Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to me FS-78

Franklin

Been a little frustrating since I got this old Tak FS-78 a few weeks ago. Not only have the clouds rolled in most nights but I'm in the middle of moving, it's xmas and my temporary flat has no garden, just a balcony.

I have had a chance to test the optics on some terrestial targets and there's not really a lot I can say, it's blown me away. I'm no expert and this is the first premium type scope I've had. All I can say is that I now understand what all you lot have been banging on about. Even though it's 17 years old, it's a really nice 3" refractor.

And 3" refractors are something I've had a soft spot for over the years, ever since reading the advice from Sir Patrick Moore in his books when I was a kid. I've had quite a few 3" refractors and the best has been the Vixen 80M. It's a traditional, good quality, achromat and I've had a few samples over the years. At present I have the slightly more modern version, the A80M. This scope is very sharp and performs well for it's aperture, although there is still some CA on brighter objects. It's made a nice comparison scope for the FS-78.

The last couple of mornings have been clear and Sol has obliged with a fine display of sunspot activity. With a 1.25" Lunt wedge, Baader solar continuum filter and the Hyperion Zoom I have had a chance to compare the views between the Vixen crown & flint and the Tak fluorite. The CA with the Vixen is of no consequence when using the continuum filter and the apertures are very similar, so the difference between the two should be all down to the quality of the optics. The solar white light views with the Vixen A80M were very good, clear and contrasty, showing penumbral detail around the spots, faculae and a hint of granulation. The image remained good up to the 12mm(75x) zoom setting but began to lose contrast at the 8mm(114x). The seeing could have been a contributing factor to this. Next up the Tak FS-78. Same again, very good, clear and contrasty but I could instantly recognise and see much more detail, especially with the faculae and granulation. Even though the view with the Vixen was very good, with the Tak the Suns disk just exploded with detail. The 8mm zoom setting with the Tak gives 78x because of the shorter focal length, so it is unfair to judge the Vixen on that count alone. Enter the X2.25 Hyperion zoom barlow. With the zoom and barlow combo set at 8mm(3.5mm) giving around 180x in the FS-78 the image quality was retained. This is the best high mag, close up views of sunspots I've ever seen. I still love my 3" Vixen achro but I am very impressed with the performance of the Tak FS-78 and look forward to getting it set up under dark skies. I read an online review of the FS-78 where it was described as one of the best 3" refractors out there. It may or may not be the best out there, but it is certainly the best 3" refractor I've ever had.

I've always thought that the saying " as sharp as a tac " was some kind of reference to the sharpness of the pointed end of a tac or nail. I now realise that someone must have misspelled the word tac long ago, because the real saying should read " as sharp as a Tak ". So to sum up, that is how I have found my first experiences with this 17 year old Takahashi FS-78, it is very, very sharp.😃

20211216_110935.jpg

20211216_111000.jpg

20211216_112207.jpg

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Ah, dweller25, it's you! The other day there was a very interesting thread on here about giving out advice. I was trying to think of the best advice I've ever read on here and I immediately thought of the caption in your signature. I knew I'd read it somwhere but I just couldn't remember where. Classic!😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Super setup. And another Tak convert?

One of those strange coincidences; I have just spent weeks agonising over whether to buy a Vixen AP or not - I think they look gorgeous (call me vain!). Eventually decided to and then spent another week agonising over which tripod to get. I had it down to the HAL, Report 272 or Uni 8. Finally decided on the Uni 8 as Berlebach seem to have as strong a following as Takahashi! Now a couple of days later I see your setup and am thinking hmmmmmm it looks great! Touch wood (when it arrives!) I'll not regret not having an all Vixen mount.

I'm hoping to use it with an FS60CB mostly, but do have the FC76 objective unit so will have a very similar setup to yourself.

Anyway, I hope the clouds clear for you and you get lots of Sharp as a Tac nights of enjoyment!

Malcolm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I've admired the design of the AP mount from afar for quite a while but had no intention of getting one because of the expense and I also have a GP2 on the HAL130.

But I was given the opportunity to buy an AP at a very good price and I already had the APP-130 for my Porta II. I'm so glad I did, it's an absolutely superb mount, I know the capacity is quite low but the design and quality is just unique, there's nothing else like it on the market. I hope to get an APZ base for it soon so I can go Alt-az with it.

Can't help but think that the new young designers at Vixen must have been brought up watching "Transformers"😃.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

That really is a beautiful looking scope. Nicer looking than the FC-76DC I think 👍.

4 hours ago, Franklin said:

but I could instantly recognise and see much more detail, especially with the faculae and granulation. Even though the view with the Vixen was very good, with the Tak the Suns disk just exploded with detail.

This is exactly what I’ve been banging on about for ages. Even a comparatively plain disk can be amazing to look at in a top quality setup because the granulation is dazzling!

This is my recently acquired 76DC, looking forward to having plenty more fun with it, as m sure you will with your 78.

5DA7C41B-AFAA-4C17-9562-29B8B03771E4.jpeg

• Like 3

Great setup and enjoyable read, Tim👍😊.

I think the fact that it's 17 years old just adds to it's appeal..IMHO the FS series were/are real modern classics, and still stand up visually to pretty much anything on the market today..

I also love the Tak clamshells and much prefer the one on my FS128 to a pair of rings..so easy to adjust, and the scope just feels "planted" when held by the solid clamshell.

I look forward to a night time first light when conditions allow.

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stu said:

I assume it’s a kind of modern version of the GP? With dual axis controls or Goto

It is Vixen's replacement for the now discontinued GP2 and although it looks quite similar it is in fact very different. Firstly, it has a payload capacity of 6kg as opposed to the GP's 7kg. The GP can, for visual, carry a bit more but the AP is better with a bit less (5kg) imo. Secondly, it has friction clutches which takes some getting used to but when you do they're brilliant. The tracking motor is very quietly ticking away, you glide the scope around by hand to your area of interest, no need to unlock or lock anything. As long as you're balanced and have set the tensions right, it just stays put and the Starbook 1 dual axis drives are a pleasure to use, they're very precise and responsive. The worms and gears have zero play or backlash, it's very impressive and makes the synta RA drive I have on the GP appear quite rustic (still does the job though). Thirdly, the mount is stupidly modular. You can swap out the complete manual worm and gear units for motors, take off the DEC axis and convert it to a Star-tracker and with the APZ base unit, it becomes the APZ alt az with an 8kg payload. All of these add-ons come at a price and the basic model is expensive to start with but it is very nice. It will all break down to fit in a small hard case. The Starbook 1 has autoguiding capability and PEC error for all the imagers out there, and the mount can be controlled by the Stabook 10 for GoTo. It's a shame Vixen couldn't have build a bit more capacity into it because I think a 4" refractor may be a touch to much, although the very lightweight FC100DC would be a match made in heaven with it. I best start writing my letter to Santa!😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

I also love the Tak clamshells and much prefer the one on my FS128

Thanks Dave. I can now fully comprehend why your FS-128 is your forever scope and yes the single clamshell is brilliant, absolutely no need for a rotatable focuser with one of these.

Slightly off topic, have you made a Will yet? 🤣(only joking).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Franklin said:

It is Vixen's replacement for the now discontinued GP2 and although it looks quite similar it is in fact very different. Firstly, it has a payload capacity of 6kg as opposed to the GP's 7kg. The GP can, for visual, carry a bit more but the AP is better with a bit less (5kg) imo. Secondly, it has friction clutches which takes some getting used to but when you do they're brilliant. The tracking motor is very quietly ticking away, you glide the scope around by hand to your area of interest, no need to unlock or lock anything. As long as you're balanced and have set the tensions right, it just stays put and the Starbook 1 dual axis drives are a pleasure to use, they're very precise and responsive. The worms and gears have zero play or backlash, it's very impressive and makes the synta RA drive I have on the GP appear quite rustic (still does the job though). Thirdly, the mount is stupidly modular. You can swap out the complete manual worm and gear units for motors, take off the DEC axis and convert it to a Star-tracker and with the APZ base unit, it becomes the APZ alt az with an 8kg payload. All of these add-ons come at a price and the basic model is expensive to start with but it is very nice. It will all break down to fit in a small hard case. The Starbook 1 has autoguiding capability and PEC error for all the imagers out there, and the mount can be controlled by the Stabook 10 for GoTo. It's a shame Vixen couldn't have build a bit more capacity into it because I think a 4" refractor may be a touch to much, although the very lightweight FC100DC would be a match made in heaven with it. I best start writing my letter to Santa!😃

Sounds excellent! I imagine an FC100DC may well be ok on it; Vixen are often conservative with their specs anyway.

I did pick up an old GP-DX recently from @skybadger because I missed my old GP 🤪. Good to see Vixen moving the designs on though, the modularity sounds very useful. I just wish they were cheaper over here.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Sounds excellent! I imagine an FC100DC may well be ok on it; Vixen are often conservative with their specs anyway.

I really hope you are correct here @Stu. I've ordered one primarily for FS60CB/Q/76 objective unit combo but was dubious whether it would deal with the 100DC at high magnification. It's a lovely looking mount! I've been coveting one for a year now!

Malcolm

• Like 2