NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Who cares about Starlink when....

The Admiral

Please, no daft comments about planes, lasers etc etc

I would agree that there did seem to be a lot of vapour trails around this morning. I counted around 12 when I left at 5am, all heading in the same direction.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

Please, no daft comments about planes, lasers etc etc

I would agree that there did seem to be a lot of vapour trails around this morning. I counted around 12 when I left at 5am, all heading in the same direction.

sorry Stu 😶

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I saw something similar this morning in Nottinghamshire. At least it doesn't happen every day/night.
The planes are there every day. It has to be the right (or wrong) weather to leave significant contrails.

• Like 2

Hmm, seems that I was not alone then.

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

The planes are there every day. It has to be the right (or wrong) weather to leave significant contrails.

True, perhaps it's just one of those days. But when they do, their decaying residues just add to the murk we are trying to image through. Mind you, the weather itself is quite enough to contend with :unsure:.

Ian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Can we persuade another Icelandic volcano to go Bang! and shut our airspace for a while?

You may get your wish! from : https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/nature_and_travel/2022/05/16/uncertainty_level_announced_yesterday_due_to_earthq/

Strongest earthquake 4.3 M yesterday
Yesterday a series of earthquakes started around Eldvörp around 11:30 AM and at 14:17 PM  an earthquake at 4.2 M was felt on the Reykjanes peninsula and in Reykjavik, and at 17:38 PM another one that was 4.3 M, which was the strongest one yesterday. Altogether, there were four earthquakes above 3M yesterday, and thereof two above 4 M. The seismicity is located at a depth between 4 and 6 km. The aviation colour code has been elevated from green to yellow due to the increased seismic activity.

Halldór Geirsson, who is a geophysicist, says that land has risen around Svartsengi in the beginning of May but a lot ofseismic activity has been in the area most of the month.

and 

Geirsson says there are a few possible outcomes due to the seismic activity. "Some people think we are going into a period that could last for the next 2-300 years where there will be a lot of volcanic eruptions."

• Like 1