NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I give up - skywatcher 9x50 raci finder

1 minute ago, wulfrun said:

Unless I'm mistaken, it's the third support and is spring-loaded. Not a knob at all, twiddling it around does nothing and won't damage anything either.

ah - an idiot knob just for the likes of me then?  😀

• Haha 2

It’s actually a brilliant idea. You can align the finder with the other 2 knobs, the spring loaded one takes all the slack without having to tighten anything.

Previous generation finders with 3 standard adjustable screws were a pain in the derrière to line up. What you’ve got is so much better👍

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

It’s actually a brilliant idea. You can align the finder with the other 2 knobs, the spring loaded one takes all the slack without having to tighten anything.

Previous generation finders with 3 standard adjustable screws were a pain in the derrière to line up. What you’ve got is so much better👍

Not quite so sure. Mounted it and tried to align daytime today. The amount of play in the plastic ones gave out before I could get the cross hair centred on target.  Is there a trick to this or a starting point I should be aware of?  I have also played with the focus and that does not seem to do much either. Admittedly my first target was a bit close so maybe it will not focus down that close. Will try again on a more suitable target. 

Just now, Zermelo said:

It's one of those things that is obvious with hindsight/explanation but probably not obvious when you meet it for the first time.
You are probably more honest than most in admitting your bafflement.

Well as usual with these things, even a tiny little diagram included may have been a start.  Nothing in the box except the finder. Nothing at all! 

1 minute ago, Starslayer said:

Not quite so sure. Mounted it and tried to align daytime today. The amount of play in the plastic ones gave out before I could get the cross hair centred on target.  Is there a trick to this or a starting point I should be aware of?  I have also played with the focus and that does not seem to do much either. Admittedly my first target was a bit close so maybe it will not focus down that close. Will try again on a more suitable target. 

I get that sometimes on one of my scopes. It means the finder shoe isn't very well aligned with the OTA. The usual fix is to shim the finder foot in the desired direction with a bit of thin something. Then your adjustement will be sufficient.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Well as usual with these things, even a tiny little diagram included may have been a start.  Nothing in the box except the finder. Nothing at all! 

I know. Not unusual with Astro kit though. Either that, or a very dodgy translation from Chinese.

58 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

I have also played with the focus and that does not seem to do much either. . 

Just to clarify, focus is adjusted by loosening the large locking collar towards the objective end of the finder.

The objective lens can then be screwed forwards and backwards to set the focus.

When good focus has been reached, tighten the locking collar and it'll hold. 

As others have said, if the adjustment screws don't allow you to get good position on the cross hairs, then it's best adjusted by means of the finder mount in its shoe. 

ETA, sometimes you need to adjust the position of the rubber ring around the finder, so it's centred within the mount.

Edited by Gfamily

18 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

878FA372-EAD7-4848-872E-5D762296BCA1.jpeg

5388D37E-D065-4C45-B21A-799E1254EF6E.jpeg

The shoe looks well aligned with the scope so it should have enough adjustment. As mentioned above, make sure the the rubber O ring is seated properly so the finder is held centrally at the front.

I think you mentioned trying this on a nearby object? Definitely try on a distance object, or preferably the Moon or bright star as it should be easier, could be you are just trying on an object too close.

1 hour ago, Starslayer said:

Absolutely agree. I remember trying to figure out how to read the SW polarscope as my manual shows the constellation view whereas the scope has a clockface :)

2 minutes ago, Starslayer said:

Thank you for the continuing replies.  I will look at the focus again.  Is the movement internal as there is no obvious external movement other than twisting it. 

Yes, loosen the collar and the whole front of the finder holding the objective is on its own (internal) thread so it can be adjusted.

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

The shoe looks well aligned with the scope so it should have enough adjustment. As mentioned above, make sure the the rubber O ring is seated properly so the finder is held centrally at the front.

I think you mentioned trying this on a nearby object? Definitely try on a distance object, or preferably the Moon or bright star as it should be easier, could be you are just trying on an object too close.

Rubber O ring?

4 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

To  focus loosen the collar marked with the orange arrow then turn the part marked with the red arrow until focus is achieved then tighten the collar marked by the orange arrow. 

IMG_20220208_172238.jpg

Yes I am ok with that part thanks anyway. 

• Like 1