NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

I very much hope you've tested the east west heavy balance as my experience trying to make the smallest tripod for compactness taught me the tripod can't be too short or it'll fall over.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

I very much hope you've tested the east west heavy balance as my experience trying to make the smallest tripod for compactness taught me the tripod can't be too short or it'll fall over.

Good call 👍 it fell almost immediately and even worse when I stuck the counterweight on. Works fine on the heq5 tripod but not exactly the backpack arrangement I was after. I will give it a go on the larger tripod tonight, clouds willing, and if all is good I will have a mess around tomorrow to see if I can work out a plan C. Plan F involves a lump hammer 🤣 lets hope I don't get that far.

Posted (edited)

The smallest tripod I've used successfully is my Leofoto LS253, can carry the azgti AP setup for my Z61 at 6.5Kg. I however wouldn't use my HD mounts on such a tripod as they would fall over due to the legs not splitting wide enough, might be okay for a camera setup, not a scope.

Edited by Elp

Ok we are into plan C

Screenshot_20240511_180457_OneDrive2.thumb.jpg.5d504e9360de9fa0d7323519b3f4d0fb.jpg

Few mods to the camera mount and the zwo camera acts as a counterweight to the canon. Piece of 12mm stud in place of the standard counterweight bar and it all balances and drives with no issues.

Challenge I have or hopefully had is getting it to point in the right direction. I have found that using the asiair to connect to the mount via the eqmod cable, regardless of what type of mount I say it is, it could go anywhere. So I went back to the synscan app, connected and it went where it was supposed to go. Without switching it off, I then connected to it via the asiair, told asiair that it was connected to an eqmod mount and away it went. Is that how you guys do it? It does seem a trifle long winded.

Didn't notice it last time but it might help if your camera and GS are pointing toward the top right of your image... (Parallel to rotation axis of RA (or for alt az azgti mode what would be the azimuth axis)).

I used to start the Synscan app first and choose EQ mode, but have since found you can turn the air on, the mount after as long as you have the right mount option chosen under your mount settings and the connecting cable is plugged in between azgti and air. Just slew a little in the preview mode to check the mounts working, then tell it to go to home position under mount settings, if correct it should slew back to how you have it in your photo. If wrong, stop the home slew, manually declutch each axis and orient back to physical home position and tighten clutches again. Check the slew to home position again, if it's correct (or near enough) the mount won't, or will hardly move. If incorrect repeat the physical adjustment.

• Thanks 1

All sorted, many thanks for your help Elp 👍 Plan D gives me the dslr and gs pointing as would a telescope on the azgti, tried it with the synscan app, all good, switched to the asiair and again all good. With the seestar tripod legs fully extended there are no balance problems. 

Next step pa with the asiair when the clouds part😁

• Like 1