NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vintage Vixen SP102M F10 achromat purchase

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Lovely scope John, just a little shorter than the ED103s which is F7.7..maybe Steve/ @Saganite could post one of his ED103s dual mounted with Andromeda (his superb D&G 5" F15)☺️👍

Dave

Thanks Dave. My shortest refractor and one of the lightest and yet the only one that has a handle fitted. Must try harder ........ :rolleyes2:

Nice to see Andromeda again @Saganite with it's Japanese friend :smiley:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some great photos! Steve I didn’t know you had purchased a Vixen, it looks very smart on the new mount with Andromeda. Looking forward to some viewing with you in the Autumn.

All the Best

Linton

• Like 2

Hi Linton,

I purchased the Vixen last November just after selling the TakFC100.  The pair of beauties shown  came from Dave (f15 Rules).

You are both welcome anytime the sky obliges....:smiley:

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1

I had one of these back in the late 80's - Purchased from "Superscopes" in Bedford for well over a grand....Fantastic scope, but sadly I had to sell it a couple of years later to pay for my cars tax and insurance...

Your scope here is in showroom condition - not bad for a 30+ year old scope

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Went rummaging through some old photos.  The camera I had back in the day wasn't that great, so I tried a long exposure, which kind of worked if we had all remained still for five minutes :)

My Vixen 4" is arrowed with me to the right.  Taken at a public star party in Shephallbury Park, Stevenage....Circa 1987.  As you can see these Vixen 4" were quite popular at the time, with another to the right !

vixen.jpg.0080ce323e9967862d7fcc338b7f7280.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to find a really nice (looks like new) counterweight bar to replace the old one which was quite corroded. 

Also a nice polar finder scope which came off an old SP mount but fits the GP perfectly.

I've also added in a Skywatcher spreader bar and accessory tray to the old Unitron wooden tripod and this has really improved the stability when mounting the SP102 on it👍.

Just need to paint the white mount hub in green now, then should be about finished😉.

Dave

IMG_20210719_173002798.jpg

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Like 8

Looking very nice Dave, the Wilko green will go nicely on the tripod hub.

Lovely clean counterweight bar to boot.

I did a similar mod with a TAL wooden tripod for the GP but was very fortunate and @Alan White kindly donated me a genuine Vixen tripod hub and I picked up a Berlebach spreader which proved a vast improvement over the original thin metal tray on the original tripod.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Looking very nice Dave, the Wilko green will go nicely on the tripod hub.

Lovely clean counterweight bar to boot.

I did a similar mod with a TAL wooden tripod for the GP but was very fortunate and @Alan White kindly donated me a genuine Vixen tripod hub and I picked up a Berlebach spreader which proved a vast improvement over the original thin metal tray on the original tripod.

Nice guy me 😉

Of course I now have a set of wooden Vixen legs that need a tripod hub, came with a Vixen Alt-Az mount thats not very good, but the legs are fine, funny how things go over time.

By the way Ade, most happy I gave you the hub when I did and that you made fine use of it.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Alan White said:

Nice guy me 😉

Of course I now have a set of wooden Vixen legs that need a tripod hub, came with a Vixen Alt-Az mount thats not very good, but the legs are fine, funny how things go over time.

By the way Ade, most happy I gave you the hub when I did and that you made fine use of it.

I have one. In white so probably eq5 rather than vixen . Interested ?

Edited by skybadger
Sp.
  • Like 1