Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ISS transit video 12 June 2021

kirkster501

Captured this from Cropwell Bishop near Nottingham, about 2 miles away from where I live, last Saturday at 15:05. A boiling hot day and sun was very high.   I was not bang in the middle of the transit, I was about 300m too far south to get the ISS bang across the diameter.  Oh well.....  This is my first ISS capture since I bought my Lunt T60Ha scope.  I used my ASI 174MM and was running about 80fps.  Used PIPP to create the GIF and I colourised it in Photoshop.  Hope you like it.  Still learning how to focus precisely on the disk but making progress, I was not too far out.

512770863_Sun_150522_Gain137(off)_Exposure.5ms_120621_f3068_pipp.gif.bd066595cdb21a5d00c6bf67dae41709.gif

Edited by kirkster501
  • Like 14

12 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I did get one within a knats of transiting Jupiter once with the 10"SCT.

Dave

Wow, I wonder how many metres off the centre line you could be to catch one of those and how fast would the video FPS need to be to ensure you captured it on at least 1 frame?

33 minutes ago, Seelive said:

Wow, I wonder how many metres off the centre line you could be to catch one of those and how fast would the video FPS need to be to ensure you captured it on at least 1 frame?

Not far....  The width of visibility from just passing the top of the disk to the bottom of the disk is about 4km, so not far at all.  A few hundred metres movement on the Earth's surface makes a big difference to the exact chord or diameter of visibility the ISS takes across the surface of the disk.  For example, for the top ISS image, I was almost at dead centre of the track the ISS took.  I only live about 2 miles away from the place where I took this image and yet it was not visible from my home at all and missed the disk completely from there.  Trigonometry at work!

Edited by kirkster501

Great stuff. I was inspired to check out the ISS tracing sight and there’s a small window, clouds permitting in the next few days.

Be interesting to see if there’s any software to track the China space station as well as it expands.