NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripod portability and fixing a temporary loss of mojo

Hello all,

As mentioned in another post, I recently bought a Scopetech Mount Zero and made the unfortunate if perhaps predictable discovery that none of my current smaller tripods are up to holding it with my 102 F7 ED. This has had the side effect of a temporary loss of mojo and me missing out on a stretch of clear nights. I was really trying to avoid buying yet another tripod but at this point I just want to stop moping around feeling sorry for myself and solve the problem. 

As it stands, I have an EQ6 tripod and was using that with a skytee. It's a great, rock solid combo but quite a heavy endeavour to get up two flights of stairs, if I just want to do an hour or so observing, hence the Zero.  I could buy an adaptor for the EQ6 tripod, but it sort of defeats the object of portability. Looking at other tripod options, I suspect my answer is one of two things: either a Skywatcher steel-tube 1.75“ job, or a Berlebach, probably the Report 312. 

At the risk of having my SGL posting rights rescinded, though I understand the attraction to the Berlebach for many but I'm still not totally sure myself if I'm a fan of wooden tripods as I've never owned one, and not totally sure about the aesthetics 😱

The steel SW option probably makes most sense overall from a cost/sturdiness, but is it honestly much smaller/easier to move about than the EQ6 version I already have? 

As you can see I have got myself into a right pickle. Outside perspectives welcomed! 

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1

I did a head to head test between the Report and the 1.75” tripod and found the repprt had less vibration and was slightly more solid. Used a Skytee mount.

The EQ6 tripod is noticeable heavier and bulkier than the 1.75” but not a huge amoint heavier.

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, johninderby said:

I did a head to head test between the Report and the 1.75” tripod and found the repprt had less vibration and was slightly more solid. Used a Skytee mount.

The EQ6 tripod is noticeable heavier and bulkier than the 1.75” but not a huge amoint heavier.

Thanks John, that's good to know. I would really like to see both tripods in the flesh as were to get a feel for them. I understand the report payload is about 18kg and it weighs about 4.5kg itself? How portable do you find it? Would you say it's light enough to be classed as grab and go? 

My biggest concern with the steel SW is as mentioned, still too big and heavy to nip upstairs with on a whim and therefore not a big enough difference from the EQ6. 

The version of the Repprt I’m using weighs 4.5kg including the head and dual fit saddle. Supper portable as the spreader lets you fold it closed yet pop it open in a second for use so easy to carry through a doorway. You don’t have to use the tray for stability but convenient for putting stuff on. When fitted stores away ina closet or a corner.

I use it for grab’n’go and can carry the whole setup outside with one hand. 🙂

224A1E53-7C09-484C-A814-441977BBE81E.jpeg

3D239ED6-A1DC-45D7-99AE-D26B9F4658EC.jpeg

CB0AB1B4-7FD2-42AC-B56A-7903A40C52A1.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The version of the Repprt I’m using weighs 4.5kg including the head and dual fit saddle. Supper portable as the spreader lets you fold it closed yet pop it open in a second for use so easy to carry through a doorway. You don’t have to use the tray for stability but convenient for putting stuff on. When fitted stores away ina closet or a corner.

I use it for grab’n’go and can carry the whole setup outside with one hand. 🙂

224A1E53-7C09-484C-A814-441977BBE81E.jpeg

3D239ED6-A1DC-45D7-99AE-D26B9F4658EC.jpeg

CB0AB1B4-7FD2-42AC-B56A-7903A40C52A1.jpeg

Thanks John! Just to confirm, is that the Report 312 (with 3/8" bolt)?

3 minutes ago, badhex said:

Thanks John! Just to confirm, is that the Report 312 (with 3/8" bolt)?

Oh wait - you said you had used it with a Skytee so it must have been the M10 ver.? Berlebach do an M10 - 3/8" adaptor so if I did go with the Berlebach maybe it would make sense to get both for flexibility reasons?

Edited by badhex

Changing from SW aluminium tripods to BB wooden ones was a major step forward for me.

I use my Zero on a Report 312 with my smaller Taks. It does take the FC 100 DZ, but that is at the limit for my tastes.

Otherwise you are onto the BB which is much heavier than the Report

E029EF3F-3A9B-4967-8B22-7B50F7264839.thumb.jpeg.e7fb1543da5a96671f873b99670f9f1b.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Changing from SW aluminium tripods to BB wooden ones was a major step forward for me.

I use my Zero on a Report 312 with my smaller Taks. It does take the FC 100 DZ, but that is at the limit for my tastes.

Otherwise you are onto the BB which is much heavier than the Report

E029EF3F-3A9B-4967-8B22-7B50F7264839.thumb.jpeg.e7fb1543da5a96671f873b99670f9f1b.jpeg

So I would be using the tripod + Zero + 102 ED F7 which is a similar setup, perhaps only a touch shorter/lighter than the FC100DZ. Bit worrying that you say it's at the limits of the 312/Zero combo (specifically, do you mean limits of the tripod?). I also read just now that the 212 has a slightly higher max load (20kg instead of 18kg) presumably due to the max height being lower?

Edited by badhex

Another option is one of the high-payload super-light carbon fibre tripods which are coming onto the market in increasing numbers. I use a Gitzo 5-series with a TSA-120 and Skytee and it is rock solid. New they are expensive, but there are lots of secondhand camera stores where I found one for less than half price - about £400. Payload 40kg. Even with my dodgy back, it’s easy to lift the whole set up - tripod and mount - with one arm. There are cheaper alternatives to Gitzo if you look around.

AE025A97-51CA-4F39-AF64-0B2FCD37EF21.jpeg

50813F2E-74E2-4FBB-B09B-A4A702B7E00F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark. the Gitzo 5 is very tempting in terms of looks, capability and portability... everything except the cost in fact 😂

Might keep an eye out for second hand but not holding out much hope, my access to a trusted pool of second hand Astro stuff is a bit limited.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, badhex said:

Thanks Mark. the Gitzo 5 is very tempting in terms of looks, capability and portability... everything except the cost in fact 😂

Might keep an eye out for second hand but not holding out much hope, my access to a trusted pool of second hand Astro stuff is a bit limited.

Someone is selling a Report 312 in the Classifieds section at the moment - it's grey as well which may help your concern about aesthetics.  

Edited by wheresthetorch?
Edited for spelling
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, wheresthetorch? said:

Someone is selling a Report 312 in the Classifieds section at the moment - it's grey as well which may help your concern about aesthetics.  

Thanks for the heads up! Sadly as I'm in Germany it's not really feasible to purchase second hand stuff from the UK, the customs issues make it a nightmare for everyone involved and the import fees often negate the saving 🙄

• Sad 1

I went for a Uni 4, it's heavy (5kg odd) and quite wide in cross sectional volume when closed, it does however fit nicely in a yoga mat bag I bought for it so easy to carry around. It's so sturdy you could probably sit on it (though I wouldn't try it), can't say that for any other tripod I've ever used.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, badhex said:

Thanks for the heads up! Sadly as I'm in Germany it's not really feasible to purchase second hand stuff from the UK, the customs issues make it a nightmare for everyone involved and the import fees often negate the saving 🙄

Ah - I hadn't realised you weren't in the UK.  Yes, that would be more trouble and expense than it's worth.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, badhex said:

In other news, I have made the really rather dangerous mistake of reading/watching Gitzo series 5 reviews online and realised it's probably exactly what I'm looking for 😱

To save you some money, how about an Innorel (RT80C and RT90C) or Artcise tripod from Amazon? I have not tried any of them myself, but found quite good reviews online (not astro review all of them though). They do make versions each with a 20kg and 40kg payload capacity.

I have also come to conclusion that my Manfrotto tripod won't cut it too much longer and the Gitzo tripods were too expensive for my liking, hence why I discovered the alternatives.

Edited by Victor Boesen
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Victor Boesen said:

To save you some money, how about an Innorel (RT80C and RT90C) or Artcise tripod from Amazon? I have not tried any of them myself, but found quite good reviews online (not astro review all of them though). They do make versions each with a 20kg and 40kg payload capacity.

I have also come to conclusion that my Manfrotto tripod won't cut it too much longer and the Gitzo tripods were too expensive for my liking, hence why I discovered the alternatives.

They are certainly a lot cheaper. I only know a tiny bit about the Innorel and Artcise tripods, would be great to hear some real life experience of them. That said you do kinda know what you're getting with the gitzo, and I like the idea of the systematic series; the ability to swap out the mount point for different bolts or a central column etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Looks excellent Mark, how does the mount attach to the Gitzo? Is there an adapter we can buy? Thanks

I think they are commonly 3/8", but I believe you can swap out the central part for other sizes. 

• Like 1

Just now, jetstream said:

So most any mount with a 3/8" bolt and flat will attach?

From what I understand, yes - I've read some of the Gitzo documentation and video reviews etc. @Highburymark or @Stu will know more. Interested to know if Mark's has the M10 bolt or an adaptor. 

• Like 1