Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Newtonian Mirror. To wash or not to wash - that is the question

I'm going to flock my newtonian reflector and wondered if it would be sensible to wash the primary mirror while the scope is dismantled. It's not particularly dirty and most of the dust specks have come off using a camera lens puffer. Any advice please?

Thanks,

Stu

If you are sort of person that enjoys extreme sports / horror movies - then yes :D

Otherwise - no as it won't make much difference.

I did that with my first newtonian when I flocked it and at the time I was so worried that I'll damage the mirror in one way or another - that it caused adrenaline rush :D. Now looking back at it after some time - I really do think that it was unnecessary as far as views go - but interesting exercise and possibly good way to get more comfortable around optical equipment.

• Haha 1

Thanks all. I've flocked and rebuilt the scope. Not the best job if I'm honest but it's a real faff getting it all smooth and the sheets butting up against eachother properly for the full circumference of the tube. I didn't thoroughly wash the mirror but I did rinse it off under running water, then distilled water, and then let it air dry.

Stu

Hiya,

I’ve washed mine a couple of times, and it definitely improved the view, but then the mirror was pretty dirty (one of the problems of living in a rural location with lots of log fires around). Can you upload a pic?

kev