Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have seen it at last

Well I know it's past it's best but it's the first chance I've had.

Very patchy cloud and pretty low as well but through it I saw Lulin.

About 4 degree's above Alpha Leo in roughly the 2 o'clock position. I must admit I was a disapointed, I have never observed a comet before so had nothing to compare it to, but I expected to see a bright star like object with a long tail. In reality I saw a blue smudge and a very hazy longish looking tail.

But at least I've seen it.

From a dark site it would have looked amazing.

Managed a look through my 8x30 Binos last Wed.(25/02/09) and found it , better view last night (01/03/09) with clear sky and used the 5ins. refractor with 2ins 40mm eyepiece (x30). Difficult to find as it is 6th mag or less but used the binos to make initial find. Could see it had moved after nearly an hour of observing. Oval misty patch with hint of a faint tail. Not as interesting as last years comet outburst.

I too got to see it for the first time last night in my 8" dob. In the 17t4 it looked pretty good but my wife was less than impressed...

I saw a very faint central 'star' and the tail was a green smudge slightly elongated on one side.

Not quite what I was expecting but very pleasing nonetheless :lol:

I've looked at the comet in my 15x70 binoculars, my ED80, and my 8" newt. I could see the same detail in all three instruments, but I liked the 15x70 view the best. I think it really needs a super wide field to be appreciated - the tail is extremely long - it stretches away from the core, getting ever fainter that it's difficult to work out where it stops. If you stretch that over a wide angle eyepiece at high power, it can be more difficult to discern than the low power of binos. COuldn't discern any colour though.

I think it's a great looking object and it's nice to see its progression.

Andrew

I was pleased I managed to find it last night, but it was very faint - as others have described. Bright centre and smudge with only the vaguest hint of a tail.

Sky at Night magazine says it's visible with the naked eye.

Well, their eyes are a lot better than mine....

I was pleased I managed to find it last night, but it was very faint - as others have described. Bright centre and smudge with only the vaguest hint of a tail.

Sky at Night magazine says it's visible with the naked eye.

Well, their eyes are a lot better than mine....

Well done Jarndyce as you say it's not a naked eye target thats for sure.

Glad you bagged it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived