NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Unitron Altaz new lease of life with SW72ED.

Some time back i bought an old Unitron Altazimuth mount from a splendid fellow on SGL. The mount has laid around for quite a while until the right scope came along that would complement it and bring it to life again. Then a couple of days ago i recieved a phone call from yet another splendid fellow on SGL, offering me first chance at a SW 72mm Evostar ED at a giveaway price.  

Last night was my first session using the Unitron mount and first light through the scope, and what a joy it was on both counts. The mount, which used sprung loaded tangent arms was as solid a can be, with no tremor what so ever. I'd mounted the Unitron head on a wooden Vixen tripod, which was donated to the cause by the same splendid SGL fellow who sold me the scope. I've never really rated tangent arms as a way of driving a telescope, but after last night I've changed my mind. 

IMG_20211116_223547.thumb.jpg.736b1817c2fcaf6f4d3cc832eb85ac5a.jpgIMG_20211116_223525.thumb.jpg.c30d70115a06a1851035f85ccf359519.jpgIMG_20211116_223533.thumb.jpg.eebc0137ae7a08abf3628fc91c8aa8a2.jpg

There are numerous reviews on U-tube and elsewhere discussing the SW72ED as an imaging instrument, but little about it as a visual scope. The Moon last night was past full and high in the sky around midnight, so I carried the 72 with mount outside intending to look at the terminator. Orion caught my eye several degrees below the Moon, so before I completely destroyed my night vision looking at the Moon I aimed the scope at Orions sword. If i said the view was spectacular, you'd probably think I'm exaggerating just a tad, after all how spectacular can a puny 72mm scope be? Well to me the view was really quite spectacular, with the pin sharp star images and a field of view that swallowed the entire sword with M42 being the cherry on the cake. At the start I was using a 2" 26mm Hilux eyepiece, but the eyepiece that really brought the show to life was a 12.5mm Morpheus. I swept up to M45 but the sword was such a joy that I didn't want to stop admiring it, so I drifted back to it again and again after looking around the sky at various star fields. The experience rekindled the magic I felt when I first started out in the hobby over 40 years ago. Back then I'd set myself up with a 60mm refractor and a pair of 12X60mm binoculars with which I learned my way around the Messier objects and star fields. 

Looking at the Moon there was a small amount of CA around the limb but the view was crisp with razr sharp detail, and far better than my old 60mm Prinz Astrel 500, for which I paid a whopping £110 in 1980. The 72ED is a far more capable and serious scope, which in real terms probably doesn't cost any more than the 60mm 40 years ago. Anyone wanting a lightweight  grab & go scope could do a lot worse than buying one of these mighty atoms.  The thing I dislike about the 72mm is the screw on lens cap which has a very fine thread and is difficult to screw on in the dark without cross threading. Other than that the scope is a pure joy to use. 

22203655_2021-11-2113_13_50.thumb.jpg.89b28bd82ff4ee23cb6901b1d34c7f20.jpg346402286_2021-11-2113_12_09.thumb.jpg.ddcba85c08cceaad46c9f574e09ed8a8.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Some time back i bought an old Unitron Altazimuth mount from a splendid fellow on SGL. The mount has laid around for quite a while until the right scope came along that would complement it and bring it to life again. Then a couple of days ago i recieved a phone call from yet another splendid fellow on SGL, offering me first chance at a SW 72mm Evostar ED at a giveaway price.  

Last night was my first session using the Unitron mount and first light through the scope, and what a joy it was on both counts. The mount, which used sprung loaded tangent arms was as solid a can be, with no tremor what so ever. I'd mounted the Unitron head on a wooden Vixen tripod, which was donated to the cause by the same splendid SGL fellow who sold me the scope. I've never really rated tangent arms as a way of driving a telescope, but after last night I've changed my mind. 

IMG_20211116_223547.thumb.jpg.736b1817c2fcaf6f4d3cc832eb85ac5a.jpgIMG_20211116_223525.thumb.jpg.c30d70115a06a1851035f85ccf359519.jpgIMG_20211116_223533.thumb.jpg.eebc0137ae7a08abf3628fc91c8aa8a2.jpg

There are numerous reviews on U-tube and elsewhere discussing the SW72ED as an imaging instrument, but little about it as a visual scope. The Moon last night was past full and high in the sky around midnight, so I carried the 72 with mount outside intending to look at the terminator. Orion caught my eye several degrees below the Moon, so before I completely destroyed my night vision looking at the Moon I aimed the scope at Orions sword. If i said the view was spectacular, you'd probably think I'm exaggerating just a tad, after all how spectacular can a puny 72mm scope be? Well to me the view was really quite spectacular, with the pin sharp star images and a field of view that swallowed the entire sword with M42 being the cherry on the cake. At the start I was using a 2" 26mm Hilux eyepiece, but the eyepiece that really brought the show to life was a 12.5mm Morpheus. I swept up to M45 but the sword was such a joy that I didn't want to stop admiring it, so I drifted back to it again and again after looking around the sky at various star fields. The experience rekindled the magic I felt when I first started out in the hobby over 40 years ago. Back then I'd set myself up with a 60mm refractor and a pair of 12X60mm binoculars with which I learned my way around the Messier objects and star fields. 

Looking at the Moon there was a small amount of CA around the limb but the view was crisp with razr sharp detail, and far better than my old 60mm Prinz Astrel 500, for which I paid a whopping £110 in 1980. The 72ED is a far more capable and serious scope, which in real terms probably doesn't cost any more than the 60mm 40 years ago. Anyone wanting a lightweight  grab & go scope could do a lot worse than buying one of these mighty atoms.  The thing I dislike about the 72mm is the screw on lens cap which has a very fine thread and is difficult to screw on in the dark without cross threading. Other than that the scope is a pure joy to use. 

22203655_2021-11-2113_13_50.thumb.jpg.89b28bd82ff4ee23cb6901b1d34c7f20.jpg346402286_2021-11-2113_12_09.thumb.jpg.ddcba85c08cceaad46c9f574e09ed8a8.jpg

Fabulous report Mike, I'm delighted your setup is doing the business.  From one splendid SGL fellow to another 😊.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Those Unitron alt-az mounts are very well made and super smooth. I had a 75mm Unitron refractor on one back in the 80's. Why did I sell it!😪

The scope was f/13 or maybe f/15, I can't quite remember, but whatever it was it was long. The problem I had was reaching those slo-mo knobs on the mount. so I wrote a letter (anybody remember those?) to Henry Wildey and he very kindly made some long cables that fitted on the mount knobs with a grub screw. They worked great and cost about £7 I think.

Edited by Franklin
update
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Those Unitron alt-az mounts are very well made and super smooth. I had a 75mm Unitron refractor on one back in the 80's. Why did I sell it!😪

Wow! I'd have sold my granny for a 75mm Unitron back then, and I really loved my granny. I don't suppose you have any pic's of that scope floating about?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I don't suppose you have any pic's of that scope floating about?

Afraid not Mike. But it came in a wooden box and had 5 eyepieces and the Unitron turret to hold them and wait for it, I paid £125 for it from a guy in Doncaster who was selling it in the Freeads paper. I was about 18 at the time and did not know what I had. It got replaced with a Vixen SP102 about a year later. I do remember it being a very nice scope.

Unitron Moden140, found this online.

image.png.9ce867b244f0a631b257ab9017288b23.png

Edited by Franklin
spelling
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

The thing I dislike about the 72mm is the screw on lens cap which has a very fine thread and is difficult to screw on in the dark without cross threading.

I found that on mine as well. And also the black paint came off the threads which left them shiny and I also feared the flecks would end up on the glass. In the end I would pull the dew shield off the scope before unscrewing the cap and then replace back to front to avoid the shiny bits when observing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Franklin said:

Afraid not Mike. But it came in a wooden box and had 5 eyepieces and the Unitron turret to hold them and wait for it, I paid £125 for it from a guy in Doncaster who was selling it in the Freeads paper. I was about 18 at the time and did not know what I had. It got replaced with a Vixen SP102 about a year later. I do remember it being a very nice scope.

Unitron Moden140, found this online.

image.png.9ce867b244f0a631b257ab9017288b23.png

Imagine as a teenager finding that in your stocking on Christmas morning. Thanks for finding the image. 😊

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I think I’m going to regret asking this Mike, but I see your new frac and the DZ in that pic, so what’s in your obsy at the moment? 😬

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I think I’m going to regret asking this Mike, but I see your new frac and the DZ in that pic, so what’s in your obsy at the moment? 😬

I never leave the the scope in the observatory. Observatories are the worst place to keep telescopes. I have two EQ mounts, one in the house on which the Tak stands,  (something to admire when its raining), and the other permanently mounted on a pier in the obs. I just carry the DZ out when I want to play in the obs, or mount it on a Teegul/Lapides altazimuth when playing away. 😊

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I never leave the the scope in the observatory. Observatories are the worst place to keep telescopes. I have two EQ mounts, one in the house on which the Tak stands,  (something to admire when its raining), and the other permanently mounted on a pier in the obs. I just carry the DZ out when I want to play in the obs, or mount it on a Teegul/Lapides altazimuth when playing away. 😊

Phew that’s alright then Mike: situation normal 👍🏻
I thought you’d maybe got a set of shaving mirrors installed in the obsy again 😬

• Haha 2

These little 72mm ED fracs are very capable so I’m sure you will have a lot of fun with it Mike. I had a TS 72mm which I enjoyed a lot, so portable.

The Unitron AltAz mounts are beautifully engineered, and very smooth. I have my Telementor on mine which is a bit on the heavy side for it but it still works very well at lower altitudes.

19B416C4-4F4B-4A08-BC23-083F82C1FD63.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stu said:

These little 72mm ED fracs are very capable so I’m sure you will have a lot of fun with it Mike. I had a TS 72mm which I enjoyed a lot, so portable.

The Unitron AltAz mounts are beautifully engineered, and very smooth. I have my Telementor on mine which is a bit on the heavy side for it but it still works very well at lower altitudes.

19B416C4-4F4B-4A08-BC23-083F82C1FD63.jpeg

Your Telementor looks great on the Unitron mount Stu. It would look the part in the corner of a study. 😊

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Your Telementor looks great on the Unitron mount Stu. It would look the part in the corner of a study. 😊

Splendid idea. Now why didn’t I think of that? 🤪🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, paulastro said:

Perhaps because you haven't got planning permission and you're not allowed to Stu? 😊

Actually Paul, the picture is of my Telementor, on the Unitron AltAz, you guessed it……standing in the corner of my study! 🤣🤣🤣

It’s the only room In the house where I can do as I please and can tell my dear lady to mind her own business! 🤣. It’s a long way from being beautiful, the carpet needs to go, lampshade… 😱, and has two pieces of tatty furniture inherited from the previous owners, but it’s mine! 👍

It cost me a ‘Walk-in wardrobe’ but was worth it 😉

56ECCF6C-7563-402D-94E7-1F268990F3C6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

Actually Paul, the picture is of my Telementor, on the Unitron AltAz, you guessed it……standing in the corner of my study! 🤣🤣🤣

It’s the only room In the house where I can do as I please and can tell my dear lady to mind her own business! 🤣. It’s a long way from being beautiful, the carpet needs to go, lampshade… 😱, and has two pieces of tatty furniture inherited from the previous owners, but it’s mine! 👍

That's ok then Stu, I was concerned Mrs Stu might be taking advantage of your good nature 😊.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Snap!...I got the spare room when my daughter moved out, and it's all mine 😈

• Like 1

3 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Hi Mike, that's a splendid setup, and as one splendid chap to another, a splendid mount on which to sit your splendid tripod and splendid scope.. in short, simply splendid!!😋🤭😂

Dave

Thanks Dave. I think it was worth waiting until a worthy scope came along to sit atop of such a lovely classic mount. I would have liked a Unitron but beggars can't be choosers, and the 72mm is probably a better scope in reality. I'm happy you're happy that your mount has finally found a new lease of life. 😊

• Like 2

I've just had another session with the 72mm but this time i used a Tak prism and an old but immaculate 35mm Ultima.  It's a patch made if not in heaven, then for heaven. Glorious peppered star fields to die for.  Turning to the Moon, I decided to use my Vixen High Resolution eyepieces. They were great, displaying razor sharp views even with the 1.6mm giving ~263X. Testement really to the scopes good optics. 😊