Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is it OK to use a telescope near a beach?

I would like to take my scope with me when I travel but I've heard that the humidity and salt water particles in the air could damage it, is this true? If anything, it would be used about 20-30 meters from the shore. Thanks in advance!

41 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

I would like to take my scope with me when I travel but I've heard that the humidity and salt water particles in the air could damage it, is this true? If anything, it would be used about 20-30 meters from the shore. Thanks in advance!

I've not used a telescope near a beach but I have used lots of cameras and lenses in the same scenario - some weather sealed and some not. The only (well twice!) time I've ever had an issue was when salt water splashed directly onto the camera - it killed the electronics instantly on one, and damaged the other camera beyond repair. As long as there is no spray in the air (i.e. storms) I would think you would be ok. I would probably be more concerned about sand particles getting inside the telescope tube or some of the mechanical parts - I never change a camera lens on a beach.

• Like 1

I live about 20 m from the sea. It's all fine.

I wouldn't go on or near the sand, and I'd avoid an onshore wind if the air is at all 'damp'.

Is you scope a reflector or refractor? I'd worry more about mirrored surfaces, I think.

4 minutes ago, powerlord said:

My immediate thoughts were that you were worried about people thinking you are perving on them. Clearly that is saying more about me. 🤣

I agree the phrasing could've been more adequate🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, powerlord said:

My immediate thoughts were that you were worried about people thinking you are perving on them. Clearly that is saying more about me. 🤣

Not just you. I thought exactly the same when I read the title. 😉😂😂

When I used to holiday (pre-virus days) I think I carried more weight of scope/binos/lenses than clothes!

Part of my luggage was always the optics cleaning kit. There is the obvious sand and salt spray. Less obvious are the accidents that bring sunscreen, salt water and sand in quantity.
For day to day cleaning, baby wipes will remove sand and sticky deposits from bright metal and plastic. Salt left on your bright and shiny tripod parts will soon have an effect.
Bottled water will help remove salt and sand before other cleaning.
For the glass, take a 100mL bottle of Baader fluid and some lens cloths with you. Don't forget a lens blower brush.

If all goes well you will return home with most of the cleaning kit and importantly your optical gear still in good order.
But if there are serious splashes, you are equipped to handle them.

After the event is the wrong time to go hunting around shops for cleaning kit.
Well maybe a bottle of cheap strong booze (vodka or white rum for example) as a substitute alcohol cleaner🍸

Obviously for flight your cleaning kit and tripod/mount will be in the hold baggage.
I always keep the expensive glassware in my cabin bag.

If you go to a hot and humid place, you can easily get caught out by moving kit between a (cold dry) air conditioned room and a steamy jungle.
But that is another subject.

HTH, David.

4 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

Can saltwater splash up a 5 story building from 30 meters away (without a storm)? I really want to avoid cleaning the lense if at all possible. 

If the weather is bad enough for airborne saltwater to be a concern... it is certainly too bad to be using a telescope!

7 minutes ago, Buqibu said:

Can saltwater splash up a 5 story building from 30 meters away (without a storm)? I really want to avoid cleaning the lense if at all possible. 

If the weather is going that way, I think it'll be obvious to you!

5d012407210000a718e72e8a.gif

Edited by Pixies
  • Haha 6