Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another "what to get" :)

Have done some reading but so confused.

My 14 yr old son want to stargaze.

Like a lot of teens he has a short attention span so to try to make it easy I got him a Celestron 4SE as the goto makes it simple.

I got a moon filter (great), but am wondering what other accessories I should get him as his birthday is coming up soon e.g. eyepieces, filters.

He wants to look at planets and stars I guess.

Thanks for your help

For his age, I would second the smartphone bracket. He can show his pictures to his friends.

Also, "Turn Left at Orion" is a must.

The "David Chandler Night Reader Pro LED Torch" is pretty cool too.

You could even send FLO a quick email, they are very helpful.

Clear Skies,

Alan

• Like 1

Have a look at the reviews on FLO for this telescope. There is one review from 2016 but have a read as towards the end he lists a number of extra's he has bought/got for this telescope, one of which is a bluetooth converter to control the mount from your phone, we all love bluetooth so I am sure your son would rip your arm off for that. :D Enjoy

On 23/05/2021 at 09:57, Kernowchris said:

Have done some reading but so confused.

My 14 yr old son want to stargaze.

Like a lot of teens he has a short attention span so to try to make it easy I got him a Celestron 4SE as the goto makes it simple.

I got a moon filter (great), but am wondering what other accessories I should get him as his birthday is coming up soon e.g. eyepieces, filters.

He wants to look at planets and stars I guess.

Thanks for your help

Do not introduce him to girls !! 

image.png.f743d6d6a1bc92aaf99c511618888944.pngimage.png.9662d66e046bab72b0a69b85a15bc5e4.png

Send a query to FLO - I am sure they can offer good options.

The 4SE is unusual in having a built-in flip mirror - a handy device for imaging planets and similar objects. Find them in the eyepiece view and then flip the mirror to engage a planetary video camera fitted on the other port.

Better eyepieces - the 9 or 10mm one in particular needs an upgrade.  You will need a dew shield, but it is easy to make one.  An external +12v power pack if you are still using primary cells to power the mount.

Although it sounds a bit difficult, and maybe a big step, but i would try to make him comfortable with a cheap Dslr to start simple imaging.  Something triggered my daughter (after losing interest of just looking through the eyepiece) when she start to “see” things that weren’t immediately visible through an eyepiece.  
I remember her looking at images of the Orion nebula made by a camera to start appreciating the dim views of that same object through the eyepiece afterwards.  It doesn’t have to cost the world.  A simple canon eos dslr (€80,-)and an adapter ring to connect it to the scope (€20,-). When he likes it you can build or buy a wedge for the scope you mentioned to make longer exposures.  😬Or are these steps to big?   Take a look at what this man does with his Celestron SE series.  

Edited by Robindonne

I suggest a planisphere, a simple device which gives you an instant idea of what is in the sky on what night. Unlike a mobile phone, it has a large enough surface to show all that is up there. They are also very cheap.

Astronomical observing is much more interesting if you know something of the science behind the faint smudges we see at the eyepiece, so a book on the basics would be a good idea. You know your son best so browsing at a large book shop, hands on, would let you see whether a given book would suit him.

Olly

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Most astro clubs will probably have a beginner's night as the observing season begins around September time, it's a place where people can go to ask questions and see kit and demonstrations hands-on, worth finding out about in your area.

I second the planisphere, there's also a nice little book called Stargazing Month-by-Month Guide to the Night Sky, published by Philip's.  A new edition is published each year so look out for it in book shops (I usually pick mine up in one of those discount bookshops), it has the top things to see each month and some nice facts and information.  A lot cheaper than a monthly magazine if all you want is observing suggestions, although there's usually plenty of interesting articles in the magazines if you think he'll read them (I like Astronomy Now myself, I generally only buy a mag if there's something very interesting in it that I want to read).

If your son has an iPad or similar device then consider an astronomy app such as Star Walk 2, there's also Moon Globe and similar.  I've found the paid-for extras in Star Walk 2 well worth the small asking price, interesting and educational for all ages.

• Like 1