Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light with the Takahashi FOA60(Q)

HollyHound

On 18/05/2021 at 22:43, HollyHound said:

Just realised that the nameplate has a gold like colour background rather than silver too... classy 😀

Oh dear, we really have succumbed to full blown Takophilia 🤣

I was just fiddling with my Tak FC 100 DZ (as one does) and I noticed the nameplate also had gold lettering. I then checked my Tak FC 76 DCU, which I’ve had for about 3 years, and same think there. I suppose they must have changed from silver to gold in recent years 🤔

• Like 1

Jeremy, baby blue young Tak FC100 DF with 'old' sun sticker and blue on brass No. plate.

The old retainer at the factory who puts these on at random chuckles every time he reads your posts!😁

PS @JeremyS good job you did not spot the Takafakey finder holder

IMG_20210521_174745.jpg

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Another I noticed is that my older Taks have a larger sun warning sticker than the more discreet one on the DZ.

image.thumb.jpg.5dab71eae49b2c99a8f8a4219383628f.jpg

Same, my FC-76DCU has the larger (older) sun warning and silver lettering, whereas the FC-100DC has the smaller sticker and gold lettering... interesting 🤔

My FC-76DCU was bought as an ex-demo model, so of course it’s likely an early model of course... although it’s absolutely immaculate as well 👍

A4706E26-134E-4187-BA46-14F7E89C1E0F.jpeg

93FA7E56-FFFD-45EC-8068-0D530CB7A067.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Takaholics do it kneeling down?

@HollyHound very jealous of the FOA 60Q - best spot diagram of any TAK ? If it cures floaters I'll have 2 in bino please! 🙂

IMG-e926eb21f17ec7ff340564501a3ef18e-V.jpg

Thanks, so far it’s been a superb scope and a joy to own and use 👍

Love that cake 😃

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

If it cures floaters I'll have 2 in bino please!

I think the lack of floaters may have been due to luck and possibly the slightly less bright image at that extreme magnification... no matter though, the view was still stable, clear and superb at 300x 😃

• Like 1

You may be right about floaters, I am most troubled on the moon ie light background and less on planets, small object and dark background. I have never tried to push the magnification through it but I will now, have always associated with the small exit pupil as main cause. Thanks for sharing detailed observations. 

After thought, I might try a darker density filter too?

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Finished the cake yesterday, the figure remains intact! 

See, even cakes are better with refractors on top. Bet it wouldn’t have tasted as nice with a reflector 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Same, my FC-76DCU has the larger (older) sun warning and silver lettering, whereas the FC-100DC has the smaller sticker and gold lettering... interesting 🤔

My FC-76DCU was bought as an ex-demo model, so of course it’s likely an early model of course... although it’s absolutely immaculate as well 👍

A4706E26-134E-4187-BA46-14F7E89C1E0F.jpeg

93FA7E56-FFFD-45EC-8068-0D530CB7A067.jpeg

Hello, sorry if this is a little off topic....

I See you have a set of the new More Blue scope rings with the two lock bolts, can I ask what you think of them, I have two Taks, the FSQ85 and the FS60cb and was thinking of getting for both of them...also what are the mounting holes spacings on the rings..?

thanks..

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stephenstargazer said:

The lady who made the cake did not ask the question.... I like both and sit not kneel, as you may imagine !

If it’s a Tak, there is only one stance possible: kneel.

😊

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Hello, sorry if this is a little off topic....

I See you have a set of the new More Blue scope rings with the two lock bolts, can I ask what you think of them, I have two Taks, the FSQ85 and the FS60cb and was thinking of getting for both of them...also what are the mounting holes spacings on the rings..?

thanks..

Hi Stuart,

I’ve not yet had a chance to use them on the mount (AZ100) yet, other than inside the house. They do seem very solid, match the silver accents on the scope and are very lightweight 👍

There are 5 holes on the top and bottom of each ring (all for M6 bolts). A central one, two spaced 20mm apart (10mm from the centre) and two spaced 35mm apart (17.5mm from the centre).

I’ve bolted them to a More Blue Vixen style 220mm dovetail bar (also silver) and all seems very secure. 

I have today ordered another of these dovetail bars, as it’s my intention to attach that to the top, thus allowing me to use as a handle, the flexibility of then mounting either left or right side on my mounts, but also I have a small vixen clamp with counterweight that I can then attach and move to balance the OTA if I use very heavy eyepieces (the other Taks, are all using 1.25” almost exclusively so this isn’t an issue).

Hope this helps

Gary

D0C079F0-BA87-49BC-B0AE-4630305A8CCC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stephenstargazer said:

You may be right about floaters, I am most troubled on the moon ie light background and less on planets, small object and dark background. I have never tried to push the magnification through it but I will now, have always associated with the small exit pupil as main cause. Thanks for sharing detailed observations. 

I was very surprised that at 300x (exit pupil of 0.2mm) that the view was was extremely relaxed. I thought I’d find it hard to keep the image in my eye easily, but no, it was lovely... getting dim, but for the moon, absolutely great. No need for lunar filter either and still showing detail, certainly as much as one could expect from a 60mm scope... even allowing for the “magic” of Takahashi 🤣

Edited by HollyHound
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I have today ordered another of these dovetail bars, as it’s my intention to attach that to the top, thus allowing me to use as a handle, 

I see what you did there, Gary

🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I was just fiddling with my Tak FC 100 DZ (as one does)

Funny isn’t it that sometime you just feel the urge to get them out of the scope bags and just hold them lovingly... or is that just me 🤣

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Peter Drew said:

No, it's not just you, Jeremy S is just the same!  🙂  Are you sure it's not a Tasco, they used to advertise such magnifications for a 60mm.  🙂

Indeed they did, although to be fair my very first scope was a Tasco, which I had when I was 11 or 12 (around 1978). I treasured that thing as much as I now treasure these Taks 😃

Bizarrely, I then didn’t touch a telescope again until Xmas 2019 (a Mak 102) and now here we are 18 months later and I have a whole office full of them 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Indeed they did, although to be fair my very first scope was a Tasco, which I had when I was 11 or 12 (around 1978). I treasured that thing as much as I now treasure these Taks 😃

Bizarrely, I then didn’t touch a telescope again until Xmas 2019 (a Mak 102) and now here we are 18 months later and I have a whole office full of them 🤣

Always good to be back in your comfort zone.    🙂

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

I was very surprised that at 300x (exit pupil of 0.2mm) that the very was extremely relaxed. I thought I’d find it hard to keep the image in my eye easily, but no, it was lovely... getting dim, but for the moon, absolutely great. No need for lunar filter either and still showing detail, certainly as much as one could expect from a 60mm scope... even allowing for the “magic” of Takahashi 🤣

I was just reading on CN about somebody using 0.18 mm exit pupil regularly  with an FOA 60 Q. Somebody pointed out that it’s at these v small exit pupils that the FOA Qs really pull ahead of the FC 60 Q.

I’m not letting my FC 60 Q, which happens to be sitting along side me as I write this, hear that, though 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

I was just reading on CN about somebody using 0.18 mm exit pupil regularly  with an FOA 60 Q. Somebody pointed out that it’s at these v small exit pupils that the FOA Qs really pull ahead of the FC 60 Q.

I’m not letting my FC 60 Q, which happens to be sitting along side me as I write this, hear that, though 😬

Oh wow, so perhaps there is something in it then 🤔

I bet your FC-60Q gives some stunning views as well though 👍

Prior to getting the FOA-60(Q), I was tempted by that very scope or indeed to add the extender to the FC-76DCU, but I think that the balance I have now works... one tiny super wide “binocular” view (FS-60CB), a fantastic “grab and go” all rounder (FC-76DCU), the “serious” scope for longer sessions on the AZ100 (FC-100DC) and this exquisite little FOA-60(Q) for doubles, lunar and planets in a super compact form.

Along with the 10” dob (for DSO and lunar too), this is more than enough for my remaining lifetime of observing 😃

I am resisting all temptation for anything bigger, even the mighty TSA120... for now 🤣

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I was just fiddling with my Tak FC 100 DZ (as one does) and I noticed the nameplate also had gold lettering. I then checked my Tak FC 76 DCU, which I’ve had for about 3 years, and same think there. I suppose they must have changed from silver to gold in recent years 🤔

For what it's worth, my FC100-DL has that gold touch on the plate as well. That one is 6 years old now.

I'm NOT a "takoholic" though, before anyone asks :rolleyes2:

Edited by John
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, John said:

For what it's worth, my FC100-DL has that gold touch on the plate as well. That one is 6 years old now.

I'm NOT a "takoholic" though, before anyone asks :rolleyes2:

OK, John. You’re safe here. But the first step along the road to recovery is to admit it.

🤣

• Haha 2