NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from freezing cold Northern Alberta Canada!

GrillBoss

I took early retirement last year and with more time for hobbies I recently took up star gazing with the purchase of a Heritage 150p.  My skies are Bortle 4 and I'm 550 meters above sea level so my night skies often have great views of the Milky Way and other DSOs.  I also have regular opportunities to see the Aurora Borealis as I am at 55 degrees north latitude.   The only problem is the weather, tonight it is forecast to drop to -26 degrees with wind chills that feel like -36.  I have to pop into the house often to warm up so my night vision suffers.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

https://gearscanada.com/collections/heated-clothing

Problem solved.  And if you're into astrophotography, you'll never have to worry about sensor noise either.

I already use the electrically heated socks.  For the rest I just layer on the warm clothes until I look like the Michelin Man.   My fingers and nose freeze first.  I'll have to try those heated gloves but some things (like changing eyepieces) require bare hands. 

4 minutes ago, GrillBoss said:

I already use the electrically heated socks.  For the rest I just layer on the warm clothes until I look like the Michelin Man.   My fingers and nose freeze first.  I'll have to try those heated gloves but some things (like changing eyepieces) require bare hands. 

Someone has to invent the heated nose sock.

2 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Someone has to invent the heated nose sock.

I have full face ski masks that can keep my face warm as well as a full snowmobile suit but at some point it all gets too difficult to observe.  I prefer to just pop into the house to warm up every 20 minutes or so when it gets this cold.

• Haha 1

A warm welcome to SGL from not so far north but temps in winter can dip to -30 regardless, it seems I'm nowhere near as brave as you if you're observing in those temps. It's no wonder Albertan's think Ontarian's are soft 🤣

Edited by Sunshine

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Congratulations on the retirement! We are down here in North Dakota and I am a new member as well, so welcome! I have visited BC, but I need to visit Alberta... it looks gorgeous! I know what you mean with these temperatures, it is a shame to have such crystal clear nights with such cold, biting winds, but it still is nice to poke our heads out of the car for whatever amount of time we can bear it and take a peek at the sky. Hopefully spring comes soon for us!