

Cheers Simon. Still learning about it. I have more of a handle on its performance lunar wise. But planets is more of a unknown yet. 

• 1 month later...