SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pitch Black

jetstream

The title not only describes some nebula I saw but also the skies.

The sky cleared this evening nicely, dead calm, not one wave on the lake where I set the VX10 up. The lower Milky Way was reflecting off the calm water as well as piles of stars which made a surreal setting to observe in.

The SQM -L registered 21.93 (multiple times) once warmed up with a couple of 22's in there, but we'll discount those as I dont believe it. Centered on the Milky Way the SQM gave 21.7. the typical quarter mag brightness difference. Brighter stars were visible to the tree line.

Off to the Swan nebula. Easily visible no filter, the TV OIII was enlisted to bring more out. The 20mm APM 100 gave a nice bright view with the lower loop showing. The 18ES 82 really brought the lower loop out but at the expense other nebulosity. The Lagoon, what can I say- extremely bright no filter and nicely cut up in the interior with. I mentioned the VX10 was a high contrast scope so...

M24. A true favourite and the jet black dark nebula here never disappoint, what an object. Inspired I went over to Tarazed and Barnards E nebula- jet black and I mean black, with the E showing vividly. Here both EPs worked well, maybe the nod to the 20mm APM. I love these dark nebula.

Well the Pillars of Creation were calling in the Eagle nebula... yeah theyre still calling- my bigger scopes lol! I did get hints of small indents in the "bottom" of the nebula (yes, newt orientation) but the view was just not like in the other dobs. I'll call it a swing and a miss with a couple of features recorded. I also wanted to try @Nyctimene's PN challenge mentioned in an earlier thread, but a strategic mistake placed me in the trees when moving the scope in the squares direction. Next time.

So much more observed but I wont bore everyone with it.

The wife and I went over to the dock for a hour or so just looking at the MW and its reflection off the water. Near neighbours were out with a bonfire, with others across the lake a kilometer away, chatting, most likely enjoying this great night too. Sound really carries across calm water. What a night.

• Like 18

A perfect serene scene Gerry vividly portrayed. I actually had a dream last night that we'd moved to a remote place on higher ground, across the road, there was a hilly ridge to the south with a dusting of snow along the top and I explored the back yard for the best place to locate the telescope and I knew that I would see the Milky Way from the back garden. Forgotten about until I read your report.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Sounds like a great place to view from. Out of curiosity where were you viewing from approximately? 👍🏻

We live in NW Ontario, approx 30 miles from Quetico as the crow flies on a lake that our indiginous neighbors call gojiji-zaaga'igan. The population density is .1 person/km, eventhough right at the small local cabin spots will be a bit higher.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unorganized_Rainy_River_District

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, jetstream said:

… Near neighbours were out with a bonfire, with others across the lake a kilometer away, chatting, most likely enjoying this great night too. Sound really carries across calm water. What a night.

Many years ago when I was a teenager, some cousins and I were crossing a lake in Finland (I am half Finnish) in a little boat with a small outboard engine, to collect some wild strawberries from a secret glade on a small island full of them. We were shouting at each other to make ourselves heard over the engine noise. Many people around the edges of the lake later reported hearing every word of our conversation quite clearly, but not the engine!

Magnus

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Magenta said:

Many years ago when I was a teenager, some cousins and I were crossing a lake in Finland (I am half Finnish) in a little boat with a small outboard engine, to collect some wild strawberries from a secret glade on a small island full of them. We were shouting at each other to make ourselves heard over the engine noise. Many people around the edges of the lake later reported hearing every word of our conversation quite clearly, but not the engine!

Magnus

Yes, sound carries so well over the lake- last night my German Shepherd was left in the house as I went down to observe.He is very keen about his surroundings and noises. He was OK as I set up as he knows my sounds etc. As I sat quietly observing I went for another eyepiece- the sound was not typical for him coming from the lake obs.

He started growling and barking- hes very very loud- and I said "Nico" its me! lol! He stopped the commotion. As he was doing his thing a flashlight lit up across the bay about 1km, waving it around all over the place. I'm sure his barking sounded like it was right at their camp. After I quieted him down, the flashlight went out and stayed off.

Barking dogs are also a sign of a nearby bear and the thought crossed my mind when I was down at the lakeshore 50 yds from the house... he stopped when I told him to so I knew I was ok.

I like hearing of the stories Magnus! keep em coming!

ps yeah, I can be long winded...😀

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jetstream said:

So much more observed but I wont bore everyone with it.

Never boring Gerry, keep ‘em coming!

Sounds like an amazing experience. It’s weird in some ways, the darker the sky, the brighter the Milky Way, the more tempting it is to leave any kit aside and just lie back and gaze up at it for ages.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

It’s weird in some ways, the darker the sky, the brighter the Milky Way, the more tempting it is to leave any kit aside and just lie back and gaze up at it for ages.

Yes, totally agree Stu, a dark, transparent sky is mesmerizing. Fall is a great season here, no bugs, clear skies (usually)  and really nice cool temps.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Campfires?…, I bet your neighbours were seriously missing on the view…

peter

Campfires not only get rid of the years brush but its a social thing- we like them too and will have a bonfire in October. They do kill dark adaptation though!