Jump to content

NLC-Banner.thumb.jpg.acb5ba835b9e8bf0718b90539633017d.jpg

EQ5 Deluxe Mount Motorising Options?


Ian McCallum
 Share

Recommended Posts

I've installed and used the Skywatcher dual axis motor sets on a couple of mounts. They are fairly straightforward to fit and work fine for visual observing. Like this:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-eq5-enhanced-dual-axis-motor-drives.html

or the older version:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-dual-axis-motor-drive-eq5.html

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, John said:

I've installed and used the Skywatcher dual axis motor sets on a couple of mounts. They are fairly straightforward to fit and work fine for visual observing. Like this:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-eq5-enhanced-dual-axis-motor-drives.html

or the older version:

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-dual-axis-motor-drive-eq5.html

 

It looks like for a few extra quid, the kit with the enhanced controller would be the much better option!😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

It looks like for a few extra quid, the kit with the enhanced controller would be the much better option!😉

Both work fine. I think the enhanced one had a couple of advantages but, for me, it largely did the same job.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ian McCallum said:

Does the SynScan goto kit make the EQ5 mount suitable for imaging?

I image things with mine. 🙂 The GoTO helps with finding targets in the first place, and with accurate tracking.  It seems to be regarded as the absolute minimum for serious imaging.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had an eq5 with the enhanced controller motor drive upgrade. 

Decided on the DIY route of an AstroEQ with stepper motors. Hardest thing was finding someone to 3d-print the eq5 stepper brackets. Paid for most of it by selling the dual motor upgrade kit.II 've had that for a few years now and been very happy with it.

You do need to want to do diy thing though - don't expect it to be as easy as the pro upgrade kit... (there has to be some payback for saving all that cash, right 😉

If I was doing it today, the onstep diy got upgrade would be my first choice. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/12/2021 at 16:40, Ian McCallum said:

It looks like for a few extra quid, the kit with the enhanced controller would be the much better option!😉

Second that. I had this kit on eq3 mount and it was easy to use, tracking was spot on. No issue at all. I replaced the 6V battery holder for power bank.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ian McCallum said:

I've noticed in YouTube videos that the SynScan stepper motors should louder than the DC motors, whilst slewing. 

I know that the stepper motors are more precise and faster at slewing than the DC versions, but the louder noise puts me off. 

Thoughts? 🤔

I would use the term 'slewing' to refer to the 'goto' movement between targets a reasonable distance apart, and you only get that with a stepper motor, so the £350+ synscan upgrade (or diy alternatives). The DC motors of the dual axis kit are not able to move the mount at anything remotely close to the same speed, and are just used for 'adjustmemts' once you've manually rotated the telescope to approximately the right location... No wonder they are quieter 😉 (a 15 second slew on the SynScan would literally take minutes if you were to try it with the dual axis kit) 

I've probably read far more into your use of the term slewing (and applied my own personal definition), but as you were comparing stepper and DC motors thought it worth pointing out just in case it helps. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As above - the dual axis kit's top speed is 16x whereas the SynScan EQ5 can slew up to 800x.

In practice, with the dual axis kits, slewing is done manually and then the drive speeds are used for centering the target.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, adyj1 said:

I would use the term 'slewing' to refer to the 'goto' movement between targets a reasonable distance apart, and you only get that with a stepper motor, so the £350+ synscan upgrade (or diy alternatives). The DC motors of the dual axis kit are not able to move the mount at anything remotely close to the same speed, and are just used for 'adjustmemts' once you've manually rotated the telescope to approximately the right location... No wonder they are quieter 😉 (a 15 second slew on the SynScan would literally take minutes if you were to try it with the dual axis kit) 

I've probably read far more into your use of the term slewing (and applied my own personal definition), but as you were comparing stepper and DC motors thought it worth pointing out just in case it helps. 

I've probably used the wrong terminology. 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Ian McCallum said:

I was actually thinking of getting the enhance kit, but FLO is out of stock. RVO and a few other retailers have them in stock, but I prefer to deal with FLO. I may take a chance... 

I've had dealings with RVO (purchased my original EQ5 goto / 200P from them).  Can't fault them - their service is on par with FLO.

If you want full flexibility for future options the full goto kit will make dipping your toe into guided imaging a lot smoother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, malc-c said:

I've had dealings with RVO (purchased my original EQ5 goto / 200P from them).  Can't fault them - their service is on par with FLO.

If you want full flexibility for future options the full goto kit will make dipping your toe into guided imaging a lot smoother.

It's something that I want to do a bit more research on.  I don't like to commit to buy expensive things, until I'll really looked into the pros and cons.

Edited by Ian McCallum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/12/2021 at 20:16, Ian McCallum said:

Does the SynScan goto kit make the EQ5 mount suitable for imaging? 🤔

Depends what your imaging and if you want goto ?

I do just fine on lunar and planetary and even bright deepsky unguided with only one motor (RA) and the cheapest one too.

got two motors ( both used as RA one made a ticking noise, the other silent ) For 50 quid on here. Seems to track ok with reasonable polar alignment 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ian McCallum said:

It's something that I want to do a bit more research on.  I don't like to commit to buy expensive things, until I'll really looked into the pros and cons.

Actually Ian i am wondering for myself if i can use the other motor i have as the declination drive and just buy this handset. Could have started a new thread, but may have distracted away from this one. if you dont mind me exploring that question here. Dont want to derail the thread. Wondering if all i need to do is get the handset and fit the other motor that was being used as a second RA. 

Skywatcher EQ5 Enhanced Dual Axis Handset - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Actually Ian i am wondering for myself if i can use the other motor i have as the declination drive and just buy this handset. Could have started a new thread, but may have distracted away from this one. if you dont mind me exploring that question here. Dont want to derail the thread. Wondering if all i need to do is get the handset and fit the other motor that was being used as a second RA. 

Skywatcher EQ5 Enhanced Dual Axis Handset - Rother Valley Optics Ltd

Go right ahead.:thumbsup:  I like the idea of a goto type mount, as it would be a luxury for me, coming from a manual GEM or Dobsonian mount.  The big problem is compared to the Enhanced dual kit, it's a lot of money!😱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

Go right ahead.:thumbsup:  I like the idea of a goto type mount, as it would be a luxury for me, coming from a manual GEM or Dobsonian mount.  The big problem is compared to the Enhanced dual kit, it's a lot of money!😱

Yeah the price of the mount again isnt it. Ive had goto on a neq6. its how i was imaging uranus and neptune in a light polluted area. Its good to have for sure. Especially if you want to find lots of faint deepsky objects. 

Cheers on the other question. See if anyone knows. looking at  the two motors one looks different to me. mine are both RA 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Yeah the price of the mount again isnt it. Ive had goto on a neq6. its how i was imaging uranus and neptune in a light polluted area. Its good to have for sure. Especially if you want to find lots of faint deepsky objects. 

Cheers on the other question. See if anyone knows. looking at  the two motors one looks different to me. mine are both RA 

I'm still very tempted to just get the Enhance kit and I believe there's an interface to the laptop, if I want to do any guiding/imagine.  It'll probably be just dipping my toe in the water and nothing serious, as it's far too expensive a rabbit hole to plunge down!😱  After all, poor weather, hobby killer toy telescopes and astrophotography put many off the hobby!

Just checking with RVO if they have any of the Enhanced kits in stock...

Edited by Ian McCallum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Ian McCallum said:

I'm still very tempted to just get the Enhance kit and I believe there's an interface to the laptop, if I want to do any guiding/imagine.  It'll probably be just dipping my toe in the water and nothing serious, as it's far too expensive a rabbit hole to plunge down!😱  After all, poor weather, hobby killer toy telescopes and astrophotography put many off the hobby!

In my opinion Ian unless you really want to have quick easy access to lots of deepsky objects. Its likely not needed. if you live in a light polluted area visually most wont be that impressive. Yes easier to get targets for imaging. But if your just starting out. I would suggest getting your head around the imaging aspect with the brighter targets first. That dont need goto like the orion nebula or M57. M13 Ect. But its your money your call

Edited by neil phillips
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

In my opinion Ian unless you really want to have quick easy access to lots of deepsky objects. Its likely not needed. if you live in a light polluted area visually most wont be that impressive. Yes easier to get targets for imaging. But if your just starting out. I would suggest getting your head around the imaging aspect with the brighter targets first. That dont need goto like the orion nebula or M57. M13 Ect. But ts your money your call

I've just ordered the Enhance Dual Axis Motor Drive kit from RVO, as they have them in stock.

Edited by Ian McCallum
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Stu locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.