Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nocturne imaging app

Stu

I discovered this app via a recommendation on a FB group and downloaded it yesterday. It is from Unistellar, them of eVscope 2 fame, and I guess it uses some of the same algorithms. It is only available for iOS currently but it looks like Android is on its way.

It seems very simple to use. Just mount the smartphone somewhere stable; I used a lightweight tripod with ball head and smartphone holder last night, then position it as you want and press the shutter. It then goes through a configuration which I think determines the exposure settings, then off it goes. It sets its own exposure time and comes back with the image once done, simples.

I took a few shots last night, seeing if I could get the Milky Way at all. Conditions were a bit mixed, basically clear but not great transparency. The MW was visible to the naked eye but not striking by any means.

These are all unprocessed, as they came out of the app. MW is just about there in a few of them. I’m generally quite impressed by it, certainly simple to use and seems to control background LP well for a long exposure (up to around 5 mins depending one where I was pointing)

Link here:

https://unistellaroptics.com/nocturneapp/

Do post up any results you get with it. I imagine it could be great under a very dark sky. I’ve no idea if it works through a scope, probably not but I might give it a try when I get the tracking system in the AZ100 to test.

Oh, and I ran some through nova.astrometry.net too just for kicks 😉. I can see M45, M31, plus M38, 37 and 36 (with careful comparison on SkySafari, 37 and 36 look stellar) the DC and probably others too.

B7080296-44C9-4493-98C8-CE29B340FA46.jpeg

794E604E-14B8-4B2F-A5D8-91049E7AED63.jpeg

50BED180-C50A-4D94-915B-299CE9BDD74D.jpeg

6C5FDCD4-BD91-4CC1-B8CE-B5494DB7B6EB.jpeg

E403DA5D-EC86-4952-8C51-E6AB6589E8C1.jpeg

D86FE354-9772-4B90-9FE7-8ED54E61D874.jpeg

6A5FC67E-EA70-42CF-B6D3-DDD781A59A0F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very nice. I wonder if it does stacking in the same way as the Pixel astrophotographyone. I have been quite impressed with the Pixel astrophotography and it will be interesting to compare this app when it comes out on Android.

3 minutes ago, Ludd said:

A strange effect using it just now

0CF7B23F-ACFA-41E3-99CC-F90ED7F32EC1.jpeg

Was that handheld? Not sure what effect having artificial light in the image makes either but yes, it does look strange.

Those images look great @Stu, I’ve just downloaded it so will have a play around when I get some suitable conditions - which I haven’t had for about the last fortnight 😒.

Makes total sense that Unistellar would get into this kind of market, especially with the newer cameras in the latest iPhones and Samsungs etc.

As soon as @Stu mentioned this app I downloaded it - thanks for that. I do think that an app like this, or some addition to the native iOS camera app, is they way forward. There must be a lot of untapped potential in smartphones and their cameras for this kind of thing.

I had a quick go on Orion with Nocturne last week in my light polluted Bortle 7-8 sky. That’s the first picture. It seems to deal with light pollution well. The second is with my iPhone 12 native camera app using a 30 sec “exposure”. The light pollution is obvious plus (not surprisingly) there’s some star trailing. And I know that when I’ve used the native iOS app in Night Mode in a truly dark sky the background is almost dark. The 3rd picture is the native iOS shot with some quick and dirty editing.

Since then things have been rather cloudy 😕

PS - the Nocturne shot looks more realistic &  natural.

752A3487-0C30-4663-8FF3-79926559EF75.jpeg

890AF79D-25B7-457C-A8A6-9CFEA0989721.jpeg

9E40046D-9EB2-48BF-B379-408048B0F0A1.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I downloaded Nocturne yesterday, and it was clear this evening so gave it a go. Pointed up towards Cygnus region and was really pleased with result. Taken with an SE2 so no night mode. This phone has a small camera sensor, so I wonder if you have a larger sensor it would presumable let in more light and show more stars? Anyway thanks for the link Stu.

nocturne1.JPG