Jupiter 26th Aug - SW300p/QHY462C

CraigT82

Captured after Saturn on the 26th (my last topic).  Seeing was average but very variable. Nearly junked this data after reviewing the sharpened stacks but decided to go ahead and derotate them and it's turned out quite pleasing although lacking in outright detail.

This image comprises 14x 90s captures between 11.20pm and 11.44pm. Best 10% were stacked.   

SW300p Newt and QHY462C, with APM 2.7x barlow and ZWO ADC.  Firecapture>AS3>Astrosurface>Winjupos>Gimp

Thanks for looking

2021-08-26-2234_UT-OSC-CT.png

Edited by CraigT82
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Nice processing Craig, Is it just me its almost like you can see its a 462c Certain quality in the colour. or something ? Maybe its just because i know you have that chip. Worth putting together Craig. But i know what your after, me too. Its just not playing ball for any of us in the UK lately is it.  Love that colour balance just right. 

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 1

Thanks all. Winjupos certainly saved the day with this one. The individual stacked tiffs look horrid when sharpened but derotating and stacking them all together really made the difference.

9 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Nice processing Craig, Is it just me its almost like you can see its a 462c Certain quality in the colour. or something ? Maybe its just because i know you have that chip. Worth putting together Craig. But i know what your after, me too. Its just not playing ball for any of us in the UK lately is it.  Love that colour balance just right. 

Thanks Neil. Yes I think it's possible to spot images done with the 462c they have a certain feel to them. Can't quite put my finger on what that is but it's probably something to do with the large overlap between the colours of the bayer  when compared to other cameras like the 224c. 

I think that 'calibrating' the camera using a colour chart has really helped with the colour balance for this one, barely needed adjusting at all in post process, just a slight tweak to reduce the murkishness effect of our atmosphere. These are the white balance settings I'm using in FC...

20210823_154433.jpg

5 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Thanks all. Winjupos certainly saved the day with this one. The individual stacked tiffs look horrid when sharpened but derotating and stacking them all together really made the difference.

Thanks Neil. Yes I think it's possible to spot images done with the 462c they have a certain feel to them. Can't quite put my finger on what that is but it's probably something to do with the large overlap between the colours of the bayer  when compared to other cameras like the 224c. 

I think that 'calibrating' the camera using a colour chart has really helped with the colour balance for this one, barely needed adjusting at all in post process, just a slight tweak to reduce the murkishness effect of our atmosphere. These are the white balance settings I'm using in FC...

20210823_154433.jpg

I am guessing that white balance might change. Depending on the situation. Any idea ? 

14 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

I am guessing that white balance might change. Depending on the situation. Any idea ? 

What I did was bring up a colour calibration chart on my phone screen and point the camera at it, then tweaked those white balance values until the colours the camera was outputting were as close as possible to the colours on the phone screen. 

Theoretically now everything I shoot with this camera with these settings should be close as I can get it to the true colour, with no colour cast other than the murky cast imbued by our atmosphere.

14 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

What I did was bring up a colour calibration chart on my phone screen and point the camera at it, then tweaked those white balance values until the colours the camera was outputting were as close as possible to the colours on the phone screen. 

Theoretically now everything I shoot with this camera with these settings should be close as I can get it to the true colour, with no colour cast other than the murky cast imbued by our atmosphere.

Its a good way of calibrating. your balance speaks for itself 

• Like 1