Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is this?

gorann

Came across this image on Pinterest. Does anyone have an idea what the guy is up to? The image has a title ("Catoptric - Tri-Schiefspiegler") but no description.

Should I wish for one of these things for Christmas?

Cheers, Göran

191b59745169e9fa69ff3c8d07f30e8a.jpg

• Like 1

It's a very long focus reflector. Schiefspieglers typically have spherical mirrors and are in the area of f/25. They work off axis but with the very long focus they have minimal astigmatism. The primary in the pic would appear to be around 12" and reflects onto another mirror that is not visible behind the panel at the left of the telescope. That mirror reflects onto the small mirror seen just left and above the main mirror which, in turn, reflects into the eyepiece.

Nigel

• Like 1

That reminded me of an article in a copy of Sky and Telescope which I just dug out. 1975. I was a young man then!

I would have thought collimation would be a nightmare, with three mirrors to align.

SandT.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check out the definitive page for weird telescopes http://spider.seds.org/scopes/dstevick/weird.html 

This is the original page your pic was taken from http://spider.seds.org/scopes/dstevick/trischi.html

Buchroeder design Tri-Schiefspiegler on this provisional structure. The optics for the 300mm Tri-Schief  ....

I always wanted a Stevick Paul

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, lukebl said:

That reminded me of an article in a copy of Sky and Telescope which I just dug out. 1975. I was a young man then!

I would have thought collimation would be a nightmare, with three mirrors to align.

SandT.jpg

those prices arn't far off what they are now... 45 year later !

4 minutes ago, powerlord said:

those prices arn't far off what they are now... 45 year later !

True. Astronomy is a lot more affordable now.

You can't beat a basic 200mm Newt, which now costs about the same as the little basic 60mm refractor I used as kid (but which still enabled me to get a grade A in O-Level Astronomy, I might add!)