Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M78 revisit

Rodd

7 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

It really is a tricky one, I agree, but this is most attractive.

Olly

Thanks Olly - It lacks a certain 3 dimensionality in the surrounding region.  The core area is OK, but.....its hard to explain.  The best I can do is say it is like doing a puzzle.  You know, a 1,000 peace puzzle, but the image on the puzzle is a painting of mountains, not a photograph of mountains.  Anyway - that is how it seems to me.  

That is a great image Rodd! Reminds me that I have not aimed at it since I moved from DSLR to proper cameras. I remember processing was tricky and of course the end result was nowhere near as good as yours.

Edited by gorann

39 minutes ago, Waddensky said:

This is incredible! Pictures like this make it so clear that M78 and the surrounding NGCs are just small, illuminated parts of the huge dust clouds in the area. What a detail. Very, very nice!

Thanks  W.  I agree--its amazing how much dust and gas there are is the Orion region

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Really needs a lot more work

Yes but the only thing wrong with the image is lack of data.  The data that is there looks the way it should.  It has a look of realism to it--like what one might see in an eyepiece.   

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gorann said:

That is a great image Rodd! Reminds me that I have not aimed at it since I moved from DSLR to proper cameras. I remember processing was tricky and of course the end result was nowhere near as good as yours.

Thanks Gorann.  This target is relatively low in the sky for me, so it must be very low for you.  --like M8 and M20 are for me.  It makes it all that much harder.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rodd said:

Yes but the only thing wrong with the image is lack of data.  The data that is there looks the way it should.  It has a look of realism to it--like what one might see in an eyepiece.   

Indeed, data is the main thing. Will certainly revisit this winter, weather allowing