NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Why is the Double Double so called?

SteveBz

Why is Eps Lyr, the double-double, so called?  I was looking at it the other day and it seems to be an ordinary binary star.  I can't see what else there is to 'double'.  Even in Stellarium there nothing more to see. Here is a short snap of it:

af7e5005-9524-4ec2-9d78-dfc4c81aee01.thumb.jpg.abfc4dbb7b6782b865d111fdfbd28150.jpg

Kind regards,

Steve.

Edited by SteveBz

Hi Steve,

The two components of Epsilon Lyrae easily visible with binoculars, each split to reveal a binary star system.  If the seeing is good then 100x should reveal it well....:smiley:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Why is Eta Lyr, the double-double, so called?  I was looking at it the other day and it seems to be an ordinary binary star.  I can't see what else there is to 'double'.  Even in Stellarium there nothing more to see. Here is a short snap of it:

af7e5005-9524-4ec2-9d78-dfc4c81aee01.thumb.jpg.abfc4dbb7b6782b865d111fdfbd28150.jpg

Kind regards,

Steve.

You’ll need to up the magnification a bit, but each of those two stars is a double, Steve

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Why is Eta Lyr, the double-double, so called?  I was looking at it the other day and it seems to be an ordinary binary star.  I can't see what else there is to 'double'.  Even in Stellarium there nothing more to see. Here is a short snap of it:

Kind regards,

Steve.

Some good info on here Steve. As Saganite says, it’s a binocular double but in a scope each component splits into two, making the Double Double.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Kind regards,

Steve.

Ah - Eta Lyra - that's a double, but not "Double Double" - Epsilon Lyra.

Perhaps that's where the confusion is coming from.

I blame the Greeks! (not personally)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Ah - Eta Lyra - that's a double, but not "Double Double" - Epsilon Lyra.

Perhaps that's where the confusion is coming from.

I blame the Greeks! (not personally)

Well spotted. Sorry about that typo. I'll fix it now.

The double double is truly a beautiful sight, I was looking at them at 230x Friday night and it was a sight to see as all four were beautiful discs. Up the power and you will notice those "two" stars are actually four. If you are using a C8 this should be a piece of cake. The lowest magnification I could detect them as four stars is 90x in my 4".

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 3