SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How to stop T2 connections jamming

I had a T 2 ring get jammed in a diagonal and it took a while to find a way to separate them without breaking anything.

I've now got a couple of extension rings jammed together.

Is there anything I can put on the threads to stop this but which won't harm any optics or end up spreading everywhere over time?

You can put these between the 2 parts being joined: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-t-m42-adjustment-spacer-ring-set.html

That will prevent seizing for the most part. If you dont have enough thread to work with, or cant spare the added backfocus you can just lubricate the threads sparingly. I have a tiny dab of lithium grease on all my imaging train threads to prevent seizing and seems to work just fine and i have not destroyed any adapters since i started doing this. Obviously you shouldn't put so much there that it can spill over and start staining your sensor or some other optical component.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paz said:

I've now got a couple of extension rings jammed together.

I've got these apart in the past by putting them between the soles of my house shoes and pushing and twisting - always works for me and does no damage at all to the spacers. I've even used this approach to separate filters from spacers, etc.

IMG_3418.thumb.JPG.8ac4317e7875d27e5fe734af38c86383.JPG

HTH

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Craney said:

Isn't boot polish meant to be a good thread lubricant ??   .... or did I just day-dream that  ??

Boot polish is fine if its similar to this...

Kiwi_polish_black.jpg.8ce0d80ea9723e991ed60fce04838b02.jpg

Another tip is a pair of these.

resize.jpg.90d79256d70314ad667b78871e41eefa.jpg

Alan

• Like 3

My trick is to wrap Zinc Oxide tape round each part to be unscrewed - the coarse fabric surface of the tape gives you plenty of grip, even on a narrow spacer ring, then the tape peels off nicely. You can pick up the tape cheaply from any chemist or probably sports shop (as it is used for strapping sports injuries).

cheers,

Robin

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/04/2022 at 20:09, rwg said:

My trick is to wrap Zinc Oxide tape round each part to be unscrewed - the coarse fabric surface of the tape gives you plenty of grip, even on a narrow spacer ring, then the tape peels off nicely. You can pick up the tape cheaply from any chemist or probably sports shop (as it is used for strapping sports injuries).

cheers,

Robin

Zinc oxide tape did the job! I wrapped the smooth T2 barrel in tape and then gripped that with a big adjustable wrench, then gripped the other barrel in a vice and ended up gripping and pulling as hard as I could to get it to move.

I thought I had bent both parts in the process but it turns out that other than scratches they are still perfectly round and all is well.