Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Loving these big ARs - 21st April

IB20

White light solar observing really is stepping up at the minute. It’s practically keeping my passion for the hobby alive and is so accessible. Some superb umbral filament structures encroaching into the penumbral regions. Likewise the contrast of filament striations in the penumbra look remarkable. It’s been great checking in day to day and seeing how the sunspots are evolving in shape and orientation.

The Tak, Pentax XWs and the Baader continuum filter are working together like a dream too, I couldn’t be happier at the eyepiece. They take a nice phone image too!

The only trouble with having such rewarding solar sessions is that I seem to have developed a brain worm for a Ha scope… 

25696B58-AF9E-4DF5-A33C-8104846BA81E.jpeg

FD96BF10-1D51-4F46-AA72-F9F8AD2311AC.jpeg

• Like 14

Excellent shots @IB20. It’s certainly a great time for solar observing, and the white light views are fantastic. Today has been poor here with a lot of hazy cloud around, so whilst I’ve seen the action it has not matched the views of the previous days. I agree that the detail visible is pretty incredible when the seeing settles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stu said:

Excellent shots @IB20. It’s certainly a great time for solar observing, and the white light views are fantastic. Today has been poor here with a lot of hazy cloud around, so whilst I’ve seen the action it has not matched the views of the previous days. I agree that the detail visible is pretty incredible when the seeing settles.

I’ve had that same haze for a few days, I was actually quite surprised that I could still see sunspots, albeit reduced in detail but still pleasing. Whereas at night I feel that would detract me from observing. 

I’ve been thinking about getting a full aperture filter for the 200mm dob, most accounts seem to say that seeing never really supports that aperture though and that 3-5” is pretty much optimum for WL solar. In fairness, from what I’m seeing it’s only really granulation that I would want more of! The Tak 76DC does an amazing job on sunspots and faculae. 

1 hour ago, IB20 said:

I’ve had that same haze for a few days, I was actually quite surprised that I could still see sunspots, albeit reduced in detail but still pleasing. Whereas at night I feel that would detract me from observing. 

I’ve been thinking about getting a full aperture filter for the 200mm dob, most accounts seem to say that seeing never really supports that aperture though and that 3-5” is pretty much optimum for WL solar. In fairness, from what I’m seeing it’s only really granulation that I would want more of! The Tak 76DC does an amazing job on sunspots and faculae. 

Yes, it’s amazing what you can see through when looking at the sun, but it was really killing the detail today.

Aperture does help with granulation certainly. It is there in the 76DC but really pops into view at high power on the 100DC. I don’t know how a 200p with film would compare with the Tak/Herschel wedge. A lot depends on seeing I think.

Bit wild out there today but sungazing still just taking it all on the chin; I rarely go out when it’s windy in the evenings. Orville the duck sunspot still going strong!

Also I can no longer take ARs seriously any longer thanks to @JeremyS

5E7CDBA2-50B3-438E-9DFB-A31CB553A5ED.jpeg

Edited by IB20
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1