SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Favourite doubles

I've assumed that I was seeing the mag 2.95 and 5.40 stars. The split can be an odd one to get though - when I first observed it I was seeing what looked like a thickening in the 1st diffraction ring around the brighter star - rather like a thin snake which has swallowed a tennis ball !. It did seem to be at about the correct position angle at that time. As I observed it more often the stellar nature of this "lump" became clearer / better defined - I guess my eye was getting more practiced ?. My 130mm refractor does a really good job on this one but, now I know what to look for, I can do it with the 100mm as well, when the seeing is decent.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I suspect it's easier in a quality refractor v a lesser one due to the companion to easily being lost in the diffraction ring with the latter. I found it easy with the C9.25, but then with a larger scope the main diffraction ring is a little closer in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

I've assumed that I was seeing the mag 2.95 and 5.40 stars. The split can be an odd one to get though - when I first observed it I was seeing what looked like a thickening in the 1st diffraction ring around the brighter star - rather like a thin snake which has swallowed a tennis ball !. It did seem to be at about the correct position angle at that time. As I observed it more often the stellar nature of this "lump" became clearer / better defined - I guess my eye was getting more practiced ?. My 130mm refractor does a really good job on this one but, now I know what to look for, I can do it with the 100mm as well, when the seeing is decent.

Well that's exactly what my notes say too- a bright spot in the first diffraction ring of the main star. I'm happy.

• Like 2

Just now, Zermelo said:

Well that's exactly what my notes say too- a bright spot in the first diffraction ring of the main star. I'm happy.

Nice one sir! As said, it’s knowing what you are looking at, and what to look for which really help. Bet it will be fairly obvious next time you get it in decent seeing.

I found this old thread of mine from when I first saw it. In the 8” f8 the secondary falls outside the first diffraction ring so it’s a different view. Amusingly reading back through other posts of mine I can’t seem to recall if I saw it first in the Mewlon 210 or 8” f8. Seems it was the 8” after all.

Interestingly it looked better resolved in my Heritage 150p (showing as two disks in moments of better seeing), vs my lovely fluorite doublets (FC100DC and Vixen FL102S) which show it like the sketch posted earlier. Rather galling, but just shows what these supposedly entry level scopes are capable of.

• Like 1

Castor was a first for me recently, a really nice double with textbook diffraction rings - being very similar in mag might have something to do with how it appears.

Rigel is a favourite, I really love a faint companion. Can’t beat viewing the double double either.

Probably the binary that draws me back at every opportunity is Antares. Such a difficult split due to its low altitude and high mag primary, there have been moments where I have been sure I have viewed the secondary but it’s always very fleeting. Can’t wait for it to come back around next year.

• Like 2

Alberio, one night in particular under excellent seeing a few weeks back, Alberio was simply beautiful against a black as black sky.  Sometimes this double serves to remind me why I love observing so much.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 2

Got a couple here that I will be taking a look at that I must have missed. Delta Cephei that was mentioned earlier is actually one I observe regularly too. 

I've also liked pointing my scope over at the constellation Leo when I get a few hours as there are a few nice ones there too

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MylesGibson said:

...I've also liked pointing my scope over at the constellation Leo when I get a few hours as there are a few nice ones there too

Algieba (Gamma Leonis) was the very 1st double star that I observed with a scope. 40 or so years ago with my Tasco 60mm refractor. I was very thrilled to see those two golden spots of light so close together :smiley:

Iota Leonis is a tight and unequal brightness pair I seem to recall. Quite challenging.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, John said:

Algieba (Gamma Leonis) was the very 1st double star that I observed with a scope. 40 or so years ago with my Tasco 60mm refractor. I was very thrilled to see those two golden spots of light so close together :smiley:

Iota Leonis is a tight and unequal brightness pair I seem to recall. Quite challenging.

Yes, both of these are great doubles. I'll have to dig out my notes on Leo sometime if I can find them!

• Like 1

My first double was Castor. Back in the '70s I had a Prinz 550 60mm and just pointed it at Castor because it was bright. Strangely, even though it's a white pair, I keep going back to it.

Same with ε Lyrae. I try and look as often as possible.

Don't ask me what the fascination is, I don't have an answer!

• Like 3

On 15/11/2021 at 16:46, Mr Spock said:

Lack of posting - there just isn't enough activity to warrant separate forums. So, everyone, get posting :tongue2:

Right, you're on. I do quite a bit of VS work and I will try to post more.

Not in this thread, though, as I don't observe Algol or Beta Lyrae, and exoplanetary transits, though double or multiple objects, only have one star.  😉

Any one interested in a thread on extragalactic variables?