Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Don't Laugh at my Jupiter ;)

kirkster501

I think this is as good as it's going to get with a 140mm refractor and Jupiter as low as it is in the UK.  I need to bring my ADC into play next time and try with the C925.

This is 40000 frames with a bit of a sharpen in Registax and a saturation boost in Photoshop.

1112201681_AfterRegistax_Photoshop.jpg.4b25ab5dff48c03bcd7558a2c468ea53.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

I think this is as good as it's going to get with a 140mm refractor and Jupiter as low as it is in the UK.  I need to bring my ADC into play next time and try with the C925.

This is 40000 frames with a bit of a sharpen in Registax and a saturation boost in Photoshop.

That is excellent result.

Only objection would be atmospheric dispersion. You can try to fix a bit of it using Registax and align RGB channels, but better way to do it is ADC of course.

Here is image after aligning RGB channels in Registax:

image.png.fdfd13d05615e61daf196136618ab674.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Wow, you've pulled more detail out Vlaiv.  Did you just hit the align RGB channels button?  That's all you did?

Yes - just place estimator box over planet and hit that button and it will align channels as part of sharpening/processing workflow (I took your image and set all wavelets to 0 to avoid additional image sharpening and only aligned channels - but it is best to do it on 16 bit "raw" image as part of processing).

• Like 2

Had a go with my C925, at native. The seeing was dreadful and Jupiter was boiling and dancing around like a dice in a shaker at the C925's focal length.  This is 10% of 90000 frames at native focal length (no powermate/barlow since the seeing would not tolerate it).  With my FoV I was capturing about 350 frames per second.  I think my collimation could use a slight tweak too.

So I focused and captured the frames into a .ser.  Then moved over to Registax, did a bit of sharpening and balanced the RGB and realigned RGB as vlaiv taught me.  I have reigned back from over saturating the image as I think I did in the previous versions.  This image is not going to win any prizes and is worse than my previous effort with the TEC140 but that doesn't matter to me at this stage, it's about learning the C925/SCT and planetary imaging.  Sharing as part of my ongoing learning.

After_Registax.jpg.edb3a4c65baa959be9d05210dbfa0ec1.jpg

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 4

Interesting topic, and some really useful info here...

I managed to get the image below of Jupiter recently but found focus a real pain... more luck than judgement.

Keeping it on the sensor is also a phaff but just about doable when I take some time to get Goto mount setup properly-ish

BUT now i have a DIY motorised focuser MOD I'm hoping for better things..

2058733064_JupiterBESTImage.png.6e2debf7723187954a88f7c56cc6d1de.png

Edited by Mach13
  • Like 1

It's no laughing matter, lol! Nice images. You'll only get better and better as you learn and put in the work. I love planetary imaging and experimenting with techniques. Take advantage of every opportunity and don't be afraid to ask questions or try something new.

Best wishes!

Reggie🚀