NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Trapezium and Pup with 60mm?

I experienced the most steady seeing I have ever seen recently and spent a little time on Trapezium and the Pup with a 60mm scope (FS60CB).

Trapezium looked totally steady, resolvable with a 10mm Tak LE and very nicely separated with a Nagler zoom at 3mm. But no sign of E and F. Should it be possible to resolve E and F in a 60mm scope?

Then onto Sirius. Incredibly steady, minimal flaring and lovely diffraction rings, but no sign of the Pup. Again, should it be possible to resolve in excellent seeing with 60mm?

I didn't get as long as I would have liked on these targets but I'd be very interested to know if they should be possible in a 60mm scope.

Malcolm

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

I experienced the most steady seeing I have ever seen recently and spent a little time on Trapezium and the Pup with a 60mm scope (FS60CB).

Trapezium looked totally steady, resolvable with a 10mm Tak LE and very nicely separated with a Nagler zoom at 3mm. But no sign of E and F. Should it be possible to resolve E and F in a 60mm scope?

Then onto Sirius. Incredibly steady, minimal flaring and lovely diffraction rings, but no sign of the Pup. Again, should it be possible to resolve in excellent seeing with 60mm?

I didn't get as long as I would have liked on these targets but I'd be very interested to know if they should be possible in a 60mm scope.

Malcolm

The problem with tight and mismatched doubles is that you need magnification, but with a small aperture you soon hit problems with seeing.  I did just manage the Pup with 80mm of ap during twilight (which helps).  And I have seen the E and F stars with the 10" Dob.  

Doug.

• Like 2

I've spotted The Pup with my ED80, but it was not easy - (aperture makes a difference) but I've seen it quite often with my 180 Mak.

With the Trapezium, my 5" Mak shows the E star quite well but F takes a very dark sky which I don't have. With my 180 Mak, both E and F are visible on nights with excellent seeing and transparency.

Chris

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MalcolmM said:

Thanks all. I should probably look into limiting magnitude and resolution of 60mm but very interesting to read all your experiences.

Malcolm

Caution: take those specs with a large pinch of salt. They only refer to ordinary telescopes, not Taks 

🙂

• Haha 4

The first time I saw the Trapezium E & F was in my 10" dob, just over a year ago and they've been pretty reliably seen with this, assuming it's not crummy seeing.

Since then I've (just) managed to see one of them in my FC-100DZ, but haven't yet been able to spot either using FC-76DCU (with and without extender), FS-60CB or indeed my FOA-60Q... I have a feeling that if any 60mm was going to manage it, then this last one should be the one. Maybe I'll get lucky with it one day, but I my impression is that aperture does indeed matter here (along with good visibility).

I've yet to see the Pup, as whenever I've tried it's not been the best conditions... something for next Winter 🤞

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

The first time I saw the Trapezium E & F was in my 10" dob, just over a year ago and they've been pretty reliably seen with this, assuming it's not crummy seeing.

Since then I've (just) managed to see one of them in my FC-100DZ, but haven't yet been able to spot either using FC-76DCU (with and without extender), FS-60CB or indeed my FOA-60Q... I have a feeling that if any 60mm was going to manage it, then this last one should be the one. Maybe I'll get lucky with it one day, but I my impression is that aperture does indeed matter here (along with good visibility).

I've yet to see the Pup, as whenever I've tried it's not been the best conditions... something for next Winter 🤞

Thanks for the info @HollyHound, I was wondering if the 60CB plus extender might have done E and F as A-D were nicely separated and so steady in the conditions but from yours and everyone else's replies, it would seem unlikely in 60mm.

I think I had a 'probable' on the Pup with the 100DC a few weeks ago, posted elsewhere on this forum. Conditions were steady, though not as steady as what prompted this thread!

Envious of your FOA-60Q! Everything I've read and seen about it makes it sound like absolute perfection :)

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

I think I had a 'probable' on the Pup with the 100DC a few weeks ago, posted elsewhere on this forum. Conditions were steady, though not as steady as what prompted this thread!

This is comforting and so I will keep trying with mine, thanks 👍

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

Envious of your FOA-60Q! Everything I've read and seen about it makes it sound like absolute perfection :)

It is indeed… doubles are its speciality, but loves the moon too 😀

• Like 2