Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M78 revisit

Rodd

One advantage in having perpetually cloudy skies (among myriad disadvantages) is it affords one time to revisit and perfect (or degrade) ones images.  I have found M78 a very difficult target to make look good--well, its not so much M78 as it is the extensions around M78.  This image was taken with the FSQ 106 and TOA 130--about 34 hours of exposure in all.   I love this region.  there is so much structure and dimension to it.  

a.thumb.jpg.eef23d17ed39285bbc562979a6987cbd.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 34

1 hour ago, assouptro said:

Can I ask, what camera/cameras were used? 
cheers 

Bryan

I use the ASI 1600 mm cool pro.  I really want to upgrade to the ASI 2600 mm, but it will have to wait.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Just one more question Rodd

what size and brand filters do you use? 

Many thanks 

Bryan 

Bryan--I use 36mm Astrodon filters (3nm Ha, OIII, SII).  That's why I can't get an ASI 6200--I would need 2" filters and they are very expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Bryan--I use 36mm Astrodon filters (3nm Ha, OIII, SII).  That's why I can't get an ASI 6200--I would need 2" filters and they are very expensive.

Thanks for that 

I have the 1.25” 5nm astrodon set and I would like a camera with a bigger chip too so I totally understand your issue! 
cheers 

Bryan 

5 minutes ago, assouptro said:

Thanks for that 

I have the 1.25” 5nm astrodon set and I would like a camera with a bigger chip too so I totally understand your issue! 
cheers 

Bryan 

If they would design a camera so that a filter could be positioned very close to the sensor, we would not have this problem

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stuf1978 said:

I reckon so, compared with other targets within Orion it doesn't seem to get as much attention :)

Well, you know what they say--its a shame when the little pub tucked away in the quaint little village gets famous and inundated with tourists....😊

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice indeed. Not an easy target at all. I really hope to get a lot more on this target next winter

Thanks Michael.  Yes, I find M78 very difficult.  There are some targets that invariably need what seems like 10 times more data than what one expects.  I think for me, its LP and the dimness of all but teh brightest parts of this nebula.  The background is always a struggle.  I am wondering if a camera upgrade would help with this.  Like going from the ASI 1600 to the 2600--or would the more sensitive camera just pick up that much more LP.

Edited by Rodd

6 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Michael.  Yes, I find M78 very difficult.  There are some targets that invariably need what seems like 10 times more data than what one expects.  I think for me, its LP and the dimness of all but teh brightest parts of this nebula.  The background is always a struggle.  I am wondering if a camera upgrade would help with this.  Like going from the ASI 1600 to the 2600--or would the more sensitive camera just pick up that much more LP.

I only have a bout 5 hours on M78, using my Meade SN-6 6" F/5 Schmidt Newton, and (uncooled) ASI183MC. I hope to use the bigger, cooled ASI294MM-PRO next time round.

27 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I only have a bout 5 hours on M78, using my Meade SN-6 6" F/5 Schmidt Newton, and (uncooled) ASI183MC. I hope to use the bigger, cooled ASI294MM-PRO next time round.

Looking forward to seeing it