Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adjusting tilt on a QHY 268M

tooth_dr

My Astro cupboard was full of empty boxes that I keep for the more expensive items in case I sell on, and I am clearing them out and keeping in loft to free up some space.
One of them was the QHY268M box and before I put it up in the loft, but just went through it to see if there was anything in it I needed and look what I found ----- a small bag of M2.5 x 5mm grub screws, 6 of them with an allen key.
IMG_20211001_142418.thumb.jpg.1499d04db79377a899c61a40f83dc7fc.jpg

Steve

10 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Regards the desiccant tube - I use mine but I live in a damp humid part of the world, you might not need it. 

Through Summer and Spring it seems to have been okay but Yorkshire probably rivals Ireland in Winter so maybe worth putting it on, what do you put in the tube ?

Steve

@teoria_del_big_bang thanks for posting your picture above. It made me go and have a look in my box, and sure enough, mine also has the same grub screws 😃

20211001_150018.thumb.jpg.0dacf235e109d58049db4691fcf8d185.jpg

Qhy clearly think it should be possible to adjust the central screws with a Phillips head screwdriver. I'm not using a filter wheel, just a simple filter drawer, and it looks like I can access the existing screws, even without breaking down the optical train. I'll obviously be removing it anyway, to make the adjustments, so Adam @tooth_dr is there any real need to replace the screws with Allen key ones?

20211001_145946.thumb.jpg.0898ca424ebf0be9ac3eb6cbb7acb3b3.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, teoria_del_big_bang said:

Through Summer and Spring it seems to have been okay but Yorkshire probably rivals Ireland in Winter so maybe worth putting it on, what do you put in the tube ?

Steve

You fill it with the orange dessicant beads you should have also received. Then you undo a screw on the side of the camera and screw the chamber on. 

If you connect to Qhy's capture program (I forget what it's called) and bring up the graph that shows the temperature, there is also a gauge showing the Relative Humidity (RH). Qhy say this should be kept close to 30% ish. Mine was as high as 60% but after 2 to 3 days in a flight case with the dessicant tube attached, it dropped back down to about 35%. Note, it will increase during imaging, but you want it to drop back down again when idle. So worth checking up on it every now and then just to keep an eye on it.

Edited by Xiga
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Xiga said:

@teoria_del_big_bang thanks for posting your picture above. It made me go and have a look in my box, and sure enough, mine also has the same grub screws 😃

20211001_150018.thumb.jpg.0dacf235e109d58049db4691fcf8d185.jpg

Qhy clearly think it should be possible to adjust the central screws with a Phillips head screwdriver. I'm not using a filter wheel, just a simple filter drawer, and it looks like I can access the existing screws, even without breaking down the optical train. I'll obviously be removing it anyway, to make the adjustments, so Adam @tooth_dr is there any real need to replace the screws with Allen key ones?

20211001_145946.thumb.jpg.0898ca424ebf0be9ac3eb6cbb7acb3b3.jpg

It isn’t possible for me to access the screws with a screwdriver, only via an Allen key, so I had to change.  Otherwise I just find them cheap looking 🙈

24CD95D6-2EEC-46DE-973D-8447E7723FCE.jpeg

1CB8A43B-799B-49A0-9042-5EA9AE27C741.jpeg

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

It isn’t possible for me to access the screws with a screwdriver, only via an Allen key, so I had to change.  Otherwise I just find them cheap looking 🙈

Off topic but I had the same dilemma with my SX filterwheel. Decided to change the screws on the back plate with M2.5 cap head bolts. Much tidier and professional looking. Also much easier to remove.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...
On 13/09/2021 at 17:28, teoria_del_big_bang said:

On the mono version it is not a tilt correction plate, only on the colour version.

That is my understanding anyway, and no idea why the colour version should have it and the mono not apart from the tilt plate is thicker and probably would mean as it is further from the FW you would not get away with using 36mm filters and need the 2" ones and QHY wanted to be able to claim it would be okay with the 26mm filters.

Thats my best guess anyway - I could be wrong (I often am - certainly according to my wife and kids 🙂 )

Steve

Hi Steve, 

I know this thread is old, but can I ask where is the tilt adjustment on the OSC version, as I have that and I don’t see it, there is rotation adjustment but not tilt….🤔🤔

cheers

2 hours ago, scotty38 said:

@Stuart1971 don't think you get the same adapter on the colour version.

Well, there is no tilt adapter on either version, AFAIK, (without sorting yourself as @tooth_dr has done)  but @teoria_del_big_bang said that the OSC came with one earlier in the thread….so was just curious where that info came from, or if I am missing something….

12 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Looks to me like he has used the standard adapter that comes with the mono camera.

Yes, I get that, but he had to add his own screws, this is not my issue, @teoria_del_big_bang said that “the mono camera does not come with the same tilt adjuster adapter as the OSC” so where is the tilt adjuster on the OSC…??  or has he got that completely wrong…??

2 hours ago, tomato said:

I could be doing this wrong but I use the 3 screw wedge adapter on the OSC version to adjust tilt. It’s a bit agricultural but it works.

Yes, I wondered about that, but personally I don’t like that idea….I really can’t see how it would work properly….🤔

Edited by Stuart1971