NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SkySafari Pro 7

IB20

Do you have "Use True North" enabled?  And allow compass access to your location?  (These two options are used to correct magnetic north to true north based on your current location).
And is your phone in a case with a magnetic clasp?  If so try it out of the case.

33 minutes ago, globular said:

Do you have "Use True North" enabled?  And allow compass access to your location?  (These two options are used to correct magnetic north to true north based on your current location).
And is your phone in a case with a magnetic clasp?  If so try it out of the case.

Yep, still out by a bit. Have just found this on the SkySafari website…

A note on accuracy: the solid-state compass built into most mobile devices is not very accurate, and easily affected by interference. It can easily be wrong by ten degrees or more. The compass may be useful for locating bright objects in a general part of the sky, but it's certainly not accurate enough to point a telescope.

12 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Yep, still out by a bit. Have just found this on the SkySafari website…

A note on accuracy: the solid-state compass built into most mobile devices is not very accurate, and easily affected by interference. It can easily be wrong by ten degrees or more. The compass may be useful for locating bright objects in a general part of the sky, but it's certainly not accurate enough to point a telescope.

which is why it would be really useful to be able to calibrate SkySafari to your phone.  They admit there can be a problem but offer no way to fix it 🤷‍♂️. Mine’s an iphone 8- will look at calibrating- i’ve done the waving around in figure 8 but it doesn’t really help.

Mark

55 minutes ago, globular said:

Hi Glob, where is the “use true north” setting?

Sky Safari 7 is not yet available on a desktop OS. Does anyone know if Sky Safari 6 pro will sync with Sky Safari 7 pro at all? I like to prep on the desktop (6) and then sync to mobile (7) for use, wondered if this is possible, cannot think why not.

With the Nexus DSC it acts as a wide hotspot the phones connects too. Is there any way for the Nexus to connect to a network? This would mean when sky safari is connected to the Nexus the mobile device would not have to use cellular to access the internet. 

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

Just been comparing the features of SkySafari 7 to Luminos 9.9 and not a lot of difference. 7 has social star gazing but not interested in that at all so at the moment not seeing any reason to buy 7. Will all depend if Luminos does work with the AZ100.

Looks like they have copied a number of the fearures in Luminos. 🤔

There is a new version of Luminous in the works. It's very good. Cannot remember if it supports the Nexus DSC......

21 minutes ago, markse68 said:

which is why it would be really useful to be able to calibrate SkySafari to your phone.  They admit there can be a problem but offer no way to fix it 🤷‍♂️. Mine’s an iphone 8- will look at calibrating- i’ve done the waving around in figure 8 but it doesn’t really help.

Mark

I’m not sure you can save the AR once it you have lined up the overlay, I think it reverts back to the compass settings? Perhaps the best way to do it might be to turn the compass off and change the location by a few degrees?

On 05/11/2021 at 22:07, JeremyS said:

I got an alert this morning about this 50% upgrade offer.

It does seems pricey. I’ve not investigated what I get extra from the money.

Besides the changes they made for this edition, one day you will probably stop getting updates on SS 6, as usually happens with ‘old’ apps. If you take the plunge later, it will probably be more expensive. 

i’ve only browsed around in it for a bit, setting it up to the way i’m used to, takes a bit of searching though, but i did run into a couple of new features that look handy while observing or creating lists. 

remember to save your settings into your livesky account! 

15 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Another question- does ss7 display Rigel b? Reason i ask is ss6 doesn’t and it would be really useful for gauging where to look for the pup (which is displayed) Likewise does Luminos show both the pup and Rigel b?

Mark

Looks like the answer to this is no unfortunately, neither does it manage Mizar b which I was hopeful it would. From what I can see, Luminos doesn’t do either of these either.

6A6A1064-1270-4EEC-9E1E-9D3950E394EE.png

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 18:13, Deadlake said:

Sky Safari 7 is not yet available on a desktop OS. Does anyone know if Sky Safari 6 pro will sync with Sky Safari 7 pro at all? I like to prep on the desktop (6) and then sync to mobile (7) for use, wondered if this is possible, cannot think why not

I had the exact same quandary as you, I plan all my sessions and record all observing on Mac with 6 plus to take outside on my phone, also 6 plus.

I couldn’t find the answer anywhere to your (and my) question so I just crossed my fingers and took the plunge paying for 7 Pro 🤞

No need to worry, as soon as you sign in to LiveSky everything syncs seamlessly and instantly, everything transfers over including sessions, observations, lists and equipment and…….it looks miles better!! 👍

I haven’t yet created a plan on Mac to take out on my phone but it should work perfectly 

• Like 3

I found a bug with SkySafari 7 Pro (and presumably the other versions) which means you can’t select hours, minutes or seconds on the Time display to choose what time interval it steps through when you advance or step back.

It works for days, months and years, just not for the time intervals. This will apparently be fixed in a future upgrade, but the work around for the moment is to select 12 hour clock, not 24 hour, which is done in the Settings, Formats menu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I found a bug with SkySafari 7 Pro (and presumably the other versions) which means you can’t select hours, minutes or seconds on the Time display to choose what time interval it steps through when you advance or step back.

It works for days, months and years, just not for the time intervals. This will apparently be fixed in a future upgrade, but the work around for the moment is to select 12 hour clock, not 24 hour, which is done in the Settings, Formats menu.

I use the interval box rather than the time and date display, it’s much easier and less likely to fat finger.

Just now, IB20 said:

I use the interval box rather than the time and date display, it’s much easier and less likely to fat finger.

That’s works too, just slower so it’s good there is a direct way of doing it still.

I happened upon another nice little feature today. Select an object then long tap on it (ie select then tap and hold) and it displays a circular array of shortcuts to things like measurement, observing lists, observing records, object centring etc. quite handy.

164367D9-707D-4FF4-ACB2-3A9A4C1E6002.png

• Like 1

Does anyone know if V7 has fixed the annoyance that there's no easy way to differentiate objects that you've previously observed from those that you haven't? (the ticks against objects in the observing lists mean that you have observed those objects as part of that observing list, so the absence of a tick doesn't mean that you've not observed it previously, from a different list)

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

Does anyone know if V7 has fixed the annoyance that there's no easy way to differentiate objects that you've previously observed from those that you haven't? (the ticks against objects in the observing lists mean that you have observed those objects as part of that observing list, so the absence of a tick doesn't mean that you've not observed it previously, from a different list)

Yes, on the top of each (note: EACH) list are three possibilities: show all, show observed, show unobserved. 
F75D2318-36F1-4C89-97BA-BFB7438705A6.thumb.png.4a4c87c270b48c29cbc31d7ef368ad12.png