Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Altair Wave 115 Triplet Apo

Morning everyone,

Does anyone know if the Altair 115 Triplet Apo uses FPL-51 or FPL-53 glass?

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-wave-series-115-f7-ed-triplet-apo-453-p.asp

I know their Starwave 115 Triplet uses something similar to FPL-51 and it looks similar to the 115 model that TS Optics and Astro-Tech etc. sell. But the above Wave model is £700 more expensive, for which price you'd expect FPL-53. I can't find any info on the product page about the type of glass used. I believe it is a new model for 2021 too.

Thanks,

Chris

By the looks of it - it is the same scope with mechanics improved (3.5" focuser and fancier tube rings and matching dovetail plate + dew shield in color and focuser adapter).

Original triplet with FPL-51 is rather good and I don't really see much room for improvement with FPL-53 glass.

FPL-53 is marketing magnet and if they used it - I'm sure it would be all over the page and there is no single mention of it.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks for the info everyone. The improved mechanics i.e. focuser and tube rings etc. make it a very tempting prospect regardless of the glass type.

I was going to buy the TS Optics version, but it's not in stock until the middle of February.

It's just for deep sky imaging of smaller objects like galaxies and planetary nebulae with my Atik 428EX. Already have an FSQ-85EDX and Atik 383L for wide-field stuff.

Anyway, I might go ahead with the Altair one.

Chris

16 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I was looking at those and they look really nice, but as you say, pretty expensive. That or a Tak TSA-120/TOA-130 would a dream scope I think.

I'm not an expert, but I picked up a 2nd hand Wave 115 earlier this year, and it's currently producing tighter stars than a similarly sized apo with FPL-53 glass. Obviously there are a million factors, and I don't think I have the best example of an FPL-53 apo, but I'm very happy with the 115.

1 hour ago, Chris Willocks said:

Morning everyone,

Does anyone know if the Altair 115 Triplet Apo uses FPL-51 or FPL-53 glass?

https://www.altairastro.com/altair-wave-series-115-f7-ed-triplet-apo-453-p.asp

I know their Starwave 115 Triplet uses something similar to FPL-51 and it looks similar to the 115 model that TS Optics and Astro-Tech etc. sell. But the above Wave model is £700 more expensive, for which price you'd expect FPL-53. I can't find any info on the product page about the type of glass used. I believe it is a new model for 2021 too.

Thanks,

Chris

It uses FPL-51 but don't let that put you off in this case its an excellent bit of kit that performs very well for astrophotography,. Having said this through there are there seems little reason to chose this scope over the TS-optics version which is cheaper, FLO might be able to get you one as it seems that they are importing TS scopes at the moment. Its out of stock because its a total bargain. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J

Thanks again for all the advice everyone. After a bit of thought, I've gone and pulled the trigger on the Altair Wave 115.

I know it's a little more expensive, but I like the fact that it comes with the Losmandy style bar. I probably would have changed the tube rings and bar anyway on the TS Optics 115, which would have added another £200 to £300 onto the price. Plus it has the optical report with it, so you know you're likely getting a decent piece of glass. The 3.5" focuser looks quite sturdy too, which is obviously important for imaging.

For the same money, I could have bought a Tak FC-100, which is a legendary scope. But like a lot of Tak scopes, they don't seem to equip them with focusers dedicated for imaging, without paying extra for a Starlight etc.

Anyway, I'll post some unboxing images when I receive the scope, hopefully on Monday.

Chris

• Like 2

So I've finally received the scope I must say it's a beaut; quite a bit bigger than I thought in real life, but they always are. Makes the FSQ-85 look tiny:

20220124_150814.thumb.jpg.22dceada2da139ebb958ed334c1bdb42.jpg

20220124_150802.thumb.jpg.fb514e8b7c97ca44ef762bcec73bd7dc.jpg

The focuser is pretty large as well. Should be good for imaging:

20220124_150749.thumb.jpg.7715e838fd168dc3e90aa39cbb2e41a7.jpg

I like the fact that they include the optical report. Strehl ratio is 0.980, which I presume is quite good?

20220124_150734.thumb.jpg.1d304b684a035bb5fb4af4adf3e250fd.jpg

Anyway, just installed it in the dome with the FSQ piggybacked. Hopefully I can get imaging with it soon, when the weather picks up.

Chris

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Chris Willocks said:

So I've finally received the scope I must say it's a beaut; quite a bit bigger than I thought in real life, but they always are. Makes the FSQ-85 look tiny:

20220124_150814.thumb.jpg.22dceada2da139ebb958ed334c1bdb42.jpg

20220124_150802.thumb.jpg.fb514e8b7c97ca44ef762bcec73bd7dc.jpg

The focuser is pretty large as well. Should be good for imaging:

20220124_150749.thumb.jpg.7715e838fd168dc3e90aa39cbb2e41a7.jpg

I like the fact that they include the optical report. Strehl ratio is 0.980, which I presume is quite good?

20220124_150734.thumb.jpg.1d304b684a035bb5fb4af4adf3e250fd.jpg

Anyway, just installed it in the dome with the FSQ piggybacked. Hopefully I can get imaging with it soon, when the weather picks up.

Chris

Congrats on the new scope. 

I’ve always felt that Altair’s scopes are a level up in quality of build compared to the rest of the mass produced scopes on the market. Especially their focusers and rotators. 

Always wondered who makes their scopes?

Same factory that builds many of the TS refractors, Technosky and many of FLOs. All built to the same quality but the various resellers add different accessories. 

The quality of this new crop of scopes is really very, very impressive.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johninderby said:

Same factory that builds many of the TS refractors, Technosky and many of FLOs. All built to the same quality but the various resellers add different accessories. 

The quality of this new crop of scopes is really very, very impressive.

I can only vouch for my Altair Starwave 70EDQ-R 4 element Apo. I have a WO Star 71 5 element apo and an Esprit 100. The fit and finish, especially on the focuser is excellent, even compared to the Esprit. The focuser and rotator are buttery smooth, and the paint job is top notch, even though that's just cosmetic.

:)

That looks a fantastic scope - congratulations :thumbright:

With optical test results like that plus the fit and finish of the scope, you really do wonder why people shell out more than twice as much for one beginning with T that has 5mm more aperture :icon_scratch:

Same for my new Tecnosky. Fit and finish are flawless, optics are great, focuser is super smooth. Only things I did to it was fit a Losmandy dovetail and a handle. Like the fact that have fitted a focuser extender on mine which can be removed if you need more in focus travel for a solar wedge etc.

Edited by johninderby

11 hours ago, John said:

That looks a fantastic scope - congratulations :thumbright:

With optical test results like that plus the fit and finish of the scope, you really do wonder why people shell out more than twice as much for one beginning with T that has 5mm more aperture :icon_scratch:

Looking at the performance report is this poly Strehl or at a particular wave length?
Also PV of the lens has an effect. But now Far East is showing performance reports hard to ignore compared to top tier.
Having said that I know some AP owners rate that brand high then the Takahashi's they also own......

Edited by Deadlake