SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Any opinions/experience with this APO Triplet?

No the TS says comparable to FPL53

“Triplet Apo Objective with two special glasses (Lanthanum glass and FPL51) - Ohara Japan - colour correction comparable with FPL53 triplet objective”

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

You almost had me and made me go for an eye check tomorrow....:)

I doubt if it would be worth it then. I'd use it for visual and some beginner DSLR AP but I already got the SW 80ED and an old Evostar 120 achro. The last one is for pure visual of course

11 minutes ago, NVDW said:

I doubt if it would be worth it then.

That scope is excellent. Optics is color free and scope is very well corrected.

It really does not matter that it is not FPL-53. It is triplet scope. FPL-53 vs FPL-51 would be significant on fast ED doublet. Given that this is triplet scope - correction is more than fine, in fact better than on FPL-53 doublets.

Have a look at this review by Ed Ting, there is part on AP as well:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, NVDW said:

You almost had me and made me go for an eye check tomorrow....:)

I doubt if it would be worth it then. I'd use it for visual and some beginner DSLR AP but I already got the SW 80ED and an old Evostar 120 achro. The last one is for pure visual of course

Afaik an fp51 triplet would be as good as, or better corrected than an fpl53 doublet of the same aperture and similar quality. Although heavier and with a longer cool down time.

Edit: Vlaiv beat me to it. 😉

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 1

I would expect the colour correction to be excellent, but far more important will be the figure. If its excellent, showing virtually no spherical abberation, the scope should be a formidable performer.  It would certainly greatly outperform both the 80ED in terms of light grasp, resolution and colour correction, and will leave the 120 Evostar achromat in the dust in its lunar and planetary performance. It should also show tighter star images than the Evostar 120 achro, which will provide better definition of lunar and planetary. 

Hmmm much to think about.

'Problem' is that I really have too much scopes TBH: 70ED,80ED,80 achro,120 achro,127 Mak, Meade 8" and a C11...

I thought about replacing the 80ED and 120 achro for the 115mm but AP will never be my main goal and I have some other stuff too :p

So it's hard to justify the extra expense,even with selling 2 scopes.

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Which version? The Altair.

Yes sorry.  That a difficult one.   The Altair is €2400 shipped to Europe.  The other brands €1400,-   

Altair is the best looking and focussing probably….

For €2400,- i would go for a feathertouched Technosky over the Altair

There was a member who bought the Altair a few weeks ago, maybe he can review the focuser?

Edited by Robindonne

15 hours ago, NVDW said:

This Altair is 1300eur with the the reducer kit.

Brand new but not from an astroshop so no warranty which bothers me a bit.

We are really not interested in that source. Nobody wants to know where to buy telescopes for 60% of the regular price.😉