Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 180 targets?

Hi, 

Just got hold of a 180 Pro and wondered what would be good targets to first have a look at? 

Moon, Jupiter, Saturn (if it's not too low), m13. Where should I next be heading for? 

I've got the 9mm eyepiece it came with and a set of cheap 23, 10 & 4mm eyepieces too. 

Thanks in advance, 

Rich. 

Besides solar system objects, the comparatively narrow field of view and long focal length combined with decent aperture should be great for doubles, globulars and planetary nebula.

Install an app like Stellarium or Sky Safari and see what objects of those types are up at the times you will be observing.

Start with the 23mm and swap to the 10mm once you find the targets. Some will benefit from the higher mag. Others less so.

Put the 4mm away in a drawer. :)

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Besides solar system objects, the comparatively narrow field of view and long focal length combined with decent aperture should be great for doubles, globulars and planetary nebula.

Install an app like Stellarium or Sky Safari and see what objects of those types are up at the times you will be observing.

Start with the 23mm and swap to the 10mm once you find the targets. Some will benefit from the higher mag. Others less so.

Put the 4mm away in a drawer. :)

Good suggestions here. In addition to solar system objects,  I've particularly enjoyed views of double stars, globular clusters and some other tight clusters through the 180.  Galaxies didn't seem to view that well for me.

Edited by r3i
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chiltonstar said:

Certainly excellent for planetary, the Moon and double stars, but no slouch on DSOs either, although it is only 180 mm. For the latter, a 28 mm or so wide field eyepiece is useful.

Chris

Ah right, I'll add a few to the list and see how I get on. Thanks. 

Planets, moon, sun (with a suitable filter) are the obvious targets.

Double stars are also very easy to separate in most cases (and to image), even in light polluted cities like Athens.

A zoom eyepiece like the SVBONY 7-21mm is also a nice match with it (I am happy with it on my Skymax 180).

For wide angle views, a 35mm or so 2" eyepiece should be fine. Or even a binoviewer (I haven't tried one, but many love the combination with the Skymax 180, as far as I know)

N.F.