NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heads up - shadow of Callisto transiting GRS

dweller25

Some clouds here but currently Jupiter, the Moon and Saturn showing well. Contrast is really excellent. Actual seeing is a little "swimmy".

Hope enough clear patches are around later to show the Callisto shadow / GRS conjunction :smiley:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, John said:

Some clouds here but currently Jupiter, the Moon and Saturn showing well. Contrast is really excellent. Actual seeing is a little "swimmy".

Hope enough clear patches are around later to show the Callisto shadow / GRS conjunction :smiley:

Good luck John. Should be a nice one to see if you can find a clear patch.

Apparently Callisto was transiting earlier, which it doesn’t often do. I’ve seen it once or twice before and it appears dark, almost like a shadow so it’s a shame to have missed this one.

• Like 2

I managed the last 30 minutes of the Callisto transit before the first cloud bank arrived. Left the scope out on the off chance of it clearing, went back out an hour later and got some of the best views of Jupiter and Saturn I've had for a while. More cloud now so giving my back a rest with a large medicinal one. 🥃

• Like 2

it looks huge!

Strange large scale shimmering yet pretty clear for detail seeing here in London and again an unforecast pretty clear night :)

Thanks for the heads up David- would have missed this :)

Mark

Edited by markse68
  • Like 4

I've got some thin clouds here but Jupiter is showing quite well through them. Callisto's shadow is properly on the disk now and, as the prediction said, pretty much right on the Great Red Spot. Looks like the pupil in a giant eye !

GRS colour is a bit subdued due to the thin clouds. Nice sight all the same :smiley:

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Still looking good here. Lots of cloud but, amazingly, a clear patch of sky where Jupiter is !

The sharply etched moon shadow emphasises the rather diffuse nature of the features on Jupiter's visible surface which look soft and subtle compared with the stark black shadow.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

Managed to see the first 30min but seeing was through mist/thin cloud so I could not make the GRS very well. The black shadow looked great and my wife was also amazed with the seeing. Completely clouded over now.

• Like 3

Very similar  here in Suffolk named to see from about midnight to 00:30AM with cloud on and off and then rolled in.

Used my little Tak FS60 with c2x barlow and Brandon 12mm, 8mm and Tak LE 7.5mm , shadow of Callisto nicely  etched  as a sharp full stop on the disk of Jupiter.

Thanks for the tip.

John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John said:

Oh dear ! - clouded out now :rolleyes2:

It was very nice while it lasted though and many thanks to David for the "heads up" on this event :icon_salut:

I got another "bite" at this about half an hour ago when the sky cleared again.

Fortunately the Tak 100 needs practically no cool down time so I could get it straight out and begin viewing without delay.

I only got about 15 minutes but by then Callisto's shadow had been overtaken by the Great Red Spot and was lying just "behind" it on the planets disk.

The "goldilocks" magnification on Jupiter for me tonight was 180x which the Pentax XW 5mm delivered admirably.

• Like 4