NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from NW Cumbria in the UK

Guest Cumbrianwolf

Guest Cumbrianwolf

Good afternoon to you all, my probably long-winded life story / introduction!

The last time I had the current kit out was in 2015 as confirmed by my handset details, this was due to suffering a long term debilitating lower back issue meant I only just glimpsed into the realms of astrophotography before I threw the towel in and sold the majority of my good eyepieces and the synguider, which in hindsight was silly, but that is the way it goes. I was previously not physically able to move the kit back and forth from the house, and an observatory or fixed pier was not a choice at this location. Needless to say I am much better now and learning to live with the issue, so I took the plunge, cleaned the mirrors, collimated the scope, charged the powerbank up, set the mount up and out I went with my zoom eyepiece and I enjoyed the evening until everything froze over. ;)
On a serious note, I am really considering reducing the optical size of the telescope in the near future to something more practical as this 10-inch-254 mm parabolic mirrored Newtonian and the NEQ6 mount is not that much fun to shift back and forth into the house as I found out! Look forward to picking your brains and hopefully catching up with old members from astronomyshed. Respect and peace, John.

Current kit specifications are:
TS GSO 10" 254 mm f/ 4 1016 mm parabolic imaging Newtonian
2” Monorail Crawford focuser with a 10:1 gear option.
Skywatcher NEQ6 SkyScan Pro
TS Optics 2" Newtonian Telescope Coma Corrector for f/4 optics
TS Optics 80 mm Guide Scope
Canon EOS 7D Camera
Sky-Watcher 22Ah Power Tank (Yuasa battery upgrade)

Welcome aboard SGL John. Good to have you with us.

The best scope is a scope that's getting used, as the old adage goes. My main scope is a C925 which can be a bit of a heft to get in and out of the house, but lately have been enjoying the views from a much smaller 80mm frac as a "grab and go". It's a different type of observing of course, but the lower power and wider fields can be just as much fun. I'm spending more time getting acquainted with an object's neighbourhood, which helps put them more in context. Likewise with the moon, with lower powers I'm getting a different view to what I'm used to. Quick setup is getting more important as the chances to observe over the last year seem fewer and fewer.

Whatever kit you decide to use, your old friends are still up there waiting for you. Enjoy!

Guest Cumbrianwolf
17 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Hi and welcome to a fellow Cumbrian.

(Technically I am not Cumbrian as I believe the standard for acceptance is 3 generations🤣)

I am sure they will accept you out in Penrith, not so much the outer areas, as those areas need you to undergo a full ritual of rights to be an honorary Cumbrian! 😂

Guest Cumbrianwolf
2 hours ago, Starwatcher2001 said:

Welcome aboard SGL John. Good to have you with us.

The best scope is a scope that's getting used, as the old adage goes. My main scope is a C925 which can be a bit of a heft to get in and out of the house, but lately have been enjoying the views from a much smaller 80mm frac as a "grab and go". It's a different type of observing of course, but the lower power and wider fields can be just as much fun. I'm spending more time getting acquainted with an object's neighbourhood, which helps put them more in context. Likewise with the moon, with lower powers I'm getting a different view to what I'm used to. Quick setup is getting more important as the chances to observe over the last year seem fewer and fewer.

Whatever kit you decide to use, your old friends are still up there waiting for you. Enjoy!

I agree, my original idea was to have the best of both worlds, but you really cannot appreciate the weight and size of such equipment until it is here in front of you. Mind you, the 14" GOTO Dobsonian was far worse to take apart and shift back and forth, so I should count my blessings in one sense.