SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Altair Wave Series 125 EDF F7.8 APO

26 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can we just be clear here that a 5” triplet does require a substantial amount of cooling if taken out from a warm house. Martin stores his in a garage so does not require substantial cool-down time. I know from experience with a similar scope that 45 mins to an hour is required taking the scope out from the house in to cold conditions.

The 125mm doublet would need less I’m sure, and if travelling in a car to a dark site it would have time to cool to a certain level in the boot before arrival.I

From above I mentioned "Maybe a 115-120 mm would be a compromise?"

I mentioned the 115-120 mm size as the 125 mm is around 7.8 kg which would rule out quite a few light weight mounts...

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nicoscy said:

Gary, I use a Noh's CT30 mount for the 125. The CT-20 has been tested by others on the APM 6" scope and found just fine - I got the CT30 just because.

For the FS-102, I use the Stellarvue M2C is perfectly capable for a 4" class scope.

There are many options and while I do realize that there is a budget, if you do not have a decent mount and tripod, you will not enjoy the scope.

Then there is the Rowan AZ100 and soon the AZ75.

Options galore...

Thanks for posting this Nicos that looks very nice and weighs nothing, the Rowan AZ100 is one under consideration as the dual saddle arrangement might be useful in the future.

• Like 1

My thinking is I love looking at the moon on higher powers, there's so much to see and every evening it looks different plus I also love planetary views. This does mean a more comfortable session will be had with a driven mount. Equatorials to keep the 125 steady are quite heavy aren't they?

A used mount might be worth looking at.

4 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The AZ100 would be ideal and as it can be fitted with the GOTO upgrade very flexible. 

E0701F06-AD9D-4D3B-A4C0-A571C98FF5EB.jpeg

BC3B766B-E1E5-41E0-92EE-5279847FE508.jpeg

Thanks John, that's quite an expensive option however poss ideal for the 125 and um something else I don't have yet!

What I like about the AZ100 is ypu can start with the basic mount and upgrade as and when you want so the cost can be spread out.

Howeve4 used AZ100 mounts are as rare as hens teeth. 🙂

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

In an idea world to be as portable as possible a harmonic drive would be the lightest tracking mount running in Alt-Z mode.

However thats quite an expensive option.

I suspect the AZ100 tracking will be close to an EQ mount in cost but for the payload (up to 20 kg each side) will weight less.

A ScopeTech Zero is also great but the scope will need to be less than 7 kg (Hence 115 mm ) to be usable, but much more portable. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

What I like about the AZ100 is ypu can start with the basic mount and upgrade as and when you want so the cost can be spread out.

Howeve4 used AZ100 mounts are as rare as hens teeth. 🙂

I would prefer an alt az over an equatorial every time, it's just so easy to set up and to use. This is definitely on the short list John.

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

In an idea world to be as portable as possible a harmonic drive would be the lightest tracking mount running in Alt-Z mode.

I suspect the AZ100 tracking will be close to an EQ mount in cost but for the payload (up to 20 kg each side) will weight less.

A ScopeTech Zero is also great but the scope will need to be less than 7 kg (Hence 115 mm ) to be usable, but much more portable. 

I don't need super accurate tracking as I'm only visual tbf. Just keep the target in the field of view for 5 mins or so at high power and it would do for me. Alt az with tracking would do nicely. Are there other options does anyone know?

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

The Tecnosky 125, which is one of the other versions of the Altair Astro, weighs 7.6 Kg.  As it happens, I use a Tecnosky 102ED F7 on my Scopetech and It works well.  However, I suspect the 125 would be a bit too much on this mount.  It may take the weight, but I don't think it would be good enough at higher powers.

2134306069_Screenshot_20220412-171904_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.cfc82a3cc6c456207baf8d45a5e610b1.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

The AZ100 would be ideal and as it can be fitted with the GOTO upgrade very flexible. 

E0701F06-AD9D-4D3B-A4C0-A571C98FF5EB.jpeg

BC3B766B-E1E5-41E0-92EE-5279847FE508.jpeg

I've finished work now and I have a bit more time. I've just been looking at your setup here John. Is that sat on a Berlebach? What is the pier please?

Yes it’s a Berlebach Planet tripod. The UNI trippd is OK but the Planet is incrediblely solid. 

The 8” pillar extension is the new Rowan one and they will be releasing it for sale very shortly.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, johninderby said:

Yes it’s a Berlebach Planet tripod. The UNI trippd is OK but the Planet is incrediblely solid. 

The 8” pillar extension is the new Rowan one and they will be releasing it for sale very shortly.

Ah that explains things, Ive been looking everywhere for that pier!🤣

Lovely set up by the way.👍

Edited by ukskies

19 hours ago, Deadlake said:

From above I mentioned "Maybe a 115-120 mm would be a compromise?"

I mentioned the 115-120 mm size as the 125 mm is around 7.8 kg which would rule out quite a few light weight mounts...

Hi Deadlake, thank you and my apologies, I meant to reply earlier.

The problem is I really want an FC100DZ and the jump to 115 isn't quite enough to make me change that thinking tbh, I'd prefer the Tak 100 to a lesser 115 I think.

The 125 at just over half the cost does though I'm still favouring the Tak.

• Like 1

It sounds to me as if you already have made your mind up and trying to test that 'call' with this thread,
which based on the money involved makes sense to me.
Reading through the thread, you clearly want the Takahashi, so why not just go with it?

A 4" sized scope is a very versatile thing, I know as I love my Vixen ED103s.
I use it as 'the' scope and rarely use my 10" Dobson, so much so that I will sell the 10" this year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Alan. There is no right or wrong here. You WANT the 4" but logic says more light gathering. If you should ever change your mind re the Tak, they have excellent resale value. Also, you may buy the 5" to supplement later in the future.

Just remember to budget for the extras for the Tak:

• I would fit it with a MEF to have a two speed focuser. 
  • Don't buy the complete OTA package -  consider buying just the tube holder or the More Blue 95m rings and fitting a regular finderbase to use any finderscope / RDF as the straight through finder scope does not come with a chiropractor. You can fit this on any Takahashi focuser.
Edited by nicoscy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

It sounds to me as if you already have made your mind up and trying to test that 'call' with this thread,
which based on the money involved makes sense to me.
Reading through the thread, you clearly want the Takahashi, so why not just go with it?

A 4" sized scope is a very versatile thing, I know as I love my Vixen ED103s.
I use it as 'the' scope and rarely use my 10" Dobson, so much so that I will sell the 10" this year.

Do you know I'm right with you here, That Tak will give me years of enjoyment and my heart want's it. It will mean I have to save a little more and for longer but it is, for me at least a dream scope. Not sure the 125 will ever make me feel that way as good as it may be.

I will save a lot on the mount too so going for the 125 may not be the best way to go financially.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nicoscy said:

I agree with Alan. There is no right or wrong here. You WANT the 4" but logic says more light gathering. If you should ever change your mind re the Tak, they have excellent resale value. Also, you may buy the 5" to supplement later in the future.

Just remember to budget for the extras for the Tak:

• I would fit it with a MEF to have a two speed focuser. 
  • Don't buy the complete OTA package -  consider buying just the tube holder or the More Blue 95m rings and fitting a regular finderbase to use any finderscope / RDF as the straight through finder scope does not come with a chiropractor. You can fit this on any Takahashi focuser.

Thanks I think you're right Nicos but I will have to have the clamshell just because. 😃

I'm not overly impressed with the straight through finders, they are very uncomfortable to use.

• Like 1

Gary,

I have the clamshell on my 102NSV as well because... clamshell!

That link to Aliexpress will serve you fine. These come out in black and silver, but silver fits most for this scope! A good 6x30 or 8x50 RACI finderscope and you are good to go.

Another option closer to home but more expensive is this finder shoe.

There is also a More Blue fine focus option if you prefer that over the MEF option.

IMG_9226.jpg

• Thanks 1

Can I just thank all of you in this brilliant forum for your helpful well meant contributions.

Weighing up the pro's and cons your posts have helped me to decide to stay with the Takahashi FC100 DZ. 

The costs of securely mounting the 125 is so much higer than the Tak that the savings on the optical tube are cancelled out by the costs for the mount to a large extent plus it will never be a Takahashi.

I'm going with my heart this time and thanks again.

• Like 2

We are all here for you, eager to spend your money for you 🤣

But seriously, enjoy all the planning that goes now into deciding all the accessories for the scope and sooner than later hopefully, there will be a "First light with my Tak FC100DZ" report from you!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, nicoscy said:

We are all here for you, eager to spend your money for you 🤣

But seriously, enjoy all the planning that goes now into deciding all the accessories for the scope and sooner than later hopefully, there will be a "First light with my Tak FC100DZ" report from you!

Yes Thank you Nicos, I'm looking forward to that first light report myself already. Hopefully i'll get it sorted sooner than later.

No doubt I will need the assistance of the collective again before I'm finished.

Edited by ukskies
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...