NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter 24th June ovals galore

neil phillips

7 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Excellent Neil, conditions are getting better by the day. 

It has improved. But seeing still very disturbed.  Only so far we can go with this i reckon. Some locations may do better than others. Shooting over houses here which pour heat out at night. Still plenty of detail to be had.

You have captured some lovely detailed images Neil.  I thnk that antares secondary is really doing the job for you. It as picked up some superb contrast in the early morning light. I'm looking forward to see what it can do in some darker Ideal conditions.

13 minutes ago, morimarty said:

You have captured some lovely detailed images Neil.  I thnk that antares secondary is really doing the job for you. It as picked up some superb contrast in the early morning light. I'm looking forward to see what it can do in some darker Ideal conditions.

Thanks Martin.  Its surprising we can get this kind of detail this year.. Its nearly always boiling.  Here is a short cropped clip from pipp. The capture this colour shot was taken from. Not using a ADC, not sure if i should be, I wonder if the improvement is worth the hassle. ? 04_17_50_pipp.zip

I know what you mean with the thermals, the only view south for me is straight down the street in front of my house... which comprises lovely new black asphalt!  shooting over that after a warm day is asking for trouble but I've got no choice unless I go mobile (not likely with a 12" newt).

Looking at your clip I think you might benefit from an ADC, there is a distinct blue fringe at the top and red at the bottom. 

image.png.9a6ff15365fc48bb08f81815b36889ed.png

2 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

I know what you mean with the thermals, the only view south for me is straight down the street in front of my house... which comprises lovely new black asphalt!  shooting over that after a warm day is asking for trouble but I've got no choice unless I go mobile (not likely with a 12" newt).

Looking at your clip I think you might benefit from an ADC, there is a distinct blue fringe at the top and red at the bottom. 

image.png.9a6ff15365fc48bb08f81815b36889ed.png

Yes i saw that. AS2 does such good job with rgb align i wonder how much of a improvement though. Hard to know without comparing and testing. Though i have seen examples on the net showing a improvement. Its the same with de rotation i did a 3 min derotated video. And compared. out of AS/2 the un derotated  video was actually looking better. AS/2 does such good job. With this amount of blur i suspect de rotation isnt achieving much tbh.

Edited by neil phillips

3 hours ago, neil phillips said:

Yes i saw that. AS2 does such good job with rgb align i wonder how much of a improvement though. Hard to know without comparing and testing. Though i have seen examples on the net showing a improvement. Its the same with de rotation i did a 3 min derotated video. And compared. out of AS/2 the un derotated  video was actually looking better. AS/2 does such good job. With this amount of blur i suspect de rotation isnt achieving much tbh.

Yeah I think that's the crux of it really, is there any point chasing those small gains from ADCs/winjupos when the seeing is by far the limiting factor where we are? For me it's a yes as there will be the occasional night when the seeing is perfect and I will want everything else to be perfect too so afterwards I have no regrets about what I might have captured if only I used this or did that.

Saying that though I find that derotation only works well when seeing was good and there are enough clear details visible to align the images properly, if the input images aren't great then the alignment is just guesswork and will probably just make things worse.

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Yeah I think that's the crux of it really, is there any point chasing those small gains from ADCs/winjupos when the seeing is by far the limiting factor where we are? For me it's a yes as there will be the occasional night when the seeing is perfect and I will want everything else to be perfect too so afterwards I have no regrets about what I might have captured if only I used this or did that.

Saying that though I find that derotation only works well when seeing was good and there are enough clear details visible to align the images properly, if the input images aren't great then the alignment is just guesswork and will probably just make things worse.

Pretty much agree with all that. I may at some point get a ADC for the best outcomes. But i am not in a rush. Hope we all make it to next year it will be a good year for jupiter in the UK. Dont think ive got my best this year just yet though. But its going to be limited. You getting any closer to be up and running. Your Fullerscope should do well.

On 24/06/2021 at 15:31, neil phillips said:

Some lovely ovals on show. Orion 245mm Newtonian. EQ5. QHY 462C. UV IR Cut IR685 Filters. Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow

02_07_56_pipp_lapl8_ap16.bmp four more frames 75.png

03_43_32_pipp_lapl6_ap47.bmp more frames.tif 75.png

more frames pipp.png 75.png

more frames pipp.png

Beautiful images, Neil. It's always great seeing Jupiter and Saturn on display!