Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Esprit 80 alternative

I recently looked into the TS Quadruplet telescopes, and those look really nice.  I would have been really tempted to get me one of those. 

A TS 81 mm flatfield apo costs less than the Esprit 80 and you have no need to buy an extra flattener. 

I got an Esprit 80 towards the end of 2020 and it's superb. Surely if you get a 'checked and tuned' version from a 'reliable supplier' 🙂 you can't go wrong?

32 minutes ago, Padraic M said:

I got an Esprit 80 towards the end of 2020 and it's superb. Surely if you get a 'checked and tuned' version from a 'reliable supplier' 🙂 you can't go wrong?

Well I'd like to think that, but seen quite a few reviews on quality issues with newer ones, even a couple on the flo website. Ideally I'd buy from Flo because I can cycle there. Got most of my new kit from them. 

6 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

The only thing else comparible price wise would be a WO GT81. In stock at FLO as well.

Yeah, been looking at that. My credit card is starting to cry in the corner of the room. Been watching reviews on YouTube all afternoon

You do need a flattener with the WO GT81 - however with the flattener (either the 0.8x one from William Optics, or I also use a 1x Hotech flattener) it is pretty much a flat field for an APS-C sized sensor, and I've had some great images from it. 

9 minutes ago, iantaylor2uk said:

You do need a flattener with the WO GT81 - however with the flattener (either the 0.8x one from William Optics, or I also use a 1x Hotech flattener) it is pretty much a flat field for an APS-C sized sensor, and I've had some great images from it. 

I've got a good FF/R on my ed80 that'll transfer over. Not totally ideal but id be using my 294mc on it but would like to get a 533

19 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Yeah, been looking at that. My credit card is starting to cry in the corner of the room. Been watching reviews on YouTube all afternoon

I had the GT71 as a first refractor. Lovely scopes. The WO reducer will be best suited to it. If on CC then just order the lot and cry about it later! 

1 hour ago, Crackabarrel said:

William Optics ZS73 is around the same price and spec, will require a flattener though.

Been using mine for over 2 years now and can't really complain, fit and finish are good, colour correction is nice.

That's a doublet, already have one of those and looking to upgrade to a triplet for better colour correction

16 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

That's a doublet, already have one of those and looking to upgrade to a triplet for better colour correction

Ah my apologies, maybe check out some of the TS Optics Photoline scopes so.

3 hours ago, KP82 said:

That seems too cheap. Even the 115mm is cheaper than the 80mm WO ota. I'll have to check out some reviews on that one. Could be a winner. 

Is this the same as the TS optics triplet? 

Edited by Anthonyexmouth

18 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

What about the TS 80mm Triplet. Need to add VAT to the price but still a good options:

Teleskop-Express: TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 80 mm f/6 FPL53 Triplet Apo - 2.5" RAP Focuser

They also do a 70, 80 and 90mm triplet similar to the StellaMira:

Teleskop-Express: Triplet FPL-55 Apos with top mechanics and certificate

Be nice to know how that compared to the gt81. The £200 saving is nice if it's of similar quality. The thing going for the gt81 is Flo stock it and I can pop in to pick it up. But if anyone here has used both of love to hear their opinion. 

I wonder what's causing the recent issues with the esprit.