SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Camera control software.

Needless to say, I'm confused.

My new Canon T7 doesn't work with my Canon EOS program.

I see a lot of programs that don't use dslr's and some that do.

What do you pro's suggest for someone just sticking their toe in the water?

I really value your experience!

If you are using a Windows laptop, I’ve had great success using the demo version of APT, Astro Photography Tool. At its simplest, you program number of exposures, duration, ISO for basic camera control of your particular DSLR or dedicated camera plus a host of other operations as you get into it. 
https://astrophotography.app/index.php

From using a Nikon I like DigiCamControl 2, which also caters for the non-Nikonistas of this world by supporting Canon too. Had a lot of success with it before going ZWO and NINA. I believe NINA supports DSLR's too, so if your camera works with NINA my vote would go for that.

I use APT with my old Canon 400D - It supports the old serial shutter release, something which NINA does not, and when I asked on their Discord server why is the function is there but not implemented I was told to replace my camera with something that is not obsolete and uses USB like all the rest...  Go figure why I don't recommend their software !!

You will probably have to download a specific version of EOS utils to work, if the camera has Wi Fi you should be able to use "Canon camera connect" too which will allow you to control the camera via a mobile phone etc.

Alan

Nina works with the canon 600d, but the displayed images are in black and white for me.  Saves them in colour though.

It's odd the canon Eos utility doesn't work for you.  I've used my t3i with the latest version and it works fine.

This is the version I used:

https://asia.canon/en/support/0200616402

You can also use astrotoaster for some livestacking.  There is an Australian lad who had some very impressive videos with his canon and astrotoaster for eaa

11 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Nina works with the canon 600d, but the displayed images are in black and white for me.  Saves them in colour though.

The option "Debayer Image" has to be turned on in the Imaging tab in the settings or the image will be black and white because that's what a raw colour camera image is - black and white with the bayer matrix on top.

5 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

I use NINA now with my CCD but APT is better for DSLR's and beginners. I still can't fathom NINAs advanced sequencer.

Start a separate thread if needed but what are you struggling with, happy to help if I can? Do you realise you can "export" anything from the basic sequencer into the advanced sequencer if you wish anyway?