NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New DSO imagers, you don't have to hide away from a full moon.

tomato

I was out last night doing housekeeping on the rig and imaging as I steadfastly refuse to waste a clear night, moon up or not. Just as an exercise I imaged the Horsehead Nebula, 8 x 2 min exposures with a IMX 571 OSC camera and an Esprit 150 refractor. The moon was 85% illuminated and about 30 degrees away from the target, I had an LED street light directly below Orion.  This was imagined in RGB, no NB filters.

OK, it wasn't taken with entry level kit and it won't get an APOD, but all I'm saying is if we get a clear night and the moon is up, still have a go, you might be pleasantly surprised.

B33_IMX571OSC_8x2mins-RGB-session_1_session_2-mod-lpc-cbg-St.thumb.jpg.847b98338e4b3d7ef73a474ed4a495e8.jpg

Edited by tomato
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Oh you are not helping me spend any less money on this hobby! That said, I fully enjoyed my hour or so moving about the moon last night, when I realised the promised fog hadn't materialised! Goes to show that if you don't try you don't get...

As a beginner I'm always mindful about trying to image DSOs when the moon is up. Your image looks great but is the quality of this down to your equipment or with your processing skills in removing light pollution?  

• Like 1

Totally agree,

These days we are 'blessed' with a big bright Moon whenever it is clear.    <  Is there a causal connection there  ?? ....hmmm possible research ??? >

So you just have to get on with it.  Always good to look to the other side of the sky and eek out some rare  Abell or Sharpless classified oddity that shines in Ha or O3.

I tried for this one last night....  Abell 31 (not my picture) which is in Cancer.   It was just a bit too big for my setup, but I know it's there and I will bag it soon. 

Abell 31 - Wikipedia

• Like 2

Here is what one 2 min sub looks like, calibrated and streched but no LP removal applied. The first image I posted is only 16 mins of integration taken under very adverse conditions, so I'd be interested to see what can be achieved with longer integration times and maybe a less severe LP contribution from the moon. 

For sure, a cooled dedicated astro camera will be a lot more sensitive than a DSLR, but I know some folks won't set up if there is a first quarter moon or bigger in the sky, even with dedicated equipment. I think there is  some worthwhile DSO imaging time to be had under those conditions.

2022-01-13_22-01-11_-20.00_120.00s_0001-St.thumb.jpg.ae67d54dd78286983551bcdcd6392f40.jpg

I agree!

I took a stab at the Iris nebula across two nights with a 94% moon and 88% moon I believe.

Just over 4 hours of 30 second subs, OSC from a modified Canon 600D with a WO Z73 III on a Sky Guider Pro. I was amazed at how well it actually turned out, all things considered (gear used, moon etc)

Credit to @ONIKKINEN for walking me through handling the data, had to follow a literal step by step process to get it looking like this :D 

1608156882_NGC7023-Complete(touchup).jpg.cd8968af491108a33d2545d5066aa59d.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Narrowband filters are also a good option for Moonlit nights, this was taken a couple nights ago

Agreed, this is always a good option. If using a DSLR / OSC there is always the option of a dual band filter such as the L-extreme or similar.

Browsing through my available catalogue of subs i find that there is somewhere around 1-1.5 magnitudes of difference in sky brightness (18.5-20) for nights with no moon vs a night with a full Moon. All of my examples were such that the Moon was on the opposite side of the sky, so it could be much worse but far from wasted.

There are more than 4 magnitudes of difference in people imaging from dark skies vs very light polluted skies and both can take good looking images, so no real reason to shy away from imaging with the Moon in the way. Of course an hour from a no Moon night will be more valuable in terms of signal to noise ratio than an hour with a full Moon, but it wont be "wasted" like i fear some people might think. The only way a full Moon can make me lose imaging time from broadband DSO imaging is if i decide to shoot the Moon instead.

It's bitterly cold so went on the practicing kit arrangement option, unfortunately the testing to see if I can extend the camera usb otg cable wasn't a success back to pondering that one. Getting that sorted removes the need to be outside, though whilst I know I've other options I'm sticking with exhausting can I make what I'd rather use work for now. 

So it's One o'clock in the morning and still clear....   Moon is an hour or so from going behind my neighbours house, still casting shadows.  Some clouds scudding across as well.

Work day tomorrow.....  Lets try a LUM widefield and let it run until dawn.   Shriek !!   ... with a 3/4 Moon!!

Bodes_eq80atik414ex_LUM-Luminance-session_1-St.thumb.jpg.ad17777fd0e60897018102646d979aba.jpg

This is what I got after 355 x 30 sec exposures.  ( Equinox 80 + atik 414ex).

If nothing else, it highlighted that I need to clean the imaging train as there were a few huge dust bunnies to photoshop out.

• Like 4

I also imaged Bode's galaxy last night :D

Though, I did not capture nearly as much detail as you two! Think it was about 90% moon, managed about 1 hr 30 of 30 second subs with a modded canon 600D.

still waiting for my power bank to be delivered to be able to use my EQ6-R Pro, so hopefully this was my last deep sky outing using a Sky Guider Pro!

1395050243_colouradj.thumb.png.71987907231c51d7475a27bfd7eaa269.png

Edited by Iem1
  • Like 2

I don't have an image to share because my laptop gave up on me last night. But since getting the l-enhance filter, I never consider the moon (a major) factor. As long as my target is relatively far away from the moon, I consider clear nights too rare to lose.

• Like 2

I’m in a Bortle 5/6 location according to the LP map, the Milky Way is just visible when my vision has dark adapted. I have  a LED streetlight on the adjacent road facing towards the garden which I normally keep well clear of, but Orion was directly above it when I took the subs.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2022 at 16:47, tomato said:

still have a go

+1. Absolutely.

Just look at those gradients.

This was our effort last night, the moon gradient not helped by high haze. From the edge of a small village with a -desperately-in-need-of-tlc- 6" telescope and equally bashed around eos700d.

No need to sit out if it's too cold. This session was controlled through to dawn using EKOS' scheduler. Keep a check using your 'phone if you feel the need. All around 2 1/2 hours in 3 minute frames.

No need to spend hours/days processing either. Around 20 minutes per shot on a fast ryzen.

Full moon again tonight:)

ngc1342

1342.thumb.png.3a61699c1fcfddca32ff5d85400f0615.png1-1342.thumb.jpg.3fbdeea72df0853645eeba8637253d6d.jpg

ngc1528

1528.thumb.png.4cce343ebff11a89348642ea02a035c9.png1-1528.thumb.jpg.abf8d621725255f34214c8314b11bc33.jpg

m41

41.thumb.png.c13fc11e163392a772aa8553ccaa7ad7.png1-41.thumb.jpg.755d89694de6bd84dd9ae2d66fcff06c.jpg

m108

108.thumb.png.0cd57611d2379d8cf70aba221c754c59.png1-108.thumb.jpg.7c6e257e11f4b029529b6b4afa07829e.jpg

Edited by alacant
  • Like 3